How to compare floor standing speakers

Ok.. Now why i need FS bcoz..
......<snipped>
-I like My yht299 very much in movies. Not while listening music. Some how lack in Bass (while music). ....<snipped>

Since, you've got the yht299, why can't you go for an Yamaha FS?

Today, I auditioned YHT 299; the same AVR, @ the same volume was connected to two different FSs; one with 80W & another with 100W; unfortunately, I didn't ask for the impedance.

These were simultaneously auditioned in the same room with continutity of the scenes.

YHT299 was with it's stock sub & the FS with another active sub.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to note down the model numbers of these systems.

If you're still in Chennai, you may try their showroom at Kilpauk Garden road (near Post office & diagoally opposite to RAAK dance academy)

Last edited:
I beg to differ. In my humble opinion, it music is your priority, the speaker sensitivity less than 90 db, say around 86 to 89 will be the best choice. If the sensitivity is more than 90 db, just a slight turn on the volume knob of your amp will increase the sound. To get the full potential of the amp, the volume knob should reach around 10 o'clock position. If the db is more, the sound will be intolerable.

Hi Preth30,

These parameters were made only as pointers to compare FS...But not selecting them based on specs....

Since, you've got the yht299, why can't you go for an Yamaha FS?

Today, I auditioned YHT 2299; the same AVR, @ the same volume was connected to two different FSs; one with 80W & another with 100W; unfortunately, I didn't ask for the impedance.

These were simultaneously auditioned in the same room with continutity of the scenes.

YHT299 was with it's stock sub & the FS with another active sub.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to note down the model numbers of these systems.

If you're still in Chennai, you may try their showroom at Kilpauk Garden road (near Post office & diagoally opposite to RAAK dance academy)

Which showroom u saw these swttings?

Vipul Audio Tech.

Sorry for not mentioning it! :)

BK
Hi MJ23Bulls
Now i am in hosur. I il be in chennai coming saturday. On that day i il visit tat showroom.

One more thing.. if htr3066 is possible to fit with FS, I am ready to buy FS. So if u hav any idea with FS around 20k, giv me the models. Thanx in Adv.

Hello,
Here I've got the (somewhat partial) list of what I had auditioned yesterday (Thanks Praveen @ Vipul Audio Tech! He can be reached at 99414 76667)

Stock setup!
1) Yamaha YHT 299 - 5.1

2) With the same receiver (RXV 375)
FS 8390
Surround NS P 60
Sub SW315

3) Another FS was also used but it's number isn't given. :( So, I'm not able to write here

Regards,
BK

P.S: Purposely I'm resisting myself to write about the sonic impressions of the audition. Just because I'm not good at expressing such nuances as I lack the knowledge.
On the initial listening of 299 (Movie Shivaji was played, local DVD print), I could feel the 5.1 at work; very precise effects! Then with the remote, just the 2nd setup was connected (with the continuity in scene); boom! Then, I could feel the place rumbling. Not a hevay bass though but a great improvement. I mention "a great improvement" because there were much more details to the sound than the yht299 at the same volume level.
The same avr at the same volume level sounded very, very differently on two different systems.
Then a 100W FS was also connected to the 2nd setup. Agiain, there was some differences. "some" = I could not explain what they were.

If you can get hold of detailed specs for the speakers like the frequency response/sweep across the audio spectrum, how impedance and phase varies, till what frequency the low frequency response is flat, etc., then you will be able to make a more informed choice.

The ideal response for amplitude (y) plotted against frequency (x) must be flat, or nearly flat from 20 Hz to 20000 Hz. But real world speakers will invariably have a number of dips and peaks. Or the lowest octave may not be left with much power. These dips and peaks will not colour the reproduction of sound too perceptibly, but they will deviate from perfect neutralness.

Similarly, if a speaker is rated for 8 Ohms nominal impedance, the impedance must stay mostly at 8 Ohms or higher across the audio frequencies. If the impedance dips to half (4 Ohms), please note that the amplifier needs to supply twice the power. The amplifier's circuitry and power supply may not be equipped to deal with such a drastic demand. Similarly, if the impedance were to drop to 2 Ohms at some frequencies, the amplfier needs to supply 4 times the power. Over-wrought amplifiers may be equipped to deal with such demands, but most amplifiers will not be able to handle such a demand. This is the reason why some speakers are said to present a difficult load to amplifiers. 8 Ohms or better across the frquency band is a benign load for the amplifier.

Also, how OEMs choose to specify the frequency response matters. Some will clearly state that (for example) the full power is available till 32 Hz. After that, it drops precipitously, say at 6 dB per octave (or may even be 12 dB per octave). So by the time it reaches 16 Hz (one octave), the perceived loudness will have dropped by half (with 6 dB per octave roll off). That's the number, but it will not tell you how it will reproduce the texture of bass. For that a listening is needed.

Also, someone here dismissed sensitivity as being not too relevant. It is very relevant. A high sensitivity speaker needs less power to play loud. For example, let's say you have speakers that are 91 dB efficient. Using these speakers, let's say your usual listening level at your listening chair/couch is 85 dB (SPL). If you have speaker that is instead 3 dB less efficient, viz 88 dB efficient, you need an amplifier of twice the power to produce the same 85 dB loudness. Alternately, you need to crank up the volume of your 40W amp to twice the power. If you look at the cost of entry/mid level amplifiers in the 40-50 Watt range and 80-100 Watt range, there is a lot of difference in cost.

My point being: don't ignore specs. They tell a lot. But not everything. You can make a shortlist of speakers based on specs, but you must go out and listen and choose what you like. Take along your favourite tracks.

Friends..
Last wk i saw a demo for jamo FS with Denon x500. What a poor quality in sound i have ever experienced.
But now i zeroed with two FS for my yht299.
1. Dali Zensor 5
2. Mission m34i
I need to know the cost of these FS'. If anyone knows the price, please inform me.
ThanX
Elango.

From my experience, for music, speaker sensitivity of 87 to 89db is the apt one. You may have to crank up your amps volume controller a little. But sound it produces will be more sweet and fuller. Nowadays most manufacturers give their floor standers a sensitivity above 90db. This is because those speakers are intended for movies also. But dedicated music speakers like the Sonus Fabers, Dynaudios etc keep their sensitivity below 90db.
Hi Preth30...
Let me know your final siggestion for me..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back