How to get 4k video from streaming device using old 1080p AVR.

k_vijay12

Hi,
I have a 4k 55" tv with Dolby and Atmos. I am using it with my Yamaha rx471 5.1 AVR. The ARC works flawless and quiet happy with the present performance. One issue is inbuilt memory of tv is full and i m not able to download any more apps. I m thinking of buying a 4k streaming device. Since the AVR doesn't support 4k, i need to Connect streamer to TV only directly. If i use the streamer in Hdmi 2 slot of tv and connect avr to Hdmi1 ARC slot, will this set up still work?

Please advice on how to connect this. Appreciate your help.

I guess connecting a device like the Fire Stick 4K directly to the TV and running a HDMI cable from the arc Hdmi port of the TV to the receiver should give you 4K video.

Someone should test this and confirm but as per my understanding, it will depend on the TV.

I have not seen HDMI stream from one port being passed through to another port on a TV or Projector, which is basically what you are looking for. I tried a similar approach on my Epson projector with my rx-v575 and a firestick, but the audio information did not pass through to the AVR.

Someone should test this and confirm but as per my understanding, it will depend on the TV.

I have not seen HDMI stream from one port being passed through to another port on a TV or Projector, which is basically what you are looking for. I tried a similar approach on my Epson projector with my rx-v575 and a firestick, but the audio information did not pass through to the AVR.
Here is some writeup about it https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/hdmi-audio-return-channel-and-earc-for-beginners/. Look under the section "Using the TV as a Hdmi switch". It appears this should work.

Cheers.

Thanks a lot guys for your inputs.

So which is the best 4k streamer in market with good audio? I have firestick but it's old 1080p one. Is firestick 4k better or Google Chrome cast?

So which is the best 4k streamer in market with good audio? I have firestick but it's old 1080p one. Is firestick 4k better or Google Chrome cast?

The 4K Firestick and 4K MAX have worked really well for me. BUT, Have not used it with receivers so I can't comment on Audio passthrough, etc. The other money no object streamer is the nVidia Shield. Pro

Hi

I believe your TV must be having Optical out. I've connected Firestick 4k to my TV & Optical out to my 8 years old non-4k AVR. The setup works flawlessly.

I would definitely recommend this route as, for me, it works better than using ARC.

Best? nvidia shield otherwise Firestick 4K and Chrome Cast with Google TV are also good choice but there's only one streaming device that supports lossless audio and it's Nvidia Shield.

Back