Home Theatre Audio @35K - Suggestions needed

ruenigma

The HT setup is almost ready and demand a decent audio setup on a budget.

Current setup includes:
HTML:
HTPC
e5200 + OCZ Vanquisher
G31M-S2L
2GB 800 MHz
4670 with HDMI
50" Plasma

Other equipment i need to use the audio setup for will be

[IMG2]TataSky : analog L+R
PS2 : Optical SPDIF
Wii (coming soon) : Dunno
ipod touch 16gb : auxillay in[/IMG2]

The room is 20x10x10. The surroundings are very noisy as its close to a busy road.

Budget is 35K not extendable.

Cabling is already in place for a 5 speaker setup. Subwoofer cable will need to be purchased which preferably have to be accomodated in the said budget.

ZERO wife acceptance issues so even a fuglier setup is welcome if it serve its purpose.

I auditioned the following HTiBs so far.
1. Jamo S406 speaker setup with a sherwood amp(They only had this one for some strange reason) : Too muffled sound, the wood (whatever it was) was sounding pretty cheap, so out of question.

2. Onkyo 3100: nothing to eve talk about.

3. Yamaha YHT -195
This one sounded cleaner than the both above but stilll lacked the clarity and detail i am looking for, but for the money this did sound like a thing to consider.

4. HK130 + JBL SCS140
Another good choice and so far best of the lot. Would have loved to listen to the SCS178 from JBL but it was not available, neither did i get a quote for this.

5. Onkyo s5100
Did not justify the cost in terms of speakers. The electronics do seem promising and looks to be the most feature rich of the lot. Still the combo number 4 sounded neat as againt this 35K setup.

Additional thoughts:

How good is the HK130 as a amp? Since it costs ~12K i can consider getting a decent speaker package for the remaining 23K.

Is there a similarly priced decently performing amp in the same price range? Hint: Cranky's Pio may be?

And what speaker package can be had for ~20K to augement the Amp.

Last edited:
Hi any mumbai visits planned?
Check my old posting ( admin can I paste the link/)I've suggested some setups in hypercity vashi - if you want towers a 5 speaker jamo set without sub is rs 16000- it is available @ e zone also
Pls contact for further assistance.

hemant

@hemant: thanks for the suggestion.

The jamo speaker package you suggested is the s406 which i've heard and found to be not good enough for my taste. I have mentioned this already.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back