How does apple tv have the best PQ and SQ?

BLASTO

General consensus here and in other pro forums is that the apple tv apps are best in displaying streaming content.

I am confused as to how it is possible since the streaming bitrate is source restricted (restricted in netflix/prime servers for example). Is it possible to display same bitrate content differently by processing in the receiving side alone?

Or does apple tv get preferential treatment from the servers through some business deals etc?

Either ways, it feels natural to expect the native tv apps (eg: LG OLED apps) to perform better than generic apps because they are custom built for the platform and the display capabilities of the tv. How does apple tv break this seemingly natural expectation on every single device?

Or is it a placebo introduced by seamless integration in other areas (fluid UI, superior OS graphics, navigation etc) that we come to the conclusion that the AV quality is also better?

Iam not talking about upscale capabilities which the apple tv seem to posses lots of. Iam talking about solely playing back 4k native streaming content. What is superior in the apple tv apps that furthers better playback compared to other streamers and native tv apps out there?

If anyone knows please enlighten.

General consensus here and in other pro forums is that the apple tv apps are best in displaying streaming content.

I am confused as to how it is possible since the streaming bitrate is source restricted (restricted in netflix/prime servers for example). Is it possible to display same bitrate content differently by processing in the receiving side alone?

Or does apple tv get preferential treatment from the servers through some business deals etc?

Either ways, it feels natural to expect the native tv apps (eg: LG OLED apps) to perform better than generic apps because they are custom built for the platform and the display capabilities of the tv. How does apple tv break this seemingly natural expectation on every single device?

Or is it a placebo introduced by seamless integration in other areas (fluid UI, superior OS graphics, navigation etc) that we come to the conclusion that the AV quality is also better?

Iam not talking about upscale capabilities which the apple tv seem to posses lots of. Iam talking about solely playing back 4k native streaming content. What is superior in the apple tv apps that furthers better playback compared to other streamers and native tv apps out there?

Apple TV may be better comparing with Fire TV, Roku, inbuilt TV Apps and many other unknown brand streamers.
It hasn't been compared throughly with Xbox. Have seen many threads confirming Xbox beats Apple TV in SQ at the least.
I can testify this.

It hasn't got the best pq.. Please start visiting non biased forums or threads

Not quite sure where you are getting (or reading) this from.
Does Apple TV have the best picture? I don't know. Does it work/interact better than most native TV run apps? Yes

Nearly all TV's sold out there come with some very basic processing hardware built in to them. Usually nothing more powerful than a Rasberry Pi solution or some low end Mediatek processor. It gets the job done. Then you have the TV operating system, mostly Android. This is open source. Everyone who uses it has to customize it to a level that makes it work for their device. All of this needs to be done with a myriad of different hardware sold out there. Some do it well, some don't, or, they will operate well initially and then gradually get a bit clunky. Its sort of similar to the experience you get from a mid tier Android phone versus a high end one. Anything running on the Android eco system requires a lot of care in its design, build and customization with the surrounding hardware.

Apple have absolute control over hardware and software as they own both. Apple isn't building hardware and selling it to others. They build it specifically for their requirements and its made to work optimally. There is no cross compatibility issues to run into with thousands of different devices and pieces of hardware. Less can go wrong. When it comes to the Apple TV, its a device built with a focus on streaming content. When you plug an Apple TV into a display, you by pass all the processing that the native TV operating system might do. Whether that comes in the way of picture quality is unknown. Apple TV does all the processing for you. The TV isn't interfering with the signal, unless you decide to use some of the proprietary hardware/software processing. When it coms to HDR, High frame rate content and color calibration, I trust Apple over anyone else. They also have support for 'fractional frame rates'. This is supposed to solve stutter issues for streaming content. They also work out of the box. You don't sit and meddle with a bunch of settings to get it right. Your chances of experiencing a clean Dolby Vision transfer is likely higher than the TV handling it over an internal App and its internal hardware operating at borderline levels.

Personally, I've not tried the above as I don't own the latest Apple TV. However, I am sure many here do and can speak to any audio visual differences they experience by comparing the same content played directly by the TV versus an Apple TV. Its likely that you will notice a difference. Will the average joe notice a difference? Probably not.

Said who?

IMHO, and am a noob so please don't mistake, but this is my quality gradient:
Original BRs with decent Player > BR files > Native TV player. No third party player has ever come close to this gradient in my experience, but of course I might be wrong.

And to be sure:
True BR Rips via Plex on any machine >>>>>>>>>>>>>> any console.

Last edited:
When you plug an Apple TV into a display, you by pass all the processing that the native TV operating system might do. Whether that comes in the way of picture quality is unknown.
Sandeep Sir,
As someone who allows the (expensive, touted) TV to do the job, I'd be loathe to do this.

Apple TV does all the processing for you.
Any good processor or in this case, a Shield, would also do this.
The TV isn't interfering with the signal, unless you decide to use some of the proprietary hardware/software processing. When it coms to HDR, High frame rate content and color calibration, I trust Apple over anyone else.
Why not the TV's SW?

They also have support for 'fractional frame rates'. This is supposed to solve stutter issues for streaming content. They also work out of the box. You don't sit and meddle with a bunch of settings to get it right. Your chances of experiencing a clean Dolby Vision transfer is likely higher than the TV handling it over an internal App and its internal hardware operating at borderline levels.
THIS, would be magic. Then, of course, yes, an Apple TV would be worth it.

This is nonetheless, a great thread.
I would really want to hear other Apple TV console users to weigh in.

Said who?

IMHO, and am a noob so please don't mistake, but this is my quality gradient:
Original BRs with decent Player > BR files > Native TV player. No third party player has ever come close to this gradient in my experience, but of course I might be wrong.

And to be sure:
True BR Rips via Plex on any machine >>>>>>>>>>>>>> any console.
OP is exclusively talking about streaming platform apps. He's enquiring whether streaming apps like Netflix, Hotstar, Prime etc. apps on Apple TV have better PQ than Netflix, Hotstar, Prime etc. apps on an Android TV.

OP is exclusively talking about streaming platform apps. He's enquiring whether streaming apps like Netflix, Hotstar, Prime etc. apps on Apple TV have better PQ than Netflix, Hotstar, Prime etc. apps on an Android TV.
Yes, Sir.
Having never tried a player, I can tell you why: It's cos all streaming platforms are ****. They all have uniformly terrible PQ and SQ.
100% from personal experience.
If we are someone who has presence in HiFivision, we need to give a wide berth to streaming platforms and move to BRs. That's the best source that will match your set up.

For everything else, there is always subscriptions - and they work best on native TV apps, as long as the TV software is good enough.

OP, BTW, What do you have now?

I Don't know the answer for How. But I did lots of Comparisons (2yrs ago) with Sony x700 BDP, LG BDP with Network Capabilities , Samsung BDP With Network Capabilities, Firetv 4k, Raspberry pi 3b running Kodi, and finally Plex on i5 7th Gen HT PC.
Apple TV 4k Did a Fantastic Job for Streaming Content, Though the Pinnacle of SQ /PQ was always via Blu-rays played via Sony X700 bd player, but ATV 4k beats everyone in streaming content. The Plex Server (or VLC/Klite Mpeg Player) with BDRips over 5 GB file sizes did better SQ/PQ than ATV 4k (it varies a lot with the quality of BD rip characters of course) ; again nothing compares to playing original bluray disc via Bluray Player.

Xbox 360 does a great job for Netflix, but I found it bit inferior to ATV 4k in many respects, Nevertheless, Newer Xbox Consoles may Beat ATV 4k but from UI & overall experience Pov ATV 4k is still a Good Choice for anyone interested in just a Streaming TV box.

Since I Moved away from Downloaded Movies & Gaming , I Restricted myself to ATV 4k for Streaming Content and Sony x700 for occasional Blu-ray disc viewing.
I'd Suggest anyone to just install ATV app on Firetv 4k and you can notice quite an improvement over other apps on firetv.

Any good processor or in this case, a Shield, would also do this.
Why not the TV's SW?
The Shield is about the only other streaming device I would consider after an Apple TV. That said, I still have my reservations about it as its running Android. In the case of the Shield, its got solid hardware to go with it. Its operating system upgrades that are not in nvidia's control. Depending on the device you use, Android upgrades can be painfully slow to release.

Using TV software is fine. As an example, for anyone who uses some high end Sony's, you do benefit from their proprietary Cognitive XR Processing. In this case, I would not want a streaming device (in this case an Apple TV) messing with the signal.

I Don't know the answer for How. But I did lots of Comparisons (2yrs ago) with Sony x700 BDP, LG BDP with Network Capabilities , Samsung BDP With Network Capabilities, Firetv 4k, Raspberry pi 3b running Kodi, and finally Plex on i5 7th Gen HT PC.
Apple TV 4k Did a Fantastic Job for Streaming Content, Though the Pinnacle of SQ /PQ was always via Blu-rays played via Sony X700 bd player, but ATV 4k beats everyone in streaming content.
In a good TV with google tv or even android tv with a native app?

The Plex Server (or VLC/Klite Mpeg Player) with BDRips over 5 GB file sizes did better SQ/PQ than ATV 4k (it varies a lot with the quality of BD rip characters of course) ; again nothing compares to playing original bluray disc via Bluray Player.
Great point. Thank you for mentioning it. Cos it shows you are not biased.

Xbox 360 does a great job for Netflix, but I found it bit inferior to ATV 4k in many respects, Nevertheless, Newer Xbox Consoles may Beat ATV 4k but from UI & overall experience Pov ATV 4k is still a Good Choice for anyone interested in just a Streaming TV box.
It's only people who need to rely on a streamer who can respond. I can't Plex-Bravia is a match made in heaven for me at least.
Since I Moved away from Downloaded Movies & Gaming , I Restricted myself to ATV 4k for Streaming Content and Sony x700 for occasional Blu-ray disc viewing.
I'd Suggest anyone to just install ATV app on Firetv 4k and you can notice quite an improvement over other apps on firetv.
But that also calls for a new device, right?

I still don't find a legit case for a new device, be it ATV or NvS...

True files play well in any environment, has been my experience.

The Shield is about the only other streaming device I would consider after an Apple TV. That said, I still have my reservations about it as its running Android. In the case of the Shield, its got solid hardware to go with it. Its operating system upgrades that are not in nvidia's control. Depending on the device you use, Android upgrades can be painfully slow to release.

Using TV software is fine. As an example, for anyone who uses some high end Sony's, you do benefit from their proprietary Cognitive XR Processing. In this case, I would not want a streaming device (in this case an Apple TV) messing with the signal.
My limited point, sir.
Thank you. But I would still want to juice up my TV as display for many more years, without having you resort to an external player.
Just hoping it will still be possible.

For all we know, I might be back here looking for solutions.
Just a noobs point that you don't need a streaming device...

Said who?

The owner's thread is full of such reviews.

Similar cases with other forums whose links iam not sure I can post.

And one of my friends here got an apple tv recently and is of the opinion that PQ and SQ is 2 notches above what the LG OLED produces with native apps and ARC for the SAME streaming content, only different apps.

The owner's thread is full of such reviews.

Similar cases with other forums whose links iam not sure I can post.

And one of my friends here got an apple tv recently and is of the opinion that PQ and SQ is 2 notches above what the LG OLED produces with native apps and ARC for the SAME streaming content, only different apps.
Thanks, bro. Will go through that thread.
What's your display?

I have sony 65 A8 OLED and LG 55 CX OLED.

The remote and navigation of the sony is poor to put it lightly with gazillion buttons that you hardly use. PQ has been very good compared to LG but we are comparing apples and oranges here. LG remote and navigation has been not an issue.

I have none of the streaming devices. But if any would provide better navigation coupled with better PQ and voice integration, I would not hesitate to jump.

It has been a general problem to move the movie timeline slider to exactly where you want in both the tvs. This issue looks like been efficiently solved in the apple tv using the jog wheel. Another issue is general usability of voice commands especially in sony.

I was initially worried if the PQ will not be as good as native apps because of deep integration but from reading the forums, looks like nvidea shield and apple tv betters inbuilt apps and apple tv more so.

Hence confused how it is possible and hence the question. This is all the history.

Thanks, bro. Will go through that thread.
What's your display?
From that thread, there are at least eight people I respect:
@insane79 @ankitbhargava @Love4sound @liverpool_for_life @fLUX @msankadi @frankmehta @chander
And a few others whose opinions I really value.
But how any of them rates ATV over Shield is not really clear on that thread.
Maybe, they are right.
Maybe, we need a device to stream stuff (A couple of them are projector people also)
But, I still insist, if you have a top-shelf LG or Sony, everything works like a dream.
And for local files, Plex or Kodi do really get the job done without a device.
I may be grossly wrong, but it comes from my limited experience.
Either way, putting this thread on watch. Would want to listen to more opinions.
Wishing you the best.
Regards

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back