Home Theater Speaker Setup guide.. Subcenter2009's 30 minute method..

Subcenter2009

Dear readers,

I just replied to our member dear Pupupuchi and I thought that this information will be useful to many people looking for an easy and commonsense way to set up their Home Theater the manual way.. Please excuse me for re-posting this article..Thanks guys and do read up on "My Way".

I will tell you the easiest and most logical method I used to setup my HT system.

I have an ancient Yamaha RX-V 450 with Wharfedale Zaldek S2000 L/R 250 W input and Zaldek Center 175W,with Bose 161 surrounds 10-100W, 2 Torvin Surround backs in series 85Watts each and Wharfedale SW-150 (150 Watts) subwoofer in front with Reginald dual 8" 2 channel 50 W/channel active sub at the back of the room.

I have set all speakers except my front L/R s to small. Front left/right are set to Big because the Zaldeks can really handle the bass without any problem. I am feeding bass to both the Fronts and the Subwoofer. If you are using Bookshelves, then it is better to set even the Front L/Rs to small and set bass output to Subwoofer only, because then, the subwoofer will handle the mid-bass frequencies without any trouble.

The subwoofer's crossover is open all the way and allows all bass frequencies through though the AVR's low pass filter is set at 90 Hz in my specific case. You can play around with Bass settings from 80 Hz to 120Hz and settle on what you like in your case.

I am using a LG 30 series 42 inch LCD TV for the last 3 years.

Planning to upgrade to LED projector (at least 1000 lumens) when it becomes affordable.. Maybe in the next 2 years.. Let's see.

Nobody has posted this exact method on this forum I think. I think I may be wrong.

The members may be zealously guarding the knowhow as for those in the industry, it is their livelyhood... I just want to help out..

It will surely make even budget systems sound impressive if done right.

U can do it using just what you have at hand.

The distance setting in an AVR is nothing but the DELAY adjustment method.

Using pink noise generated using either a sampling CD or your AVR's inbuilt noise tone, keeping the AVR on all channels stereo mode, First play the Center channel and the Front L/R channels together and sitting in your listening position, set the distance(Delay) till peak loudness is reached. Other channels should be muted. U can use a tone between 350Hz and 1KHz if you are using a calibration CD.

Then,Minimise the Center volume and switch on first the Left surround and L/R speakers and listen for peak volume.. then, the Right surround and left/right speakers and adjust for peak volume, while adjusting the distance/delay after muting the other channels.

Then do the same to the back channels if any.

This ensures that the speakers are firing in Phase.

While adjusting the subwoofer levels, most AVRs play low bass notes. You should look for peak level from the Front L/R and sub while played together with other channels muted. You may have to increase the overall volume levels while adjusting this as most humans can't hear most of the sound generated.

U can start with the sub at 12 'o' clock ie, at half volume.

After ensuring all the speakers are in phase, U may adjust the individual volume levels of each channel at a time as required.

Start with the same levels on all channels and listen for apparent loudness then do the fine tuning.

A SPL meter will be helpful though not a must for the trained ear..

Note that this method is cumbersome and requires respective adjustment of each speaker seperately while muting other channels.. Hence a lot of patience.

Hope this is helpful..

Yours,

Subcenter 2009.

The end is rewarding indeed.:clapping::yahoo::cheers:

Last edited:
I did not understand "Peak Loudness" . If keep on increasing the distance the loudness keeps on increasing. so Peak loudness is at the maximum distance ?

Aim: All speakers in Phase at listening spot after distance adjustment.
As far as my Yamaha RX-V 450 is concerned, "Speaker level" Toggles between any two of the 6.1 speakers. "Speaker distance" allows you to adjust delay while playing back a source. You have to set one of the front channels at the right distance as a reference and the other speakers in relation to that speaker. Which means, my method of adjusting and setting peak volume while playing back the same tone in all channels stereo mode comparing the Front Left or Right or Center speaker with all the other speakers one by one and ensuring that all the speakers are in phase and peak at the LISTENING POSITIONwill work only if you playback a tone generator CD/DVD preferably between 350Hz - 1KHz, or you are blessed with excellent hearing.
I use the Soundcheck II sampling CD by Alan Parsons Project which comes with a groovy Sound Pressure level meter (SPL meter) built in. This SPL meter responds to all frequencies equally so, makes level adjustment a cakewalk. My brother bought this CD for me in the US and sent it by USPS post and I got it without much hassle. Yes, u can buy the CD online but it is not mass produced, I think.. try your luck and see.
Another thing I noticed is that while setting Distance/ Delay, The peak volume setting need not happen at the precise distance. So, If the distance between Front and surround right is 10 feet, the peak may happen either at 10 feet or 9 feet or 11-12 feet. But usually the full range speakers peak correctly. You may notice this mismatch in distance usually in the subwoofer settings. Anyway, my advice is: set the distance using perceived peak volume..not the correct/shown distance and you'll get lovely tight bass.
I did not intend to mislead anybody.. Hope what I mean is clear.
Subcenter2009

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back