how test electronic crossover without any instruments?

soundnovice

hi all,

i have rigged up circuit for 2-way crossover circuits as per Rod Elliott's project 9.
Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover

i dont have signal generator or oscilloscope. i have a pair full range drivers (old pioneer 4") and T-amp (max 25W/channel). Please let me know how can i test that the crossover circuit is doing its job.

thanks,
Pranam

hi all,

i have rigged up circuit for 2-way crossover circuits as per Rod Elliott's project 9.
Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover

i dont have signal generator or oscilloscope. i have a pair full range drivers (old pioneer 4") and T-amp (max 25W/channel). Please let me know how can i test that the crossover circuit is doing its job.

thanks,
Pranam

Good going...

Are you using a breadboard or veroboard? In any case attach a 1.8 headphone jack before the input buffer and connect to the PC sound card output or any other gadget with a headphone out(one channel is sufficient) - connect the xover outputs(after the buffer) to amplifier L&R channels. Play a song & if the circuit is working, you will be able to hear the crossover using your speakers.

Good going...

Are you using a breadboard or veroboard? In any case attach a 1.8 headphone jack before the input buffer and connect to the PC sound card output or any other gadget with a headphone out(one channel is sufficient) - connect the xover outputs(after the buffer) to amplifier L&R channels. Play a song & if the circuit is working, you will be able to hear the crossover using your speakers.

i did the same testing. but at both low and high pass filter outputs i am hearing same tone( i am using winISD's signal gen. tool to generate frequencies). the filter cutoff is set at 300hz, so at high pass output i should not here any 300hz (or less) tone. right? but i am hearing tones at both xover outputs:rolleyes:

but i am hearing tones at both xover outputs:rolleyes:

Well, you will hear the tone at both the outputs, infact at xover point the levels will be same at both the outputs. Nothing seems to be wrong with this finding. At xover the transition in levels follows a slope (not abrupt).

As you lower the frequency, the high pass will show reduced levels and the low pass will show increased levels, as per Figure 2 on the Linkwitz page in the first post.

Regards,
Goldy

Last edited:
Well, you will hear the tone at both the outputs, infact at xover point the levels will be same at both the outputs. Nothing seems to be wrong with this finding. The transition is never abrupt but a slope instead.

As you lower the frequency, the high pass will show reduced levels and the low pass will show increased levels, as per Figure 2 on the Linkwitz page in the first post.

Regards,
Goldy

so how to measure and compare output of xover with input and make sure the circuit is working?

i have one more (dumb :confused:) question!
where should the ground lines of audio (input and xover output) need to be connected? do they need to be shorted with powersupply/xover ground?

If you have a software called soundeasy and a multichannel sound card any crossover can be stimulated with lpf and hpf sound components output through different channels. The sound output depends upon the component values selected and this sound can be directly amplified and fed to the drivers directly.
The physical crossover can be built later on the determined values

If you have a software called soundeasy and a multichannel sound card any crossover can be stimulated with lpf and hpf sound components output through different channels. The sound output depends upon the component values selected and this sound can be directly amplified and fed to the drivers directly.
The physical crossover can be built later on the determined values

i dont have desktop pc. so can u suggest a good and affordable external sound card for laptop suitable for this purpose? or what i should look for while purchasing such sound card?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back