How good are sound bars!

zoozoo

Hi
Of late I have been thinking of sound bars very actively. Till sometime back, if you search my old posts, I was looking out for separates like an AVR, center channel speaker, sub, front height speakers & rear surround speakers. Front speakers, towers, I already have. Roughly my room dimensions are 11 feet x 13 feet. Now I do not wish to clutter my room with so many speakers all around and looking for minimalist setup. The best setup which comes to my mind is a good quality sound bar. Recently I googled a sound bar by Yamaha, model, YSP-5600 MusicCast Sound Bar with Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X.
What impressed me are the words Atmos & DTS:X. You can check the specs here.Yamaha 5600

I wish to know Will this sound bar be able to give me the Atmos experience, as the Yamaha people claim ? Will this be a right for the room size as mentioned above ? I have a Samsung 55" LED on the wall. Any other sound bar equal to or better than the above one. How about the Bose one ?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Well Not sure about how a Sound Bar would achieve true Atmos by simply having speaker drivers angled towards the ceiling. I guess what most speakers / Soundbars that have this sort of speaker arrangement is actually working on the principle of the sound being reflected off the ceiling towards the listener. I am not saying it would not work. It would create a sense of height channels
But the fact does remain that it would by no way provide the same sense of realism and scale as a ceiling mounted speaker

Not heard the Yamaha 5600. However I do have the Bose Soundtouch 300 + Virtually invisible wireless rears + Acoustimass Subwoofer. Although i did not have any intention to buy a soundbar. My wife wanted something simple which she could use with the Bedroom TV as well as occasional Bluetooth streaming ( Room Size 11 x 17 )

The Bose Soundbar is pretty decent only and only If the Subwoofer is added into the equation. without it it is decent, but for movies you do miss the impact the Sub provides.
My wife listens to primarily EDM and House music , so the Sub does come in handy for these genres as well. It does sound pretty good with these genres

Hi
Of late I have been thinking of sound bars very actively. Till sometime back, if you search my old posts, I was looking out for separates like an AVR, center channel speaker, sub, front height speakers & rear surround speakers. Front speakers, towers, I already have. Roughly my room dimensions are 11 feet x 13 feet. Now I do not wish to clutter my room with so many speakers all around and looking for minimalist setup. The best setup which comes to my mind is a good quality sound bar. Recently I googled a sound bar by Yamaha, model, YSP-5600 MusicCast Sound Bar with Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X.
What impressed me are the words Atmos & DTS:X. You can check the specs here.Yamaha 5600

I wish to know Will this sound bar be able to give me the Atmos experience, as the Yamaha people claim ? Will this be a right for the room size as mentioned above ? I have a Samsung 55" LED on the wall. Any other sound bar equal to or better than the above one. How about the Bose one ?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hi

The role of a soundbar is to enhance the low output of TVs you get nowadays....it is in no manner that they provide a surround experience....

There is a virtual surround circuit available which is present in most of these soundbars which creates the pseudo effect / Omni effect.

In the past Pioneer DVD players, etc used this to enhance the spatialism of movies and music...so did our good oold sony, akai, Panasonic sets who had the same..

If you really want to trip on a sound bar.....look at Philips, Samsung etc...they too have some real good models which don't jar at high volumes....that's key.....all depends on your budget....

Soundbars work on reflection of sound off walls and possibly ceilings. They work best in small rooms with symmetrical walls.
I would think they will work pretty well in your room.
Yamaha has a good name in soundbars.
Best, of course, would be to get a demo. See if you can get a home demo.
Do get a subwoofer along with any soundbar you buy.

Thanks all for the replies. I'm not looking for a thunderous sound experience. That's the reason why I'm getting inclined towards a sound bar along with a sub. As rightly pointed out by Flash & Naturelover a sub will definitely enhance the sound experience. I'm more inclined towards the Yamaha one due to it's ATMOS capabilities, as mentioned by them.
@efernand1 I'm ok with a Pseudo sound effect if it is close to the kind of experience with ceiling speakers. Can anyone suggest how & from whom can I have a demo of this Yamaha or Bose sound bar at my home ? Please can someone share more experiences on soundbars.

Yamaha sound bars would cost a bomb in India..

I understand, you don't want wires around you.. Surrounds / surr back are the ones that have speaker cables running across room..you can skip them..

But have you considered front only 5.1 set-up .. Left, center, right, front height left & right and a suwoofer.. You can also hide them using external casing.. This will remain only on your front wall as your TV, but still get you a good movie experience than sound bar..

Yamaha sound bars would cost a bomb in India..

I understand, you don't want wires around you.. Surrounds / surr back are the ones that have speaker cables running across room..you can skip them..

But have you considered front only 5.1 set-up .. Left, center, right, front height left & right and a suwoofer.. You can also hide them using external casing.. This will remain only on your front wall as your TV, but still get you a good movie experience than sound bar..

Will such a setup provide a ATMOS effect ? That's true, the Yamaha soundbars will cost a bomb but still I wish to know if the ATMOS effect will be present or not albeit on a lesser scale ?

Good evening
If you really want only sound bar
1) Q acoustics media 4- product of year 2015( below 50,000 rupees)
2) DALI kubik one - Award winner ( 1,05,000 rupees- the best Sound bar
All the best.
But nothing beats traditional Avr, front stage and surround speaker set up. Think about.
All the best

Will such a setup provide a ATMOS effect ? That's true, the Yamaha soundbars will cost a bomb but still I wish to know if the ATMOS effect will be present or not albeit on a lesser scale ?

Yes.. There are some ideal speaker locations for Atmos.. Front heights is also one of the location..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back