How Indian Android Device Manufacturers are Fooling and Misleading You

I admire Micromax and others because these companies have reduced their own margin levels to provide latest technology to budget conscious people--which i think is great!!

Your thoughts are welcome...:)

Exactly why i like Micromax.... To beat all other manufacturers and being the 2nd largest in India is defenetly an achievement...

It wouldn't take too long for Micromax to pip Samsung as the largest manufacuturer of mobiles in India.. But they need to some hard & smart work..

Kudos to Micromax for brilliant pricing...

So I'm not criticizing Indian brands, I admire them, but the point is to give quality products to indians. If they are not giving that, where is the difference? The success of Videocon is that they always delivered quality, I also use a Videocon refrigerator. So, I'm not against the indian companies.

Very well said.. Same here buddy..... Indian companies need to start thinking about the after sales service of the product equally when they launch new products almost every month.... Letz hope they do it..

Samasung is one of the few companies which always ensures quality. Let me tell you a story. Such striving for efficiency and excellence wasnt always a priority. In 1995, Chairman Lee was dismayed to learn that cell phones he gave as New Years gifts were found to be inoperable. He directed underlings to assemble a pile of 150,000 devices in a field outside the Gumi factory. More than 2,000 staff members gathered around the pile. Then it was set on fire. When the flames died down, bulldozers razed whatever was remaining. If you continue to make poor-quality products like these, Lee Keon Hyok recalls the chairman saying, Ill come back and do the same thing.

The entire functioning of the phone can be controlled remotely by the manufacturer as and when you switch on the mobile data or connect to a wifi network or even through the GSM connection.

I can see the components of my Samsung Galaxy Grand, purchased in 2012, failing systematically. The phone battery is the first to be affected. It doesnt hold charge even till evening and that too if mobile data/wifi is not activated. The vibration mode stopped working sometime ago. Latest malaise that I noticed is, the camera doesnt adjust the focus before clicking resulting in blurred pictures.

Im not saying that the company is involved in incorporating systemic failure of the phone but theoretically speaking, it is well within the realms of technology.

Last edited:
Samasung is one of the few companies which always ensures quality. Let me tell you a story. Such striving for efficiency and excellence wasnt always a priority. In 1995, Chairman Lee was dismayed to learn that cell phones he gave as New Years gifts were found to be inoperable. He directed underlings to assemble a pile of 150,000 devices in a field outside the Gumi factory. More than 2,000 staff members gathered around the pile. Then it was set on fire. When the flames died down, bulldozers razed whatever was remaining. If you continue to make poor-quality products like these, Lee Keon Hyok recalls the chairman saying, Ill come back and do the same thing.

such stories are good for inspiration and brand promotions:clapping::clapping::clapping:

but the story has lot of loop holes.
1) cell phone contains lot of silicon parts which should not be burned (not safe) (nor legal) in any developed country.
2) the batteries present in the phones when burnt can be explosive.

so i doubt the story

The entire functioning of the phone can be controlled remotely by the manufacturer ... ... ... Im not saying that the company is involved in incorporating systemic failure of the phone but theoretically speaking, it is well within the realms of technology.

Suddenly this no longer seems far fetched in any way at all. If it ever did.

Apple, anybody? Have an error 53, :rolleyes:

You are being nice and curteous sir. They must be doing it.
Not being diplomatic. Read forum rule No. 4.
Suddenly this no longer seems far fetched in any way at all. If it ever did.

Apple, anybody? Have an error 53, :rolleyes:

I'm glad you chipped in Thad.

BTW what is error 53!! I don't have any experience with Apple phone.

Chinese are known to "bug" their communication "chips".

Big companies are purposely building measures in their devices to render them useless (of course in the name of safety).

A lot of big corporations are moving towards "planned obsolescence". This is extremely dangerous from point of view of (both) consumer and humanity at large.

The way Micromax/other Indian companies have been singled out in the original post is sad. Chinese mobile phone industry 10 years ago was same as Indian mobile industry today. The Chinese people rose up, showed solidarity with home grown brands, accepted them whole heartedly and today Chinese are shaking the foundation of Apples and Samsungs of the world. Nokias and Motorolas have long been pushed to history pages. But Indians would find it hard to let go of "made in India is made in India, can't match made outside India" mindset. We put 1.25 billion consumers in a platter and hand it over to another country, and them gather online to mourn about the "falling rupee".

Last edited:
BTW what is error 53!! I don't have any experience with Apple phone.
Neither do I :cool:, and it was by chance that I clicked on a recent news item about a lot of angry iPhone owners

Chinese are known to "bug" their communication "chips".
The Americans and the Brits bug everyone! :lol:
A lot of big corporations are moving towards "planned obsolescence". This is extremely dangerous from point of view of (both) consumer and humanity at large.
There is nothing new about it. They have to make stuff so that it wears out, so they can sell more. It's been going on since for ever.

There is nothing new about it. They have to make stuff so that it wears out, so they can sell more. It's been going on since for ever.

I hardly remember any electronics products that lasts and works well beyond the 2nd year. Sony seems to have world patent on making their products fails beautifully. Today, after the second or third year, if an electronics item fails, I just throw it away and replace. Same thing with refrigerators and washing machines. Those are between 5-10 years.

Cheers

Dear FMs

I've found these things hard way and I've concluded following about mobile phones :

There are four categories :

1. Good Global brands (Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Sony, Panasonic, LG etc.)

2. Good Chinese Brands ( Lenovo, Huawei, Oppo)

3. Indian Phones (re-badged CBU Chinese Brands - Micromax, LAVA, Xolo Etc.)

4. Downright cheap Chinese phones with no name no warranty

A good global phone is always a yes yes....

Reasons :

They give you what they promise.

Good software / Hardware optimization.

Better availability of spares / service centers / accessories

Better build quality.

In case you buy 3rd category you sometimes strike it lucky and get a good phone which outlasts it's expected life but the general consensus is still that these phones don't always perform at their optimum.

And although it's mendatory to mention the SAR values but I somewhat can't believer thses re-badgers for what they promise.

I think the wise thing is to spend our hard earned money on a quality product.

Choose Wisely .....Live well :eek:hyeah:

(No copyright infringement intended)

Common guys.
Respect the desi companies who are striving to put a handset that is affordable to a person who does not have money for 2 square meals a day.
For a construction worker or housemaid, even Rs. 100 is a big thing. But they still need a means of communication to survive in this century.
Does it really matter that the parts of the phone are coming from China/Taiwan/Mars but it is only assembled in India?
India is behind in some manufacturing technologies (silicon for one); we will never catch up with Taiwan/China combine.
But we are damn good in some areas like SW services, BPO, etc. And coming to the mobile market we have a huge population to support.
It is never going to be easy to strike a balance between quality and quantity. Each company plays in its comfort zone.

For a guy in construction, a cheap non smart phone is the safest buy. It should take dings, falls, dust and work with a plastic wrap on it.
My housemaid actually has a fantastic cellophane wrap on her phone. She can use it even when washing dishes or clothes without fear.
Try that with smartphones.

Android phones are always "smartphones". There is display tech and battery tech. Both of which have limitations (meaning designed to do what they should be doing).
And then there is OS + app bloat.
Take any smart phone, don't install every app under the sun and try not to do auto upgrade of OS and apps. They will definitely last longer than they would if we keep piling stuff into it.

Respect the desi companies who are striving to put a handset that is affordable to a person who does not have money for 2 square meals a day.

For a construction worker or housemaid, even Rs. 100 is a big thing. But they still need a means of communication to survive in this century.
I thought the discussion was about Android Device Manufacturers. :)

Take any smart phone, don't install every app under the sun and try not to do auto upgrade of OS and apps. They will definitely last longer than they would if we keep piling stuff into it.

I fully agree.

I thought the discussion was about Android Device Manufacturers. :)

Capt,

The title suggests Indian Android Device Manufacturers and one or two desi companies are being mentioned. Hence my response.
All smartphones go into planned/unplanned death after a few years.
It would be unfair to tag only the local companies when devices from well known international brands also exhibit similar traits.

Cheers,
Raghu

The title suggests Indian Android Device Manufacturers and one or two desi companies are being mentioned. Hence my response.

All smartphones go into planned/unplanned death after a few years.
It would be unfair to tag only the local companies when devices from well known international brands also exhibit similar traits.

Point well taken Raghu. Though the thread title talks about Made in India phones, it is applicable to others as well IMO. That's how I found it fit to mention my experience with Samsung Grand Duos phone.

Point well taken Raghu. Though the thread title talks about Made in India phones, it is applicable to others as well IMO. That's how I found it fit to mention my experience with Samsung Grand Duos phone.

Completely agree.
My wife keeps buying flagship phones every 2 years and they all keep dying on her or become obsolete.
But then she needs a lot of apps on her device due to her profession (journalist), not to mention rough usage too.
I keep telling her to buy cheap Indian phones, but her contention is that they will die in 6 months in her hands.

Cheers,
Raghu

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back