How to develop my taste in music?

Hi

Let me start with a bit of personal background as that will be relevant for my questions. I was born in a traditional middle class family in MP. Hardly watched any movies, tv or radio probably till 8th-10th class. Got selected for an exam I prepped for and left after 12th, went to Mumbai. I listened to music rarely on some sunday shows or while playing antakshari till that time
I also grew up listening to radio. Then cassettes came around. But whatever I listened to was predominantly Bollywood and ghazals. Just like you I like some English songs. But, like you despite being proficiency with language, I don't find myself at home with English music. I also like very tiny percentage from newer artists and music. I don't think it's a wrong thing or any deficiency on my part. It's normal. One doesn't need to develop taste for anything forcefully.

If you want to expand your taste, natural progression for you would be Indian Classical, Instrumental & Fusion. You would identify with that type of music much better.

Hi

Let me start with a bit of personal background as that will be relevant for my questions. I was born in a traditional middle class family in MP. Hardly watched any movies, tv or radio probably till 8th-10th class. Got selected for an exam I prepped for and left after 12th, went to Mumbai. I listened to music rarely on some sunday shows or while playing antakshari till that time

In my hostel life, post 12th, is truly when I started interacting with the world apart from studies etc. Started watching movies, tv series, opened an email account, played lan games and started listening to music. Listened to mostly Hindi music but got exposed to few classic english songs too because of my wingmates and other aficionados in my hostel.

I love old songs anything which is not too loud and truly love kishor,rafi and older hits.
Over the past few years, I have reached a stage in my life when I have time to cultivate new interests and can honestly afford to do it easily now. I have tried several times to listen to English songs and expand my taste for music from 'just bollywood' songs, old and some new ones. I am fluent in English and language is not a barrier.

However, the problem is this: It always feels like a chore to me, I have fallen in love with a few english songs and artists - Johnny cash, Taylor Swift. Out of 100 songs that I try I like maybe 5 new songs. It feels like work and after that when I listen to my favorites in my 'existing' taste of music, I feel so relieved.
Also, I am not that comfortable listening to songs on headphones, get uneasy feeling after a couple of songs. On my speakers I can listen to songs for an hour or so before it overwhelms my senses.

Sorry for the long post, am not sure if I have a point, but I want to know your point of view on the following:

1. Did any of you have similar journeys? What helped you expand your taste?

2. Is it just me or do you all have such low hit rate for liking new songs (5/100)?

3. Should I just give up and stay within my defined boundaries (existing taste) ?

I have recently gotten a Tidal subscription and have taken a lot of playlists from other FMs and websites, to create a collection, which I am trying now to see if it sparks an interest. I have an okay setup for my avr/speakers - yamaha htr3072/boston acoustics 5.1 played via my nuc on tidal

One more tidbit: I can typically watch movies/tv series and can game for long sessions - so most probably not a physical limitation. Maybe I am just overanalyzing myself and complicating things - I guess that is the downside of being an Analyst, when you turn your tools inwards
Easy way out is to go listen to yours friends systems in bangalore. Or make a WhatsApp group with like minded aficionados where new tidal discoveries are shared in the group. We have a very active tidal users group in hyderabad. And the usual recommended tracks have mostly been more hit than miss. So that remains my main means of discovering new music :)

Pre corona times we would be visiting each other's homes very frequently in the evenings for a listen to their new purchases / upgrades. But that has dwindled a bit now sadly

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back