Home Theatre

george

I was looking at going in for a home theatre system. My budget is around Rs 50,000. Can stretch it to a max of another rs 10,000.
I had a look at the Jamo showroom and liked the E855. The guy told me to combine it with Marantz SR3001. The package is coming to around Rs 59,000. I wanted to know whether is this the best combination. Or should i go in for another speaker and amplifier altogether. I had checked JBL, Sony, Phillips and Yamaha but found the Jamo speakers much better, though budget is a stretch. I was thinking of adding on a sub-woofer to the same afterwards.
What about Indian brands like Telome? Are they worth it. Could anyone help with the price and the different components.
Am based in Mumbai. So it would be helpful if i could checkout anything else here itself.

The combination you mention is a good one.

Alternatively, you could also check if the same amp is available with a Mordaunt Short speaker package. I am not saying they are better, but just putting one more on your list.

Another alternate is a Harman Kardon + JBL combo. IMO, they offer a very powerful cinema experience too.

I think the major problem which i found out for the amp is that the output is only 60 rms. It also does not have an hdmi output, thx and also no ethernets, so cant upgarde it in future.
I had checked hraman kardon package. Its however at Rs 70,000. Though very good, its way above my budget.

At this price point you cant find THX and HDMI. Even if you can, rest assured that would only be for the name sake.

Not sure why you say "can't upgrade", its better to buy an ad hoc system now sell it and go for a much better at a later time.

There is a HK+JBL package for 55K also. You should check that out.

THX cannot be stuck on for namesake on any electronic part, here is what goes into THX.

True. But which HT has THX certification and features HDMI and one that sounds good, sells for 50k?

The fact is, companies need to pay for getting the THX certification. If a system carries a THX logo, it will cost somewhat more than it would have had it not carried the LOGO.

And there are thousands of products that don't carry a THX certification and sound absolutely fabulous. Question is, does the THX certification guarantee a good sound? No! I have seen many so called THX certified products that sound trash. The crux of my post was that George should focus on the sound rather than THX and HDMI, because something costing 50k can not offer THX certification, HDMI and a good sound.

Thanks -all you you guys. I had checked the HK- JBL one. But didnt like it too much. The JBL one sounds better. Are there are any other brands which are worth looking at, where you can get a good sound effect. Also would i get just an HDMI certified within my price bracket of Rs 50-60,000.

Also would i get just an HDMI certified within my price bracket of Rs 50-60,000.

Good if you can get them. But I'd say don't look for all that at this price point. There is always scope for better things in life. Some time later you can sell this and buy something better with THX and HDMI.

I know people will kill me for this.. but try onkyo the April 2007 version was SR505,605,705,805, 875,905. 875 and 905 are THX certified and contains all the bells and whistles for a cinema experience. ( the 875 consts around 70K INR)
You could also visit their latest offerings 506 and 606, which sell around 250-350USD and contains HDMI 1.2a.
PS: Not all HDMI devices are the same..some are just pass through ( and kills the very concept of one wire for all). The latest version with deep color is 1.3a.
Give onkyo a call. They are powerful in the home theatre segment and seem to have something for everyone.
My two cents.

The fact is, companies need to pay for getting the THX certification. If a system carries a THX logo, it will cost somewhat more than it would have had it not carried the LOGO.

And there are thousands of products that don't carry a THX certification and sound absolutely fabulous. Question is, does the THX certification guarantee a good sound? No! I have seen many so called THX certified products that sound trash. The crux of my post was that George should focus on the sound rather than THX and HDMI, because something costing 50k can not offer THX certification, HDMI and a good sound.

Fully agree!

THX logo is paid for, so no point in spending hard cash, other than the psychological satisfaction of owning a "certified" product.

Crudely putting, for me, it is something like ISO-9000, which is passed around as a symbol of ensuring quality of the the product, whereas in reality the system only ensures that certain defined processes are mapped and conform to the standards requirements.

There are Indian dealers for many many brands now a days only problem is that we have to Google-a-lot to trace them.

For speakers you can try Paradigm, a small Canadian company - importer is the same one who brings in Yamaha - Japonica International, Calcutta.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back