How important is a CD Transport

Dev.R

Hi, I am using a Vintage Proceed CDT3 transport connected to the Denafrips Terminator.
Will there be a substantial improvement if I change the transport ( for eg Jayz CDT mk2) . I know the background is going to be lot more quieter in the latest machines. But what about Musicality and more importantly the life of the transport itself.
Thanks and Cheers.

Vintage cd transports tend to hold up well. Yours uses an early generation Philips drive, the Jays a newer generation. If the mechanical construction and power supply are comparable, you may not see much of an upgrade. Maybe evaluate if it's possible to upgrade the proceed.

Probably the only way to find out, is to borrow a newer CD player from one of your friends and give it a spin.

The Older CDTs are usually very well designed with isolation and robust power supplies. if you do choose to upgrade then it has to be the Esoteric transport which is simply the best transport in the world.

Proceed, being from the Mark Levinson house is really solid and at par am sure with the Thetas of the world. OF course there is a risk of CDTs just dying one day and not getting any replacement parts and untill you get there , It jsut might be a good idea to hold on to it.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back