home theatre system for around 45K

rsd0459

hi guys am new to this community and I finally want to break free from the world of pre assembled music systems and when I say that I mean the SONYs,ONKYOs and ofcourse the BOSEs of the world!!
So this is where your expertise comes in, am looking to assemble a Home Theatre system, I have a budget of around 45K or 900$.
I was thinking of spending around 15K or 300$ on the receiver/amplifier and the rest on speakers.
I can pick up stuff from Singapore because it will obviously be cheaper then India, so if anyone knows a shop in Singapore where i can get the suggested stuff would really be a great help!
So can you recommend a suitable configuration.
Now I have some basic doubts, is it possible for a receiver to convert a 2.1 input to a 5.1 output?
What do I need to keep in mind when I am matching the speakers to the receiver? (impedence?)
I guess thats all for now, will keep picking your brains as and when something comes to my mind.
Thanks..

So this is where your expertise comes in, am looking to assemble a Home Theatre system, I have a budget of around 45K or 900$.
I was thinking of spending around 15K or 300$ on the receiver/amplifier and the rest on speakers.

I would have been happier if your budget had been around 100K. That way you can set up a decent HT.

I can pick up stuff from Singapore because it will obviously be cheaper then India, so if anyone knows a shop in Singapore where i can get the suggested stuff would really be a great help!

You can get all you want from just 2 buildings -Sim Lim Square and The Adelphi.

The AVR to look for are Yamaha 663 and the new Denon 1910. You can get a 5.1 speaker set such as the Q-Acoustics 1010i or the Energy Take 5.

Now I have some basic doubts, is it possible for a receiver to convert a 2.1 input to a 5.1 output?

There are multiple methodologies available to play a stereo sound on all channels. These are called DTS Neo:6, Dolby's Pro Logic II and IIx. Any AVR that supports these decoders can play a 2.1 or 2.0 sound on all channels.

What do I need to keep in mind when I am matching the speakers to the receiver? (impedence?)

Most AVRs will have ouput power rated at 6 ohms while most speakers will be rated at either 6 or 8 ohms. Just ensure that your AVR has ample power over the max rating of the speaker. For example, if you speaker has a rating of 30 to 100, your AVR should have a output power rating of 120 to 150 watts at the same impedance.

Cheers

hi guys am new to this community and I finally want to break free from the world of pre assembled music systems and when I say that I mean the SONYs,ONKYOs and ofcourse the BOSEs of the world!!
I guess thats all for now, will keep picking your brains as and when something comes to my mind.
Thanks..

At this budget you will not be able to assemble anything decent with either the AVR or the speakers being shortchanged. Better option is to go for a 7.1 HTIB and replace the front and center speakers. The surround speakers from the HTIB can be used.

All AVRs will have DSP settings to play 2.0/2.1 content in 5.1/7.1 like Venkat sir mentioned.

if singapore is following global treands then you might get unusual discounts..

Anyway first confirm baggage allowance as speakers are not weight or space friendly ..are you travelling together -so that you can save space

what dvd player you are planning you use? or you have it already?

anyway if weight penelty is too high buy avr from sg and speakers from india

also iam seein good discounts on Non HD audio AVR's so try to get 7.1 non HD audio AVR and later acquire Blue ray player with 7.1 analougue out...

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt reply but the weight factor is absolutely not an issue, have some contacts in the shipping and they will get it for me minus the customs either in singapore or here so will have to pay only the base cost!

was thinking maybe I can go in for a good AVR now and decent front speakers and with time buy the other speakers one by one.

Rana

thanks venkat,
that has been really helpful, enlightening to say the least!!
I would have been happier if your budget had been around 100K. That way you can set up a decent HT.

You can get all you want from just 2 buildings -Sim Lim Square and The Adelphi.

The AVR to look for are Yamaha 663 and the new Denon 1910. You can get a 5.1 speaker set such as the Q-Acoustics 1010i or the Energy Take 5.

There are multiple methodologies available to play a stereo sound on all channels. These are called DTS Neo:6, Dolby's Pro Logic II and IIx. Any AVR that supports these decoders can play a 2.1 or 2.0 sound on all channels.

Most AVRs will have ouput power rated at 6 ohms while most speakers will be rated at either 6 or 8 ohms. Just ensure that your AVR has ample power over the max rating of the speaker. For example, if you speaker has a rating of 30 to 100, your AVR should have a output power rating of 120 to 150 watts at the same impedance.

Cheers

And ya Venkat was wondering whats the diff between front and surround spkrs?

Sigh! Anyhow let me try to explain.

A 5.1 system consists of 5 channels of sound and a point 1 channel that carries the low frequency sound.

The 5 channels consist of a two front channels, a centre channel, and two surround sound channels. The front channels are placed to the left and right of the TV or screen. The centre channel is kept just below the screen. All dialogues are sent to the centre channel and nearly 80% of the all sound in a movie are sent to the Front L&R.

The surround channels are placed to the left and right of the viewer and carry the surround sound.

Front L&R also carry music when played as a 2.0 or a 2.1. Generally the front speakers are floor standers or large bookshelves that can handle a wide frequency range.

Since surround channels carry about 20% of the sound, usually small bookshelves are sufficient.

Cheers

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back