How to audition speakers

Well, when I began, I did not know what it is I have [had] to look for.......
I still do not know, 1.5 decades have gone.
It is a never ending road;
We just need to start walking, learn as we go along.....:clapping:

No offenses mate but probably that is the reason why you end up selling uber expensive equipment every now and then at throw away prices.:p You are fortunate to be able to afford that but many of us are struggling to even get a decent system to begin their audio journey.

My 2 cents of advice is to enable that they take the first few tentative steps without falling and hurting.:)

Runs for cover.;)

Last edited:
but many of us are struggling to even get a decent system to begin their audio journey.
)

Capt,
I do agree i am still planing for last 9 months to get to setup my first Audio as of my choice. My understanding because of budget, the audio market is very narrow in india compared to Video/Portable devices.

Capt,
I do agree i am still planing for last 9 months to get to setup my first Audio as of my choice. My understanding because of budget, the audio market is very narrow in india compared to Video/Portable devices.

Actually the question raised by Captrajesh is very valid..on do you know what you are looking for.
Maybe one way of looking at this is about how serious you are about your system. it is very easy (and nothing wrong) to be happy with a Bose/yamaha music system as well although you may miss a lot of info..not everyone looks for that much info.
Most of the folks here do devote time to their Stereo/HT, hence in our responses the "dedication" to the system is assumed automatically , although that may not be the case.

If you are looking for a casual system , to provide music in the background then there are some excellent systems by Onkyo and Denon which provide more quality than you can hope for from the standard Sony etc..under 50K

if you do what to get into this as a serious hobby..go around and listen to what systems are available in peoples homes (most would love to have you over) and then listen with your ears on what you want within your budget. if there are options the folks here would help you finetune it

BTW you can keep your time for acquisition as flexible but your budget must be clearly defined as this hobby can suck $$$ out of you without even realizing it ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
...i am still planing for last 9 months to get to setup my first Audio as of my choice.

This is interesting. Most of us here have been there at some point and am sure a lot more are going through this phase as we speak. Inspired by my system, a friend of mine who had been a diehard headphone person is now planning to put down upwards of $5k after listening to just one long session at a colleague's place. At the risk of having the distant possibly to be blamed if something goes wrong, I actually envy his outlook! No research, umpteen auditions, sleepless nights...nothing. Just going by his friends' word. Impulsive? perhaps. He definitely has the ear for good music, so that's a saving grace :)

I actually envy his outlook! No research, umpteen auditions, sleepless nights...nothing. Just going by his friends' word. Impulsive? perhaps. He definitely has the ear for good music, so that's a saving grace :)

Well, this is how it is to be.
We have taken the wrong turn...
We let our 'brain' decide' for us & your friend is allowing his 'heart' to call the shots.
At the end of the day it is a 'hobby' & it is supposed to give one joy & pleasure & not heart burn.
So, if your friend wants to go with the flow, please do encourage him & get him to 'audition' as many set ups as you possibly can manage...
All the Best !!

Guys, thanks for posting all your great advices, this help us to learn on some good tips on audition.
My understanding on Speaker placement for BS, It should be triangle of equal distance between you and speakers.
I am used with nearfield listening on my bose companion 3, so i am interested to move on Some quality BS,Amp and CDP stereo setup. I have read lot about B&W 685, so i am inclined to 685 setup.

I kinda like this thread :)

Looking at what you are listening to now and the fact that you are not satisfied means that you are looking for something different. Give us answers to the following?

1.What parameters are missing from your current system ? This is from your current experience.

2.Can you do some auditions in some audiophile members from this forum (in your city) and report back what you liked from what you heard.

These are the first steps to identifying what you need at this point in time.

BTW: From what I have heard, I would stay away from the b&w 600 series loudspeakers. There are many others which can entertain you more at a lesser price point ;)

I am an absolutely newbie and trying to figure out what a good LoudSpeaker sounds like and what the best LoudSpeaker sound like. This may be simply linked to what kind of sound I like to hear, what is my content and what I can afford. Isint it?

Its been a year, I have been listening to same 3-4 songs hundreds of times with different settings on my AVR and Speakers, same 1 minute clip of a Movie with some action shots, gun fires, Bomb Blasts, dialogues going loud and somebody whispering, Cars passing by at a super speed with that "whuzz" sound :)

After an year I can make out that the way I had my HT setup on day 1 is now sounding much better after learning some basics about sound/technical aspects and benchmarks from this Forum and applying on my HT.

Now when I know how much is achieved and probably after auditioning few options which are of my next budget level, I can also make out where my current setup is lacking or not reaching.

Probably its very difficult to acieve a level where you can comment HOW it must sound, its much easier to take reference from past listening experience and compare it with what you are aspiring next and judge how good or bad it is.

Mastering your ears to some variety of sounds and then taking them along at audition has helped me.

Just my opinion .... I am nobody here to guide :)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back