How do you find new music

Is there a thread for country songs already? I couldn't find any. If not there, I want to start one. Please share what should be the thread title so it's easy to find.
Don't really know about the related thread. But here are few I really love:

You can listen to these:-

1. Rachel procter
2. Emma mae jacob
3. Bailey grey
4. Jernny Farrell
5- Dolly Patron
6- Patty Loveless
7- Holly Suzette Dunn
8- Tanya Denise Tucker
9- Lorrie Morgan

:)

Don't really know about the related thread. But here are few I really love:

You can listen to these:-

1. Rachel procter
2. Emma mae jacob
3. Bailey grey
4. Jernny Farrell
5- Dolly Patron
6- Patty Loveless
7- Holly Suzette Dunn
8- Tanya Denise Tucker
9- Lorrie Morgan

:)
Thanks for sharing.

Interesting thread. When I first started listening to music in my late teens thru my 20s, my sources of music discovery were the following:

1) My father who had an extensive collection of LPs in Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock and Hindustani classical.

2) Pecos in Bangalore which played music unlike anything I have heard before. I owe a lot of my discovery of prog rock, Canterbury, Latin Jazz, Punk Metal to my endless hours at Pecos after college and weekends. I am sure folks in Bangalore shall probably know the extensive collection of tapes at Pecos stacked behind the bar!

3) When I started buying music, it was Music World and a friendly staff there that let me 'borrow' CDs and try it out.

4) Finally, my college bandmates who listened to everything from Grateful Dead to Ali Toure Farka to Bhimsen Joshi to Chopin!

Now, I use Allmusic and Spotify recommendations almost exclusively besides a group of friends/music lovers who keep exchanging recommendations. Tidal playlists are quite good but their recommendation engine sucks!

Is there a thread for country songs already? I couldn't find any. If not there, I want to start one and be consistent on the naming for every such new thread.

Please share what should be the thread title so it's easy to find.
I don’t think there’s a thread. You could create one and name it to your fancy.

@Vivek Batra
Interesting thread. People spinning vinyls, CDs or playing cassettes want to know about new songs and buy albums of those newly discovered treasures. Now the question is how they get to know this? In past it was from radio broadcasting ( FM broadcast programmes later) , social gathering , during the pujas, specially Durga puja in Bengal when we listened to many new songs which were being played at various community puja pandals. I can remember some R.D Burman Bangla songs which I listened to in my childhood during Durga puja. During wedding ceremony, upanayanam, Birthday party, songs are being played so those may be regarded as good sources for knowing about new songs, or artists. Nowadays we have streaming services and those recommend new songs, YouTube is a good source . But I think from WhatsApp group where like minded people remain we can have the best suggestion. I have learnt so many new things apart from recommendations for new songs from our what's app group. Another thing of the past that I have forgotten to mention is in past some record sellers used to show new records and even play those in their TT and people came to know about the new arrivals. I can remember visiting such stores in my vicinity with my father prior to Durga puja and kalipuja . Good old days.
Regards

So many of us are FM listeners, good to know :) For me, nothing beats my morning FM sessions. I have added 100s of country, blues, pop from 60s, 70s FM only.

Hi FMs

So here is the first thread on "Country Music"

After quite a while, I logged on to Itunes. And I found to my surprise a station called 'SSF's station'. I was curious. I played the station. To my utter surprise, it has picked up most of the artists that I have listened to and liked. Not a single music / song that I would not listen to. Mind you, I hardly tune into Itunes no pun intended.

We had a radio (remember Times FM!). We would note the nice ones that caught our attention and I remember I would go to my neighborhood music shop to 'dub' a cassette
I used to listen Vividh Bharati before FM.Then note down songs, movie names and dub on black tape in cassette shop.Sometimes hard to note song details and then wait for same song to be played again :).

For Bollywood I look up hindigeetmala.com. Listen to stuff and decide what I want to buy

Most of the new music I have discovered of late has come via:

1) Recommendations from friends and family
2) At a party or similar gathering if hear a song that I like and I immediately Shazam it for identification and add to my liked songs on Spotify. Same procedure for any song in a movie or TV series.
3) If I like a particular song by a band or artist I will try and give some time to listen to 5-10 songs from their Spotify page or soundcloud.
4) Based on these , Spotify recommendations under " Song Radio" or "Artist Radio" are excellent.
5) The Indian Audiophile forum on Facebook often has discussions on new artists. Add these to Spotify
6) I used to attend NH7 weekender often in Pune. When the band list is released, spend time before the event to discover new bands. Of late have stopped attending but I still keep a track of new artists that are going to be playing at these events.
7) Lastly and this is mainly applicable for Instagram users. Many brands I follow often post curated playlists. These are good to add to the library on Spotify.

I have a subscription to Amazon Music and Tidal but planning to give those up soon as their algorithm is pretty bad.

I used to listen Vividh Bharati before FM.Then note down songs, movie names and dub on black tape in cassette shop. Sometimes hard to note song details and then wait for same song to be played again :).
Those were the days! I don't know how to explain tape dubbing to somebody who has never listened to one. Somebody having a 'double deck' music system at his/her home used to be a pretty sought after posession.

Those were the days! I don't know how to explain tape dubbing to somebody who has never listened to one. Somebody having a 'double deck' music system at his/her home used to be a pretty sought after posession.
I have recoeded many songs from radio to tape this way using my philips power house (still lying around). :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back