How is RED dragonfly dac

amit11

Hi Friends,

I wanted to know how is your experience of the red dragonfly dac from audio quest.
Asking because it is a usb dac and most usb dacs are prone to power-supply issues. Because it does not have a separate power supply and uses from the host it is attached to it. So how much does the source noise affect the sound quality of this dac? i was thinking to simplify my whole chain. I have read that his dac is used from head-phone perspective but i wanted to use its output to connect to stereo amplifier.

regards,
amit.

There is not much noise floor on the Dragonfly Red , have not used it with speakers but had used it for a prolonged period with my phone and headphones/IEM. If you are worried about the noise floor the Audiquest Jitterbug should be able to give you a cleaner output paired with the Dragonfly Red.

I have been using Dragonfly black (not red) with both my One plus 7 pro via a usb otg adapter and laptop directly to connect my Denon pma 600 amp.. Works fine.. No noise floor issue.. Resolution is quite good too.. But, inbuilt dac of my amp sounds better subjectively while using via coaxial input.. Dac section of denon is unbranded still it works better.. Might be due to the fact that Dragonfly outputs only 1.2v rms which is not sufficient for preamp of denon works at its best, just my speculation .. Df Red one has 2v output.. So it might perform better in this case scenario..

I have been using Dragonfly black (not red) with..... Dragonfly outputs only 1.2v rms which is not sufficient for preamp of denon works at its best, just my speculation .. Df Red one has 2v output.. So it might perform better in this case scenario..
The black which you have, is it the 1st version of black, or the 2nd version?

When I wrote to Mr Rossi for a recommendation on a budget ‘something’ to connect an iPad or an iPhone to his amp , he suggested , the following.
So that has piqued my interest too.

Hi ........,

I would look into the Audioquest Dragonfly: https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-red

There are 3 different versions, and all reasonably priced for what they offer. They can be connected to iOS devices (You need the USB dongle for this).

Best regards,

Vinnie

Vinnie-Rossi-logo_200.png

Vinnie Rossi
800 Main Street | Suite 125
Holden | MA | 01520 USA

+1 (774)-234-0800
www.vinnierossi.com

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back