Home Theater and 2.1

Cameraman58

Hello All!
Ok, after 5 days of research of AVR and seperates there seems to be a serious hole in regard to those who wish to use their 5.1 or 7.1 systems for serious 2.1, in my case vinyl.
Speakers; Def Tech Mythos 4 L&R, Mythos 3 Center, and the Gems Rear along with a new Def Tech 4000 Sub and a Sony STR-DG-810 and Sony 52 Bravia monitor, trust me in 2007 it was not cheap! Also have a PS3 for games and Netflix.
Will upgrade the audio first. The 2.1 problems seem to start with Marantz and spill over everywhere. Also wish to play my extensive iTunes collection.
Budget is 1-2 k that has a proven track record without the firmware update mess.
Thank you!
Stephen

Last edited:
Hello All!
Ok, after 5 days of research of AVR and seperates there seems to be a serious hole in regard to those who wish to use their 5.1 or 7.1 systems for serious 2.1, in my case vinyl.
Speakers; Def Tech Mythos 4 L&R, Mythos 3 Center, and the Gems Rear along with a new Def Tech 4000 Sub and a Sony STR-DG-810 and Sony 52 Bravia monitor, trust me in 2007 it was not cheap! Also have a PS3 for games and Netflix.
Will upgrade the audio first. The 2.1 problems seem to start with Marantz and spill over everywhere. Also wish to play my extensive iTunes collection.
Budget is 1-2 k that has a proven track record without the firmware update mess.
Thank you!
Stephen

welcome to the forum stephen. please post a query in what should i buy section and folks will be more responsive :)

1-2k $ is for amp ?

enjoy your stay here

Hello and thank you,
Considering the Emotivia XPA-5 amp along with the UMC-200 preamp and the Oppo 103D DVD player for $2,200USD total.
Must be able to play direct stereo with sub!
For vinyl fans I highly recommend my recent acquisition of the Album "Time Out" by The Dave Brubeck Quartet, it really keeps you on your toes with the various time counts.

Considering the Emotivia XPA-5 amp along with the UMC-200 preamp and the Oppo 103D DVD player for $2,200USD total.
Must be able to play direct stereo with sub!

Welcome to HFV. Sounds like a good combo. Oppo 103 is a BluRay player I guess. Another option is to get a Oppo 105 and drop the UMC. This BD player can be used as a preprocessor (it accepts HDMI Input) and they can directly drive the multi channel power amp. Though it lacks some necessary features of a preprocessor like room correction, it has an excellent SQ, better than the UMC. You can use it as a USB DAC too.

In direct stereo mode, the sub will not work with UMC-200.

Thank you for the response,
Just need a pre amp that will give me 2.1 direct! And 5.1 In another words direct stereo with the sub crossover, sounds obviously simple but yet unattainable.
Yes, I am not in need of room correction for my space is quite sonic friendly at 17'x 24'x7.5 with carpet.
My current AVR will only give me 2.1 in "Portable" mode. Is this being processed?

By 'direct' do you mean unprocessed signal path? If yes, I doubt if you will be able to use the sub at all. If you can use the sub, then its no longer direct since a crossover is applied on the signal (may be experts could confirm this).

In your AVR, when you set it as PORTABLE in surround mode, it is DSP processed.

If you keep the UMC in Stereo mode it does use the sub (but signal is processed). In Direct mode, no processing, no sub.

In Oppo 105 too, it is possible to have 2.1 mode in stereo mode as per this link:Using the Dedicated Stereo Outputs in a 2.1 Configuration OPPO BD UK

However, you can always run the preamp in stereo direct, split the RCA output and connect one end to the sub if you are very concerned about signal processing. Ofcourse, you have to change between:

Cable 1: Prepro LFE output to Sub: for movies
Cable 2: Prepro RCA split output to Sub: for music

Sorry if it sounds too complicated!

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back