How to connect my laptop with HT?

saurabh81

I am planning to setup a HT and use my Laptop as media source. I want to know how to connect the laptop to the AVR?

My laptop provides SPDIF out thru headphone jack (3.5mm/ mini jack). I have following queries:

1. How to get the output?
Is there a mini jack to coaxial/ optical adapter or cable available? If yes where can I find it in Bangalore (or anywhere) and how much will it cost?

2. My laptop does not support 5.1 channels output in analogue, will it support
5.1 channel in digital out. If not how to get 5.1 (or 7.1) channel digital out? One way is to use external sound card, how much will it cost? Is there other way?

Thanks

Saruabh, I am sure there is a connector which can help you fix the mini-jack problem and connect to the SPDIF-in of your AVR.

And yes, the digital out will convey audio in multiple channels - depending on source materials. Or depending on the mode set in your AVR.

I would say the easiest way to connect your laptop to your HT would be through an USB soundcard. There are many on the market including offerings from M-Audio, Creative and ASUS.

I am planning to setup a HT and use my Laptop as media source. I want to know how to connect the laptop to the AVR?

My laptop provides SPDIF out thru headphone jack (3.5mm/ mini jack). I have following queries:

Is there a mini jack to coaxial/ optical adapter or cable available? If yes where can I find it in Bangalore (or anywhere) and how much will it cost?

5.1 channel in digital out. If not how to get 5.1 (or 7.1) channel digital out? One way is to use external sound card, how much will it cost? Is there other way?

Thanks

1. Yes, you get both adapter and mini jack - toslink optical cables. online prices for for adapter varies from $0.01 to $5; cabels range from $1 to $40. If you can't find them in local stores, you can get them online in ebay.
If there is a shop that has extensive range of Belkin cables, try there. Belkin has a product called universal optical cable. its basically a toslink cable with the mini jack adapter in the same box.

2. I'm not an expert, but my guess is it depends on your sound card, whether it has a pass thru for DD/DTS. couple of usb sc suggestions are M-Audio transit (~ $100) & Creative x-fi 5.1 (~$55) has a AC-3 / DTS passthrough function for 5.1. but go through the user reviews of both these products before taking the plunge.

If you sat 3.5jack outputs SPDF out ,it must be sharing something else.
ie.3.5 stereo jack is made of 2 ch.So need to check specifically.
Once know it,take stereo to RCA connector & input it to AVR spdf in.
When you play any DVD file ,set players output to SPDF(like in VLC)

If you sat 3.5jack outputs SPDF out ,it must be sharing something else.
ie.3.5 stereo jack is made of 2 ch.So need to check specifically.

It is shared with analog headphone...
I have cross checked it with the HP tech support, they told i can take the SPDIF o/p thru the head phone jack (only 2 points will be used and the third one will be idle)...

I saw some 3.5 mm jack to coaxial adapters too (on internet) but was wondering if it will work????

Once know it,take stereo to RCA connector & input it to AVR spdf in.
When you play any DVD file ,set players output to SPDF(like in VLC)

I think the digital out will be dirctly from the DVD file so it should be 5.1 channel, as its not getting processed??? Pardon me if it sound foolish :)

If not do i need seperate sound card to get 5.1 out. Please suggest some....

See if it is SPDF out,then you can 5.1ch output in digital form to AVR & it will decode it to get 5.1ana surr output from spk.

I still dont understad your SPDF output.If it shares HEADPHONE too,then you must be getting mono output in headphone.OR it must be pin like mobile which has 4 connections in 3.5mm Jack.

The 3.5 mm headphone jack in my laptop provides analog stereo out
I am not sure but I think: Digital coaxial output requires only two points, hence the third point in headphone jack will be left idle
So I think I need an adapter like this: http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/53000331/Images/6/2-HF-A__1.jpg
Actually that is what I am trying to verify, that whether this will work???

@ marsilians:
You are correct, can i merge this thread with that one?

Last edited:
Well when you say stereo,it should have 3 connecting points, Rt,Lt & ground.
The connecter you showed has 2 connecting poit which may cancle one of the signal which will be grounded.go for this-
Thanks spirovious,
But i think for digital coaxial signal only one two point connector is required...
As the input in AVR has only one coaxial jack, i found this on the left hand side in this imge
tx_sr_307re_big.jpg

So i think for getting SPDIF out from the laptop only one two pin 3.5mm mini jack to coaxial converter, and after that i can use the regular coaxial cable...
Am i correct???

Indeed I know that,but when you say Laptop outputs stereo,then as I said earlier,if you use 2point to RCA connecter,chance is one of the original line(of that stereo out)will get grounded & hopefully it is not the same as SPDF.
I dont to how to put in words,but I am very firm technically on what I am saying. Pls check that.

Thanks
where is the laptop manual? It will be suggesting how to get a matching SPDIF out adapter.

i suppose it will be adapter with optical transceiver which will take voltage from the jack and run a laser.

get a spdif cable connect to avr .

i feel ,a SPDIF adapter should work

like this
For only $0.48 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Toslink Female to Toslink Mini Male Adapter | Toslink Adapter

but how do you know the laptop is capable of SPDIF out

BTW these adapters are available in Lamington Road for 75 INR. One of my friends had picked one up to get spdif out from his creative card. In fact the creative live 5.1 in my download rig can output in spdif mode (just a button has to be checked in the SW)

i feel ,a SPDIF adapter should work

like this
For only $0.48 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Toslink Female to Toslink Mini Male Adapter | Toslink Adapter

but how do you know the laptop is capable of SPDIF out

In Control Panel -> Sound, the device config shows "Speaker" and "SPDIF" i turned on the "SPDIF" and it started showing the sound graph...

The manual indicates right head phone jack as "Headphone/ SPDIF".

Also i checked with tech support they confirmed it supports SPDIF, how to turn it on (as explained above) and also the port (as mentioned above) but they were not clear about how to get o/p????

I think i have to give Toshlink adapter a try...

Where can i find it in Bangalore any idea??

In Control Panel -> Sound, the device config shows "Speaker" and "SPDIF" i turned on the "SPDIF" and it started showing the sound graph...

The manual indicates right head phone jack as "Headphone/ SPDIF".

Also i checked with tech support they confirmed it supports SPDIF, how to turn it on (as explained above) and also the port (as mentioned above) but they were not clear about how to get o/p????

I think i have to give Toshlink adapter a try...

Where can i find it in Bangalore any idea??

yes sometimes a headphone/line out jack is used for multiple purposes by manufacturers to cut costs. Get a toshlink adapter and you should be fine - try out any of the IT goods areas (not familiar with bangalore) or the market near the station that sells imported & chinese goods.

When you use output in the mixer as spdif - and play ac3/dts files off the lappy, you will see your receiver (if it is capable) light up showing ac3/dts.

where else than sp road in bangalore!

make sure u take a picture of the adapter
on your phone ...market guys may not know by name

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back