Home Theater Capabilities....

bnrynn

Hello,

First up, let me say that I am very pleased to see such an active and high quality forum on AV, HT, HiFi. Salute all you frequent boarders.

I have a Marantz SR 3001 AV Receiver with Boston Acoustics Home Theater Speakers and a Samsung 26" LCD TV. To this I have connected:
a) Philips DVP430 DVD Player (the old top loading plain jane DVD player)
b) Tata Sky STB
c) Worldspace Receiver
d) My desktop

I have connected only the Audio components of the above to the Marantz. The video connections go directly to the LCD.

When I play movies on the DVD player, the sound quality is very nice and I can hear surround sound coming through all the speakers.

Switching to the Tata Sky, the sound that I receive is clearly only Stereo. Only the center speaker and the Front Left and Right seem active. On the AV receiver I use the Neo:Cinema Surround Mode for both DVD and TV.

a) Is this because Tata Sky does delivers only Stereo quality signals?
b) Is it me or is the sound quality across channels in Tata Sky very different? Without any change in settings I can see a difference between "Discovery - Travel and Living" and "Star World". I can feel the rear speakers being used on "Discovery - Travel and Living"
c) Do Airtel DTH / Dish DTH / other DTH/Cable services offer better quality sound?
d) Or havent I understood how to configure the AV receiver.

Thanks for your time,
Narayanan

1) This is absolutely due to the fact that the input signal is a 2-ch stereo.
2) Sound quality of each channel is different. It is the content provider who has to ensure the quality of the content. If the source is not good the amplifier/sound processor cannot do wonders with that.
3) For AV receiver configuration, you cannot do anything when the source is stereo. For multichannel just configure the crossover (for low freq to be directed to the sub).

Thanks,
Ashish

Hello,

First up, let me say that I am very pleased to see such an active and high quality forum on AV, HT, HiFi. Salute all you frequent boarders.

I have a Marantz SR 3001 AV Receiver with Boston Acoustics Home Theater Speakers and a Samsung 26" LCD TV. To this I have connected:
a) Philips DVP430 DVD Player (the old top loading plain jane DVD player)
b) Tata Sky STB
c) Worldspace Receiver
d) My desktop

I have connected only the Audio components of the above to the Marantz. The video connections go directly to the LCD.

When I play movies on the DVD player, the sound quality is very nice and I can hear surround sound coming through all the speakers.

Switching to the Tata Sky, the sound that I receive is clearly only Stereo. Only the center speaker and the Front Left and Right seem active. On the AV receiver I use the Neo:Cinema Surround Mode for both DVD and TV.

a) Is this because Tata Sky does delivers only Stereo quality signals?
b) Is it me or is the sound quality across channels in Tata Sky very different? Without any change in settings I can see a difference between "Discovery - Travel and Living" and "Star World". I can feel the rear speakers being used on "Discovery - Travel and Living"
c) Do Airtel DTH / Dish DTH / other DTH/Cable services offer better quality sound?
d) Or havent I understood how to configure the AV receiver.

Thanks for your time,
Narayanan

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back