Holo Audio Spring DAC LEVEL 3 Kitsune Tuned Edition

I have not heard the Mojo. But I heard the chord Hugo in a nice system just yesterday. It sounded just the opposite.

Tight, fast and detailed bass, Great dynamics, Musical and transparent.

What was the setup in which you heard the Mojo ?

Mojo (amp+dac) with PC USB + Foobar - Ok sounding. Clean, black background. Timid bass, not enough resolving to reveal characteristics.
Mojo (as DAC) with PC USB + 6SN7 OTL tube amp + Foobar - Sucked big time. Slow gooey bass.
Mojo (as DAC+amp) + USB interconnect to phone - Slow and veiled.

Mojo in the context of portable setups is perhaps good sounding as most of the other portable stuff I've heard (Fiio X series, A&K jr,70,300, Sony ZX100 ) sucked.
However, in absolute terms the mojo is just about average.

On the other hand in terms of tone/timbre the Mojo is more agreeable than the Hugo. I've heard hugo only once (with HD800 unmodded) and could not tolerate it for more than couple of minutes. Treble glare, poor depth/headstage to name a few. Although it was supremely clean and tight bass.

A good read on Holo Audio Spring DAC :
Holo Audio - Spring DAC - Level 3 - "Kitsune Tuned Edition" - Impressions & Reviews | Super Best Audio Friends

Mojo (amp+dac) with PC USB + Foobar - Ok sounding. Clean, black background. Timid bass, not enough resolving to reveal characteristics.
Mojo (as DAC) with PC USB + 6SN7 OTL tube amp + Foobar - Sucked big time. Slow gooey bass.
Mojo (as DAC+amp) + USB interconnect to phone - Slow and veiled.

Mojo in the context of portable setups is perhaps good sounding as most of the other portable stuff I've heard (Fiio X series, A&K jr,70,300, Sony ZX100 ) sucked.
However, in absolute terms the mojo is just about average.

On the other hand in terms of tone/timbre the Mojo is more agreeable than the Hugo. I've heard hugo only once (with HD800 unmodded) and could not tolerate it for more than couple of minutes. Treble glare, poor depth/headstage to name a few. Although it was supremely clean and tight bass.

A good read on Holo Audio Spring DAC :
Holo Audio - Spring DAC - Level 3 - "Kitsune Tuned Edition" - Impressions & Reviews | Super Best Audio Friends

I think these observations are very system dependent. I know couple of people ( into nice high end ) who are using the Hugo. I am very familiar with one of the systems. They are very happy with the sound. The system I am familiar with is playing very well indeed :)

The HD 800 is a very transparent headphone. You are not only hearing the dac but everything upstream. It could be anything.

Finally got hold of spring DAC and enjoying the music like I used to enjoy in non digital olden days(cassettes and records). This NOS DAC has the sound which is non HIFI-ish, Light on ears (heavy on pockets though). emotional connection to music is more important...

Now its time to sell my delta sigma DAC, which is fortunately more musical and analogish than my earlier Gungnir DAC. and Now its time to say good bye to computer too...Rasp is the way..

Great job !

What amp and speakers are you running ? Also which edition of the dac did you get ?

Last edited:
Finally got hold of spring DAC and enjoying the music like I used to enjoy in non digital olden days(cassettes and records). This NOS DAC has the sound which is non HIFI-ish, Light on ears (heavy on pockets though). emotional connection to music is more important...

Now its time to sell my delta sigma DAC, which is fortunately more musical and analogish than my earlier Gungnir DAC. and Now its time to say good bye to computer too...Rasp is the way..

I got a level 3 Spring DAC. its early hours yet, but it is so wonderfully musical, I have never heard my HD800s sound better.

i don't understand the benefit of a "99.99% silver, custom (hand-wound), 100 VAC O-type power transformer".

Also holo audio themselves have a deluxe version with Upgrade to Jensen capacitors @ 1600 USD, there are so much better caps than Jensen, also Jensen is used in the power bank which again what i have heard from nelson pass is that makes no difference. I guess buying the basic version @ 1500 USD and doing the upgrades which may improve sound should cost less than the level 3 asking price of 2400 USD.

99.99% silver, custom (hand-wound), 100 VAC O-type transformer
All copper wiring is replaced with 1.5mm OCC silver
Input film capacitor is replaced with a Mundorf silver/oil capacitor
PCB plugs/connectors are removed and direct-wire connections are used
Standard IEC inlet replaced with Oyaide pure silver/rhodium plated connector
Standard fuse replaced with Audio Horizon Platinum Reference fuse
Upgrade to Jensen capacitors

i don't understand the benefit of a "99.99% silver, custom (hand-wound), 100 VAC O-type power transformer".

Also holo audio themselves have a deluxe version with Upgrade to Jensen capacitors @ 1600 USD, there are so much better caps than Jensen, also Jensen is used in the power bank which again what i have heard from nelson pass is that makes no difference. I guess buying the basic version @ 1500 USD and doing the upgrades which may improve sound should cost less than the level 3 asking price of 2400 USD.

99.99% silver, custom (hand-wound), 100 VAC O-type transformer
All copper wiring is replaced with 1.5mm OCC silver
Input film capacitor is replaced with a Mundorf silver/oil capacitor
PCB plugs/connectors are removed and direct-wire connections are used
Standard IEC inlet replaced with Oyaide pure silver/rhodium plated connector
Standard fuse replaced with Audio Horizon Platinum Reference fuse
Upgrade to Jensen capacitors

I never understood how esoteric 1m power cables could make a difference to the sound, when all the way from the power source upto the wall socket, it's some generic copper cables. But to some people they do. I'd say on the same continuum, a silver power supply would make a even more significant difference.

Does it noticeably sound better than the level 1? I cannot say. I did not audition a level 1. Suffice to say that this sounds, to my ears, noticeably better than price comparable DACs (esp. the American-Norse-toilet company) . This may be confirmation bias speaking, since it's been less than a day, but I am happy. My HD800s have never sounded better. Tim Connor and Jeff Zhu have done a great job.

For others, the level 2 might be fine. or even the level 1. and then, if you can get over the name, the value deal seems to be denafrips.

To each his/her own.

best wishes

Last edited:
I never understood how esoteric 1m power cables could make a difference to the sound, when all the way from the power source upto the wall socket, it's some generic copper cables. But to some people they do. I'd say on the same continuum, a silver power supply would make a even more significant difference.

for electronics which need lots of power may be, but a DAC which uses very less power a power supply transformer made out of silver would make the least amount of difference while a good quality Teflon output cap would make a great difference. Even replacing the power source with battery would have difference.

I will take back my comment about the Jensen power bank because using good quality caps in the power bank does make a difference.

I read good things about Holo Audio Spring DAC specially considering it is not super expense so if i were to buy one i would go with the base version.

How are you connecting your source to the dac? is directly through USB or SPDIF? or you have some kind of a USB bridge device in the middle?

Any more further impressions from those having the spring dac? Curious to know how true r2r dac sounds different. It makes me think that if one listens to such a dac, then there is no going back. ?

These days, i am not getting the same kick from my system aa before. I had not tried usb before, but after trying since couple of months, digital is sounding more unnatural and harsher to me compared to previous days. Though i have a tube buffer, the usb sound is making it less effective compared to non usb sound. I agree my source is not very good but still. Leaning towards a tube amp in near future. To be honest, these days my liking has temporarily shifted towards my bose earphones compared to my system. ?. I know its off-topic but sharing my shift in temporary experience.

Sent from Note5

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back