How about using Mattress material for treatment

Both the sound equipment and the husband can RIP.:):) and listen to the Sound of Silence.

Cheers

Is an audiophile husband sufficient ground for divorce (just like insanity)? :)
Going by today's feminist agenda it is quiet possible some court somewhere has passed a ruling!! :eek:hyeah:

(Reason: No money left for buying shoes slippers purses makeup shopping etc .. :D)

Cheers

Going by today's feminist agenda it is quiet possible some court somewhere has passed a ruling!! :eek:hyeah:

(Reason: No money left for buying shoes slippers purses makeup shopping etc .. :D)

Cheers

hi gobble - your post reminds me (feminist agenda)

the best way to remain married is (to have)

1. separate jobs

2.separate bank accounts

3.separate bathrooms

4. separate bedrooms

5. separate houses

6. separate cities?

hi gobble - your post reminds me (feminist agenda)

the best way to remain married is (to have)

1. separate jobs

2.separate bank accounts

3.separate bathrooms

4. separate bedrooms

5. separate houses

6. separate cities?

i think you forgot ...

Separate husbands!! :)

Cheers

Well, my wife and I have separate climates!

She likes the cool, I like the heat. She likes to sit under a fan, I hate it. She has AC and fan at her end of the room, I am comfortable at mine :D

More seriously/practically...

We also have very separate religions (or rather, religion and lack of religion!). She stays two days a week in her old place, doing her religion stuff. We have two days off from each other. This works very well indeed --- seriously, having personal space and time off from each other is very important.

Of course, everyone is different, every marriage is different: what works for us might be unworkable for others.

One problem is that I like to listen to music at night. Our house is small, and it is just not possible to do so without disturbing her. More wealth and a bigger house would be the solution, but I fear that will not happen.

there seems to be a consensus about the use of cotton/coir mattresses for "treatment" of the listening room -

the consensus being - "yes, it is a good thing to do"

(notwithstanding venkatcr's caveats about those items collecting dirt and smelling after a period of time - and if one has live-in dogs then one can be sure that they will mark those mattresses as their own (with raised leg).

perhaps a committed audiophile will do it like this-

one silk cotton mattress between two coir mattresses - stitched together by a cobbler (this to completely confuse the sound waves and make them panic) -

the wall on which this triple layer sandwich is to be mounted is pitted with about 30 pits/square inch - fevicol sr is applied on the entire wall and dynamat (The Official Dynamat Website) is applied -

with large jumper bolts the triple layer sandwich is suspended lateral to the dynamat-

this "treatment" is done for the three walls proximal to the listener (back and two side walls).

for an 18' x 12' foot room - one might need 18 mattresses in toto (12 kurlon coir and 6 silk cotton)

kurlon mattresses cost INR 4800/piece and silk cotton(superior - beaten) about INR 800/piece.

cost of fevicol sr = 480 INR (approx.)

cost of dynamat = ? (rallynut - please supply this information urgently) - let us assume, for the moment, that dynamat = INR 15,000.

so, approx. INR 106,680/- will make the room an audiophile's dream.

if the audiophile is married - he can add to this the costs of a messy divorce.

Happy Diwali everyone.
Thanks Suri for the cost breakdown, This looks not so inexpensive as I had thought. Any idea how the breakdown would look like, if one is to go for a acoustics panels like for example anutone >
Thanks

I know the performance of coir is not as good, and personally have planned DIY glasswool panels in the next few months, but the following results surprised me to how good a temperory solution coir can be.Powered by Google Docs

Last edited:
One material worth considering is LRB (light resin bonded) mineral wool mattresses. These have very high density (140 kg/m3 is possible) & excellent Noise Absorption. They are easily available, and relatively cheap. They look shitty, though, so one would have to find a way to dress them up - maybe with a wall durrie or something?

One material worth considering is LRB (light resin bonded) mineral wool mattresses. These have very high density (140 kg/m3 is possible) & excellent Noise Absorption. They are easily available, and relatively cheap. They look shitty, though, so one would have to find a way to dress them up - maybe with a wall durrie or something?
What's it called in local markets and where do we get them in Pune? I guess LRB would be too technical for shops in Guruwar peth.

I once tried placing cotton mattresses all over my living room just to see how good it sounds. The improvement in sound quality was marginal. It wasn't enough to justify fighting with my family.

Cheers

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back