How to connect a pair of bookshelf to AVR and also to a STERIO AMP?

Dont think Niles is available, here, I also looked at that option since I too have a similar need, my Altec main L-R are connected to my HT as well as 2 channel audio. I am wiring up a DPDT switch-bought a good local brand called Gilard, Rs 110 per unit. This sits upstream of the XO and I can select amp 1 or amp 2. Plan to have it wired up and running sometime next week.

There are some ways to do that. This has been discussed a few times on the forum, once quite recently. Search for them.
Easiest would be a speaker switch box.
Else you will need amp with pre out.
A few stereo amps do come with a HT bypass switch.
Go through this
http://www.hifihunter.com/articles/improving-stereo-performance-surround-sound-setup-part-2/

One query !

I do have Denon X2000 AVR (with Pre-out feature) and Marantz PM8005 (with HT bypass feature) and I want to connect these both with Dali Zensor 7. I read and see everywhere that using the HT bypass feature is encouraged, but for normal watching TV (for which mostly the setup used), isn't keeping turn on both AVR and Amp an incorrect way, both will consume electricity and both resources will be used. Then why swapping of cables using banana plugs is not encouraged? Any technical reason or just comfortablity? I just wanted to clear my fundamental ideas.

Sorry, if question seems silly.

Attaching two amplifiers in parallel to a speaker is not a good idea.
You do not need a speaker switch.The speaker switch is required to switch on one pair of speakers from another.Speaker a ,speaker B powered by one amplifier.
The idea about using front preout powering stereo amplifier is good.
But basically why do you want to connect a pair of speakers to different amplifiers?

Attaching two amplifiers in parallel to a speaker is not a good idea.
You do not need a speaker switch.The speaker switch is required to switch on one pair of speakers from another.Speaker a ,speaker B powered by one amplifier.
The idea about using front preout powering stereo amplifier is good.
But basically why do you want to connect a pair of speakers to different amplifiers?

I don't want to buy another pair of speaker for separate stereo listening or HT. That's for why, I want to use those same set of speakers for stereo listening using stereo amp and watching movies using AVR.

If you have a High End AVR ....you can use the same for Stereo...

Example the SR series AVRs from Marantz use the same circuit (HDAM) which is used in their stereo amps....hence eliminates the need for an additional amp unless you have different rooms etc....

I use the SR6008 and listen to 80% music on stereo mode....when it is movies....then HT modes....

All that matters is proper settings and tweaks to make it work for you

If you have a High End AVR ....you can use the same for Stereo...

Example the SR series AVRs from Marantz use the same circuit (HDAM) which is used in their stereo amps....hence eliminates the need for an additional amp unless you have different rooms etc....

I use the SR6008 and listen to 80% music on stereo mode....when it is movies....then HT modes....

All that matters is proper settings and tweaks to make it work for you

Thanks for your response and I understand your the concept you explain, but as I mentioned I do have already a Denon AVR and separate Marantz Amp, and I want do anything I can do with these only, can't buy any other for now.

Thanks for your response and I understand your the concept you explain, but as I mentioned I do have already a Denon AVR and separate Marantz Amp, and I want do anything I can do with these only, can't buy any other for now.
If you are able to hear the difference between two amplifiers,you will need to buy switch.New switch may cost around 4000 rupees on amazon.

One query !

I do have Denon X2000 AVR (with Pre-out feature) and Marantz PM8005 (with HT bypass feature) and I want to connect these both with Dali Zensor 7. I read and see everywhere that using the HT bypass feature is encouraged, but for normal watching TV (for which mostly the setup used), isn't keeping turn on both AVR and Amp an incorrect way, both will consume electricity and both resources will be used. Then why swapping of cables using banana plugs is not encouraged? Any technical reason or just comfortablity? I just wanted to clear my fundamental ideas.

Sorry, if question seems silly.

Not a silly question at all. Infact this is a cause for concern for many of us who need to watch the meter go round.

The best way is to connect the speakers to the Stereo Amp. Connect all your Stereo sources to the Stereo Amp. That way you need to switch on only the stereo amp for your Stereo sources. Connect the Pre Out from the receiver to the Stereo Amp. All multi channel inputs as guessed are connected to your Receiver. Hence both receiver and stereo amp are On when you are using your multi channel sources and the stereo amp acts as your amp for Front Channel speakers. This is how I had my setup hooked.

There is no harm as such in plugging in and plugging out banana plugs. The issue arises after an interval of time when the plugs start wearing out due to the action. Same with the speaker ports too. This wearing out can at times cause interference, loose grip of the plugs, etc. The biggest irritant is infact when you are having to do this action with guests in the house or during a member meet when it becomes a tad bit annoying.

MaSh

Not a silly question at all. Infact this is a cause for concern for many of us who need to watch the meter go round.

The best way is to connect the speakers to the Stereo Amp. Connect all your Stereo sources to the Stereo Amp. That way you need to switch on only the stereo amp for your Stereo sources. Connect the Pre Out from the receiver to the Stereo Amp. All multi channel inputs as guessed are connected to your Receiver. Hence both receiver and stereo amp are On when you are using your multi channel sources and the stereo amp acts as your amp for Front Channel speakers. This is how I had my setup hooked.

There is no harm as such in plugging in and plugging out banana plugs. The issue arises after an interval of time when the plugs start wearing out due to the action. Same with the speaker ports too. This wearing out can at times cause interference, loose grip of the plugs, etc. The biggest irritant is infact when you are having to do this action with guests in the house or during a member meet when it becomes a tad bit annoying.

MaSh
That’s the thing i wanted to know regarding benefits of using ht bypass over swapping of banana plugs. Obviously using remote is a smarter way than manual swapping

MaSh
Dear MaSh, From your signature I dont find any stereo amp. Here by 'Stereo Amp' you mean 'Stereo Integrated Amp'.
But tell me in your set up how does a stereo amp helps. I think one Power Amplifier will improve listening pleasure.
Regards

Dear MaSh, From your signature I dont find any stereo amp. Here by 'Stereo Amp' you mean 'Stereo Integrated Amp'.
But tell me in your set up how does a stereo amp helps. I think one Power Amplifier will improve listening pleasure.
Regards

Yes thats because I dont have any now. I had a Pioneer stereo integrated and then a NAD stereo integrated. By Integrated I mean, they had their own Volume control. When I had them, I had connected all my stereo sources to the Stereo Amp inputs. The Preout from my receiver was also connected to one of the inputs on the stereo amp (NAD helped a bit here as I could run it as a Power amp bypassing its Preamp stage). Adding an external amp gave me more flexibility for stereo sources and headroom in case of multichannel.

However, at the moment, I have no Stereo amps in the chain, a power amp might get added, however, not yet sure about it.

MaSh

Thank you MaSh. My point is if you have too many stereo sources that can not be accomodated in your receiver then you think of an alternative (stereo amplifier) so that all your sources can stay connected.
Power amplifier is not required if the receiver is driving speakers efficiently.

Thank you MaSh. My point is if you have too many stereo sources that can not be accomodated in your receiver then you think of an alternative (stereo amplifier) so that all your sources can stay connected.
Power amplifier is not required if the receiver is driving speakers efficiently.

Hmm that was not the thing in my case. I did not want the receiver to intervene in Stereo sources. Hence, bypassed the receiver for all Stereo sources. Stereo sources fed to a stereo amp sound better than when through a receiver, even when receiver feeds the stereo amp through its Pre Outs. Also, its much easier and quicker to turn things on for just music listening. A Power amp will again need the receiver to be switched on for the Preamp Stage.

MaSh

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back