Home Theatre from Ground Zero

karthyyyy

Dear all,

I am planning to setup a dedicated home theatre in a room 14 feet X 10 feet X 12 feet (LxWxH). My total budget is 2.5 Lakhs including minimal acoustics and can stretch 20k-30k. Received a quote for Denon AVR + Taga 5.0 + Polk Atmos + Polk Subs + BenQ TH585 + 110 inch + Cables + Ceiling Acoustics for around 4 Lakhs INR from a vendor which I feel is overpriced. After going through reviews, my starting list is

1) Projector :- Epson EH-TW5650 or Optoma HD27E. Which one should I choose ?

2) Screen :- Suvera 110/120 Inch Fixed frame. Whether 110 inch diagonal will be too big for my room ?. Room width is 10 feet and Seating (3 Seater) is planned at 12-13 feet. Whether the screen size will give strain ? So many calculations are there online and confused among them.

3) AVR :- I think Denon X1600H 7.2 is fine. If any better option is there please suggest.

4) Speaker :- Elac Cinema 5.1 or Polk Blackstone TL 1600 5.1. Which one should I choose ? Whether the speaker selection is fine for my room size ?

5) Dolby :- I think Polk RC60i (2 Nos) is fine. If any better option is there please suggest.

6) Player :- I am planning to watch Movies/Shows from Prime/Netflix. Should I consider a BR player or NVIDIA Shield ? This will stretch my budget more I think.

7) Acoustics :- As of now I am planning acoustics only for ceiling and a floor carpet. Should I consider side walls also ? This will stretch my budget more I think.

8) Any idea from where I will get the star light ceiling :)

Need your valuable suggestions in choosing the setup. I have gone through many of the introduction threads and some of the equipment suggested were out of stock online or available at original price without any discount (whereas the price mentioned in the threads were 10-20% less). I am from Trivandrum, Kerala.

Thanks in Advance.
Karthik

Dear all,

I am planning to setup a dedicated home theatre in a room 14 feet X 10 feet X 12 feet (LxWxH). My total budget is 2.5 Lakhs including minimal acoustics and can stretch 20k-30k. Received a quote for Denon AVR + Taga 5.0 + Polk Atmos + Polk Subs + BenQ TH585 + 110 inch + Cables + Ceiling Acoustics for around 4 Lakhs INR from a vendor which I feel is overpriced. After going through reviews, my starting list is

2) Screen :- Suvera 110/120 Inch Fixed frame. Whether 110 inch diagonal will be too big for my room ?. Room width is 10 feet and Seating (3 Seater) is planned at 12-13 feet. Whether the screen size will give strain ? So many calculations are there online and confused among them.

3) AVR :- I think Denon X1600H 7.2 is fine. If any better option is there please suggest.

4) Speaker :- Elac Cinema 5.1 or Polk Blackstone TL 1600 5.1. Which one should I choose ? Whether the speaker selection is fine for my room size ?

5) Dolby :- I think Polk RC60i (2 Nos) is fine. If any better option is there please suggest.

6) Player :- I am planning to watch Movies/Shows from Prime/Netflix. Should I consider a BR player or NVIDIA Shield ? This will stretch my budget more I think.

7) Acoustics :- As of now I am planning acoustics only for ceiling and a floor carpet. Should I consider side walls also ? This will stretch my budget more I think.

Need your valuable suggestions in choosing the setup. I have gone through many of the introduction threads and some of the equipment suggested were out of stock online or available at original price without any discount (whereas the price mentioned in the threads were 10-20% less). I am from Trivandrum, Kerala.

Thanks in Advance.
Karthik
Hi Karthik,

I am not a expert or experienced user. But, based on the knowledge i collected, I shall share my views on few of the points.

1. In 14 x10 room is a good sized room and towers will give good envelop compared to those packaged speakers esp. the sub comes in that package won't give good lows and very much under powered. You can plan Tags 5.0 package and a good ported Sub since your focus on the movies.
Other option would be, invest good FS and surround you can manage with Polk owm3 or Taga speakers. Invest good amount on LCR + Sub. Surrounds and Atmos can be compromised to certain extent as they won't be engaged all the time.
2. With just 10 ft width, first reflection points may be little problematic. So, putting a acoustic panel at that point will help to avoid those early reflections.
3. If you are planning to install rear surround speakers, ensure ur seats placed at least 3 ft from rear wall. Otherwise its OK, I think.
4. I am not sure, but i feel X1600h may be little underpowered for the HT unless all speakers are 8 Ohms. At least x2700 would give 50w more compared to 1600h.

Dear all,

Thanks in Advance.
Karthik
1) The 5650 is a decent projector at its price. should cost around 80k-85k . You have additional features like lens shift . Contrast is also better than the optoma
2) 12 feet seating for a 110 inch screen will be the recomended THX seating distance. how much does the suvira cost? The elite screens sable series fixed frame costs 25k. if its not a huge difference go for elite screens.
3) 1600h is a decent avr but the online prices are pretty high. try going to local dealers. Even the the yamaha v585 is a decent one. They will not cost more than 50k.
4) go for a taga 5.0 package 30-40k+ subwoofer - 20-30k
5)yes the polk ceiling speakers are good. approx 15k
6)how are you planning to watch netflix/ prime ? many of the streaming devices do not support atmos on netflix. then you will have to get a shield tv.

All these cost around 2.5 lakh

Use the 20-30 k you can strech for the rest carpet cables etc.

side wall acoustics can be done if need later.

@karthyyyy - sorry my bad the model is S930h.
further details -
Denon S930H - 7.2 Channel A/V reciever (https://www.cnet.com/products/denon-avr-s930h-av-network-receiver-7-2-channel/)
Age - 1 year old, bought from US, 110V power supply
Cosmetic Condition - 9/10 (no scratch visible, reduced 1 mark just because its not in original box)
Functional Condition - 10/10
uses - only used for couple of times in last 1 year
Reason for Sale - no space for home theater
What included -
- One HDMI Cable
- One Optical cable
- Audyssey Mic
- Remote
- Original Booklet
- AM/FM Antenna
Expected Price - 28K (slightly negotiable) + Shipping

WhatsApp @ 9810882583

Dear all,

Thanks in Advance.
Karthik
I can commentt on 3,4 , 5 and 6

1600h is fine, I'm using it . its very good. I m very happy until you need two HDMI outputs.

If you are more into movies I'm recommending polk. Polk S55 (Left and right) + polk S30 center + polk S10 for surround + polk OWM3 for atmos. ( polk are 8ohms with high sensitivity so you can go ahead for it , In case if you choose 6 ohms speakers with less sensitivity than you need to go with 2700h receiver)

If you buy a BR player than you need to keep buying blue ray discs. I suggest NVIDIA shield or Xbox X or Ps5 ( when you need 4kgaming in it) or just go ahead with firestick it will support 5.1 contents mostly.

I have not used it. I'm using my TV's inbuilt apps for streaming.
So far I know, amazon firestick is fire OS and MI is android. Apart from MI you can also check with airtel Xstream for android based streaming device.
Dont use DTH anymore. Does Fire tv stick 4k comes with Usb port like Mi box 4k?

Hi Karthik,

I am not a expert or experienced user. But, based on the knowledge i collected, I shall share my views on few of the points.

1. In 14 x10 room is a good sized room and towers will give good envelop compared to those packaged speakers esp. the sub comes in that package won't give good lows and very much under powered. You can plan Tags 5.0 package and a good ported Sub since your focus on the movies.
Other option would be, invest good FS and surround you can manage with Polk owm3 or Taga speakers. Invest good amount on LCR + Sub. Surrounds and Atmos can be compromised to certain extent as they won't be engaged all the time.
2. With just 10 ft width, first reflection points may be little problematic. So, putting a acoustic panel at that point will help to avoid those early reflections.
3. If you are planning to install rear surround speakers, ensure ur seats placed at least 3 ft from rear wall. Otherwise its OK, I think.
4. I am not sure, but i feel X1600h may be little underpowered for the HT unless all speakers are 8 Ohms. At least x2700 would give 50w more compared to 1600h.
Hi Selvaa,

Thanks for the suggestions.

1) As per your suggestion, I have gone through the reviews of packages with Tower speakers. Got a quote for Polk Fusion-T series and Wharfedale Crystal 4.3. Both are having 5.1 package with a 13K price difference (Wharfedale is costlier). Found excellent reviews for Polk T50 towers but a person close to me suggesting T50 is having only 1 speaker and rest 2 are radiators and Towers contribute to 30-40% of total audio and needs to be concentrated. So confused between 2.

2) Yes I have discussed with one acoustic guy and he is also suggesting the same. Full acoustics will take 1.5L which will exceed my budget. So planning ceiling and carpet and those panels.

3) Whether I can put surround speakers parallel to sitting instead of rear and get the experience. In that case I can increase my viewing distance and screen size. Since this much money is invested wanted to have the biggest screen but should not be strained.

4) Let me see other options

Regards
Karthyyy

1) The 5650 is a decent projector at its price. should cost around 80k-85k . You have additional features like lens shift . Contrast is also better than the optoma
2) 12 feet seating for a 110 inch screen will be the recomended THX seating distance. how much does the suvira cost? The elite screens sable series fixed frame costs 25k. if its not a huge difference go for elite screens.
3) 1600h is a decent avr but the online prices are pretty high. try going to local dealers. Even the the yamaha v585 is a decent one. They will not cost more than 50k.
4) go for a taga 5.0 package 30-40k+ subwoofer - 20-30k
5)yes the polk ceiling speakers are good. approx 15k
6)how are you planning to watch netflix/ prime ? many of the streaming devices do not support atmos on netflix. then you will have to get a shield tv.

All these cost around 2.5 lakh

Use the 20-30 k you can strech for the rest carpet cables etc.

side wall acoustics can be done if need later.
Hi Amit,

Thanks for the reply.

1) Should I add 40K to TH-5650 and get Epson TW7100-4K. Whether the extra amount is worth ?

2) Yes I have seen the calculations but not sure since I couldn't get a feel till now. Searched a lot in this forum and found that most people are preferring less than the recommended distances. But not sure whether any strain will be there ? :( Got a quote of Elite 100" for 24K and Liberty Fixed frame screen.

3) Got a quote for Yamaha v585/Denon 1600H/Denon S750/Denon S930H(from this post). Need to decide

4) So now confused between Polk Fusion T-series, Wharfedale Crystal 4.3 and Taga Harmony 606 + Woofer. Polk is a reputed brand but seeing some really good reviews (mainly foreign sites) and mixed reviews.

5) Thanks

6) Yes but I have read if streamed through Windows PC, Netflix will give Atmos. Need to verify

Regards

Karthyyy

I have not used it. I'm using my TV's inbuilt apps for streaming.
So far I know, amazon firestick is fire OS and MI is android. Apart from MI you can also check with airtel Xstream for android based streaming device.
Hi,

I am having Older firestick and planning to but new 4K. My internet connection is Airtel and they are giving some offers for Xstream. I will check the reviews. Thanks for the suggestion. :)...

Regards
Karthyyy

I can commentt on 3,4 , 5 and 6

1600h is fine, I'm using it . its very good. I m very happy until you need two HDMI outputs.

If you are more into movies I'm recommending polk. Polk S55 (Left and right) + polk S30 center + polk S10 for surround + polk OWM3 for atmos. ( polk are 8ohms with high sensitivity so you can go ahead for it , In case if you choose 6 ohms speakers with less sensitivity than you need to go with 2700h receiver)

If you buy a BR player than you need to keep buying blue ray discs. I suggest NVIDIA shield or Xbox X or Ps5 ( when you need 4kgaming in it) or just go ahead with firestick it will support 5.1 contents mostly.
Hi,

Polk S55 itself is 62K. :(.. Way out of my budget...
S30 is 25K
S10 is 20K
OWM3 is 17K

Thanks
Karthyyy

Hi Selvaa,

Thanks for the suggestions.

1) As per your suggestion, I have gone through the reviews of packages with Tower speakers. Got a quote for Polk Fusion-T series and Wharfedale Crystal 4.3. Both are having 5.1 package with a 13K price difference (Wharfedale is costlier). Found excellent reviews for Polk T50 towers but a person close to me suggesting T50 is having only 1 speaker and rest 2 are radiators and Towers contribute to 30-40% of total audio and needs to be concentrated. So confused between 2.

2) Yes I have discussed with one acoustic guy and he is also suggesting the same. Full acoustics will take 1.5L which will exceed my budget. So planning ceiling and carpet and those panels.

3) Whether I can put surround speakers parallel to sitting instead of rear and get the experience. In that case I can increase my viewing distance and screen size. Since this much money is invested wanted to have the biggest screen but should not be strained.

4) Let me see other options

Regards
Karthyyy
First of all short list what all speakers are coming under your budget and try to hear them yourself because reviews are not ur going to rely on.. You should rely on your ears. Should get the gear which satisfy your ears.

You can also try used speakers from for sale forum then you can get good package at lower cost

Dear all,

Thanks in Advance.
Karthik

Hi.

Just a few suggestions.

Denon X1600H is fine. Go with it.

Speakers :
- In my view, Tower speakers in a AV setup are a waste. Especially if you are trying to bring down costs.
- Good quality book shelves are far betteer than budget towers
- Speakers are ayway going to be set to small in the AVR settings, and the sub will handle low frequencies
- This is one area where you can save money. Get good bookshelf speakers. You will be very happy with the sound quality.
- Polk speakers are good value. I would actually suggest the older RTi range :
- RTi A1 - for fronts
- CSi A4 for centre
- FXi A4 for surrounds
- Polk sub DSW Pro 550
- If you buy receiver + speaakers from the same place, you can get a good deal.
- Try ProFX

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back