Home Stereo System - Help with Components !!

lestat

Hello All!

My first post on the forum so a short introduction follows :

Am a complete novice when it comes to audio components for a home stereo system , however some really useful threads in this community have enlightened me a bit.I am looking to build a home audio stereo system to be used primarily for listening to Music - Hard Rock , Classic Rock , Bit of Metal , Techno , Instrumental , Ghazals and Sufi.

After going through a lot of threads and considering my budget - 50k ( little bit flexible ) , i have worked out the following options for the 3 major audio components :

1. Player : pioneer bdp-160 ( 12 K approx ): Definitely want a player which supports all audio formats and seamlessly connects with iphone / ipod / USB.But if there is a better player in the same budget with these features , please do suggest!

2. Speakers : wharfedale 10 series / monitor audio MR2 speakers ( 19 k ) : Ppl are recommending the MR2 over the Diamond 10.1 which would be comparable in price with a 10.1 slightly more expensive.If i spend a little bit more to include the 10.2 in the list then i might as well go for the floor standing Monitor MR4( 28 k ) ( but currently its out of budget )

3. Amplifier : norge 1000 /marantz 5004( 19 k ) : Frankly i was very heartened to see an Indian brand like Norge being discussed in the same breath as some of the top amplifier brands but my only concern being no service support etc in Delhi for Norge.Hence more or less fixed on the Marantz 5004 ( 23 k )

IMPORTANT NOTE : My dad had purchased these in the US in early 70's and they still are in good condition although i have no idea how they will compare with the more modern setup above.

A) kenwood - kr 6160 stereo receiver : Kenwood KR-6160 on thevintageknob.org
B ) audio dynamics ( ADC ) - 303 AX Loudspeakers Pair

Need your expert advise to suggest if the Kenwood receiver can replace the Marantz amp which would free up enough money for me to go in for MR4 or maybe even better speakers.( attaching some pics for the kenwood receiver and ADC speakers )

Anxiously waiting for your valuable inputs over sleepless nights and hyper active days!

Attachments

• kenwood_front1.jpg
    kenwood_front1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 118
  • kenwod_back.jpg
    kenwod_back.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 118
  • adc_speaker_front.jpg
    adc_speaker_front.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 118
I think you can overlook the Blue ray player & combine the budget with a stereo amplifier...

Modern stereo amplifiers like Onkyo TX 8050 & Yamaha R N 500 have USB capability which play allmost all audio formats.... Check Onkyo & Yamaha showroom in your city to get an idea of them... They can be easily integrated with apple products....

1). BDP - Pioneer is the best in the entry segment and will tick all the boxes.
2). Speakers - an audition is a must - consider the Qacoustics 2020i - a little more expensive than what you've mentioned, but would sound better than the 2 you mentioned.
3). Amp - Marantz is a good entry level, you could search for the NAD 316, entry level series

and one last thing, get to listen to what you intend to buy, it really matters. you'll be surprised with subtle changes in the setup.

Cheers

I think you can overlook the Blue ray player & combine the budget with a stereo amplifier...

Modern stereo amplifiers like Onkyo TX 8050 & Yamaha R N 500 have USB capability which play allmost all audio formats.... Check Onkyo & Yamaha showroom in your city to get an idea of them... They can be easily integrated with apple products....

Thanks Elangoas

1). BDP - Pioneer is the best in the entry segment and will tick all the boxes.
2). Speakers - an audition is a must - consider the Qacoustics 2020i - a little more expensive than what you've mentioned, but would sound better than the 2 you mentioned.
3). Amp - Marantz is a good entry level, you could search for the NAD 316, entry level series

and one last thing, get to listen to what you intend to buy, it really matters. you'll be surprised with subtle changes in the setup.

Cheers

Hi Kanna

Actually my wants and needs have grown since the audition.So am streching the budget a bit.:D

Am looking at the following setup :

Player : Marantz 5004 CD Player

Amp : Marantz PM5004 / Yamaha A-S500

Speakers : Wharf 10.2 / Monitor Audio MR4 ( Floorstanders )

I tested the Marantz CD player +Marantz amp + Wharf10.1 / MA MR4 in the 1st audition. ( the place didnt have a wharf 10.2 for demo )

The wharf 10.1 seemed a bit richer in sound at low volume but the MA MR4 kicked ass at a higher volume and good thumpin bass.I felt the MR4 could do with a bit more powerful amp.Although it was just a short audition so not sure if i am correctly judging the speakers.Am still awaiting the audition for the 2 speakers with the Yamaha amp.

What do u recommend.For the amp and for the speakers.Any experience with the wharf 10.2 and MA MR4 , also the Marantz PM 5004 and Yamaha A-S500.

Happy to hear!

I tested the Marantz CD player +Marantz amp + Wharf10.1 / MA MR4 in the 1st audition. ( the place didnt have a wharf 10.2 for demo )

My first setup was a Marantz AVR SR 5002 with the Wharfedale Dia 9.2, I had a sub too, so it kinda summed it all. But the main reason for me to change my setup was when I listened to my 9.2 connected to my NAD 326BEE without a sub, that is when I realised the potential of a stereo amp and the speakers I had, it took the experience to a different level, that is when I upgraded to my current setup. I have very little knowledge than most people out here, but your in the right place to do all the research, but the ultimate decision can be made only by your ears

Coming back to your selection. the Marantz combo is a proven winner at the entry level, I dont think there is any other priced as competitive as them for their performance. I thought you were looking for iPod playback & do you have a large CD collection. If your playing back from a computer/laptop that has a digital out, I would suggest these amps Marantz PM6005/CA 651A, which have digital inputs and have more power to drive speakers. The computer will double up as an all in one solution. I personally dont have a dedicated CD player and I dont know the impact it makes on the listening experience.
As for the YAMAHA AS500 - havent got a chance to listen to them, but remember power specs are irrelevant in most cases, especially in the entry level amps. The Dia 10.1 / 10.2, didnt listen to them for long, but was not much of an up from the 9 series, thats what I feel. Floor standers most of them have a good punchy feel and are impressive, but they also loose the details which a bookshelf produce, the b/s on the other hand may not go low, there is always a subwoofer which can fill the gap, if your listening room permits it. I would suggest stick to a B/s when on a tight budget, you would get a better product for the money. Why haven't you tried any of the MA B/s, it would suit the kind of music you listen too.

Would be interested to know more on your hunt, dont hurry your decision, take a call after you have no more places to audition. while you audition try to stick to the same set of songs, which would help you judge better.

Cheers!

Why haven't you tried any of the MA B/s, it would suit the kind of music you listen too.

Would be interested to know more on your hunt, dont hurry your decision, take a call after you have no more places to audition. while you audition try to stick to the same set of songs, which would help you judge better.

Cheers!

Hi Kanna

Actually i did hear MA MR2 along with the other 2 speakers but didnt include it here , as i felt the Wharf and MA MR4 sound much better.

Have an audition coming up soon with the Yamaha Amp and a rerun with the Marantz amp.Will share my feedback.

Cheers

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back