HotStar comes to LG WebOS

Thats a great news. Do you see a hotstar logo on screen while playing videos from the app? I am worried if that is going to cause image retention or burn-in issues on Oled TVs

Thats a great news. Do you see a hotstar logo on screen while playing videos from the app? I am worried if that is going to cause image retention or burn-in issues on Oled TVs
It does in light grey. As long as you don't binge watch for months you're OK
Cheers,
Raghu

Hey I have a LG 43UH650T model and I don't see the app listed. It is from 2017. Is it only coming for latest TVs ?

has the LG B6(2016) oleds got the app too? any B6 owners can confirm? as room under renovation & the tv is packed up.

Hey I have a LG 43UH650T model and I don't see the app listed. It is from 2017. Is it only coming for latest TVs ?
has the LG B6(2016) oleds got the app too? any B6 owners can confirm? as room under renovation & the tv is packed up.

No idea which models support this app. I have a LG 55C8 OLED (2018 model).
Maybe it will trickle down to all compatible models in the days to come.

Used it today.
- Quite responsive; no sluggishness
- Only negative I see for now is, Forward/Rewind sucks (only 10 seconds at a time)

Cheers,
Raghu

it doesnt seem to be high-res, very pixelated like it's low bitrate. is it any different with premium account?

it doesnt seem to be high-res, very pixelated like it's low bitrate. is it any different with premium account?
TV shows and movies are fine.
Live sports can be better.
We have been watching IPL/EPL on hotstar for a while; no real complaints.

Checked on a 2018 LG UHD TV too. It works fine.

Cheers,
Raghu

So I guess, 2017 and before are left in the dark. Smart TVs are bad bet then. We should simply get the media streamers which get regular updates. Something reliable like Apple TV or Fire Stick etc

So I guess, 2017 and before are left in the dark. Smart TVs are bad bet then. We should simply get the media streamers which get regular updates. Something reliable like Apple TV or Fire Stick etc
LG is known for this behaviour. They never support older models. They even removed Youtube support from my 2014 top of the line 3D TV.

LG is known for this behaviour. They never support older models. They even removed Youtube support from my 2014 top of the line 3D TV.
well its not an LG issue but lazy Hotstar developers. My 2016 B6 has all the video streaming's apps available in India, including Zee5 etc.

I watch amazon prime & netflix on 4k hdr. So this has nothing to do with LG but lazy hotstar developers for not coding their app for previous webos version.

Yes it could also be Hotstar. They had mono audio for long and then moved to Stereo. God knows when they (or if they ) will even bring 5.1 sound.

"Smartness" of a device, TV in this case, is dependent on the existing support/eco-system at the time of release.
TVs models will remain at a reasonable level of "smartness" for a few years only.
In case of LG, I think there was an overhaul of their WebOS to AI ThinQ in 2017 or thereabouts.
So expect models prior to this to be lagging behind on updates.
Media streamers also have a limited shelf life; but then they are cheaper to upgrade.

This is all on HotStar. LG does not develop third party apps.

Cheers,
Raghu

I am having really bad experience with the app. its super buggy, i reinstalled it but same result.
here is what happens

1. GOT has never worked it plays normally for first 2 3 seconds and then it starts hanging frame by frame with the sound moving ahead of the frame, its like watching a gif image. I am using a 30mbps line which has no issues playing 4k UHD titles on amazon prime, netflix or you tube.

2. Most movies also play the way GOT episodes play.

3. Tried watching a web series City of Dreams and the audio language was bengali and it kept giving bengali as output no matter what langauage i chose.

4. Changing the audio language reset the play timer to zero and it would start playing from the beginning every time the language was changed.

5. Max resolution is 720p and not 1080 its quiet pixelated.

6. Sound output is stereo or mono no surround sound support what so ever.

is this faced by others as well or is it just me?

I am having really bad experience with the app. its super buggy, i reinstalled it but same result.
here is what happens

1. GOT has never worked it plays normally for first 2 3 seconds and then it starts hanging frame by frame with the sound moving ahead of the frame, its like watching a gif image. I am using a 30mbps line which has no issues playing 4k UHD titles on amazon prime, netflix or you tube.

2. Most movies also play the way GOT episodes play.

3. Tried watching a web series City of Dreams and the audio language was bengali and it kept giving bengali as output no matter what langauage i chose.

4. Changing the audio language reset the play timer to zero and it would start playing from the beginning every time the language was changed.

5. Max resolution is 720p and not 1080 its quiet pixelated.

6. Sound output is stereo or mono no surround sound support what so ever.

is this faced by others as well or is it just me?
I am able to play GOT without any issues on my C8. Which model are you using? What is the webos version you are on?

No real issues, except for one.
The HotStar app on LG WebOS has lousy support for Fast Forward and Rewind.
Using it on OLED 55C8
Cheers,
Raghu

Good one... LG did good job.

How ever ..though Samsung Tvs are not supporting Hotstar app directly . I am able to play hotstar videos through browser which plays video clean and nicely..

I am able to play GOT without any issues on my C8. Which model are you using? What is the webos version you are on?
My model number is 55UJ632T and it is on the latest version.
everything works just fine except hotstar.
Issue is not just GOT other movies and series too.

I had written to Hotstar support team and this is the reply i got

"We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused. We don't wish our users to face such issues on our platform while accessing their favorite content on our platform.
We have recently rolled out an app update for LG Web OS and this issue is resolved in this update. Request you to update the app to its latest version and retry. It should work fine.
Also, we have already highlighted the issue regarding audio language on LG TV to our concerned team and they are working on resolving it.
We would appreciate your patience, in the meantime."

hope it gets solved now.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back