How to get 5.1 Analogue from a Smart TV's SPDIF output

Brajendu

Hello experts.. one of my friend's TV has an SPDIF output... which we want to connect to a 5.1 speaker system. He has the speakers with RCA inputs only -AND- his TV has no RCA out. So what would a possible solution for him to connect SPDIF > 5.1 system?

Recently he bought a converter which didn't work.

spdif.jpg
He won't buy an AVR as of now, so kindly suggest if there's a way out.

Hello experts.. one of my friend's TV has an SPDIF output... which we want to connect to a 5.1 speaker system. He has the speakers with RCA inputs only -AND- his TV has no RCA out. So what would a possible solution for him to connect SPDIF > 5.1 system?

View attachment 41167
What exactly didnt work? The device itself or 5.1 output? I am assuming you have confirmed that TV gives out 5.1 over spidif.

Such devices are the only option to get 5.1 out or get something like an oppo player or an AV Preamp/processor.

MaSh

View attachment 41167
Are the speakers active ones since you mention that they have RCA connectors and also the fact that he won't buy AVR? So if they are active ones, then why need an AVR in the first place? Little confused or maybe I am getting it wrong. Cheers.

View attachment 41167
These solutions are a hit or miss. I tried searching for one but either they are very high end or cheap Chinese ones.

What exactly didnt work? The device itself or 5.1 output? I am assuming you have confirmed that TV gives out 5.1 over spidif.

Such devices are the only option to get 5.1 out or get something like an oppo player or an AV Preamp/processor.

MaSh
Thanks Mash for your suggestions! .. When I contacted the seller of this device, I'm told that this wont work from a TV but PC. I'm not sure what's the diff between a TV vs PC in terms of SPDIF out.

The OPPO player would be expensive I believe.
AV Preamp/processor is something different that a standard AVR?

@Mayank Shah : Speakers are active (the woofer has the Amp to power all the units) and have RCA inputs in 6 channelss individually.

@Amarendra: I agree what you said.

I also tried a entry level sound bar from Blaupunkt but it didn't sound good.. no channel separation.

Thanks Mash for your suggestions! .. When I contacted the seller of this device, I'm told that this wont work from a TV but PC. I'm not sure what's the diff between a TV vs PC in terms of SPDIF out.

The OPPO player would be expensive I believe.
AV Preamp/processor is something different that a standard AVR?

Hmm, very TVs that I recall give out multi-channel over spdif.

AVRs are usually all in a box, preamp, decoding, and Amplifiers. An AV preamp/processor is everything except the amplifier. Something like this on sale on the forum: Emotiva-mc700-pre-amp. You could check if it is still available.

MaSh

Hmm, very TVs that I recall give out multi-channel over spdif.

AVRs are usually all in a box, preamp, decoding, and Amplifiers. An AV preamp/processor is everything except the amplifier. Something like this on sale on the forum: Emotiva-mc700-pre-amp. You could check if it is still available.

MaSh
Thanks again for informing @MaSh ..! I'll check with the Emotiva.

View attachment 41167

This device would be the only solution. Secondly it also depends what output his TV is capable of...can be 2.0 or 2.1 or 5.1....also it depends on what playback content he is viewing. very few channels offer Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus ( 5.1 or 7.1). Most other channels are plain stereo or Dolby Digital 2.0.

If the friend is using the USB port to playback some movies, it should be in proper format. From what you have mentioned, it seems the connectivity is required to powered speakers ( possibly computer type.. Edifier or Logitech etc).

TV capability and content is really important...if the TV model and brand is known, perhaps we can check specs online and confirm on the capability...content then can be determined later....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back