How Add Headphone socket to TV

cha_indian

My old Samsung TV does not have a headphone socket to plugin a headphone. I really miss this simple feature and i wonder why makers don't add a simple 3.5mm socket ...

Anyway, can anyone explain how to do the wiring part in side the TV. The TV has two speakers and maybe it is stereo...so how to do the wiring so that when the headphone jack is inserted, sound gets diverted to headphones ?

Stereo PCB socket is easily available which has cut out option.ie.if you insert HP pin,spk are automatically cut off.
Ideally this socket should be introduced before spk amplifier.
Experts pls.confirm.

You will have to buy a stereo headphone/3.5mm socket like these

35mmminiatureenclosedja.jpg

jc115.gif

The mechanism is pretty simple. If you look at it closely and insert a headphone jack int & out you will come to know how it cuts off the speaker audio once the headphone jack is inserted and hence which pin to connect to which wire.

Connect like this.
TV PCB --> Stereo headphone socket --> TV speakers

PS: You will need an attenuator to reduce the power sent to the headphone socket.

You will have to buy a stereo headphone/3.5mm socket like these

35mmminiatureenclosedja.jpg

Connect like this.
TV PCB --> Stereo headphone socket --> TV speakers

PS: You will need an attenuator to reduce the power sent to the headphone socket.

Thts the problem,how to add attenuator/controller at socket point?
OR Hp> attenuator/controller >stereo socket (bypass spk)

The 1st image is mono socket for single ch.

I guess the TV in question is a CRT. In which case, you may need to checkout whether it is safe to get the sinal out of TV this way. TVs generally have lethal voltages inside. If signals were not designed to be out then maybe the have not been isolated from mains.
I am not sure but you may want to rule this doubt by actually checking.

Thts the problem,how to add attenuator/controller at socket point?
OR Hp> attenuator/controller >stereo socket (bypass spk)

An attenuator is simply a voltage divider dude.
The best I could draw quickly :)

clipboard02d.png

Repeat this for the other channel

The 1st image is mono socket for single ch.
No that's a stereo socket. The other pin is hidden behind :)

From your diagram, assuming the center of the voltage divider goes to one pole of the switch inside the headphone socket, If you use such a voltage divider before the loudspeaker, it will attenuate the main speakers and not the headphones.

If you have considered the the voltage divider for the headphone, wiring an attenuator like this at the 3.5mm female socket point might not be possible since the inside switch is a single pole single throw type. ie: The attenuation is possible only after the switch(socket).

You might need to use a socket combined with an external DPDT switch as indicated in this article.

Headphone Adaptor for Power Amplifiers

Regds...

Yes there are ... I think i will need a RCA to stereo wire , so probably don't need to open the box .

Headphone pin is called 3.5 mm pin

You need 2 RCA male to 1 3.5 mm female wire...

eBay India: 1 Stereo Audio - Female to 2 RCA - Male Audio Cable (item 380283141224 end time 03-Nov-2010 22:59:11 IST)

149 rs seems high ..check ur local market

Many times the audio out is sufficient to drive headphones or else add cheap headphone amp like fiio

Let us know the results

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back