How to get a Meridian Explorer?

ShutterX

I wish to buy a Meridian Explorer. Its to be used both with my PC and Speakers along with my Laptop and Headphones.

Does anyone have any experience with ordering from Amazon.com? Does the shipment reach home properly? Is there any way to reduce payable duty?

Would appreciate some guidance on this.

Cheers

I bought it from Amazon and get it shipped through Shop N Ship. Total cost was approx. 1500/- for shipping and duty and received it within one week. I think they understated the invoice value for reduced duty (around 700 Rs. in my case). i also bought Hrt microstreamer the same way.

I directly bought a projector from Amazon.com and they also delivered within one week. Duty was on actual invoice value.

@ Vinay - it good that you have both meridian and Hrt, how do you compare the both? I have microstreamer and like to hear about meridian.....How is soundstage and imaging differs over Hrt! Share your experience.
I app

Davinci - Thanks for asking this question. I was thinking of putting it in the forum but somehow did not consider myself to be qualified enough to compare and provide an opinion.

I am very poor in reviewing things but since you have asked, I will try to compare them.

Yes I have both and they are doing great job in their own right. Meridian looks and feel superior than HRT aesthetically and on paper. It can handle upto 192Khz resolution while HRT upto 96khz. Both has separate output for speakers and headphones.

As far as sound quality is concerned, initially it was very difficult for me to judge the performance because both are detailed, good in instrument separation and clarity.

I found HRT to be little brighter, upfront and more detailed as compared to Meridian. HRT in some recordings, sometimes feel harsh to my ears so I can say it throws out the kind of input you put into it. So it is not meant for bad recordings or poor mp3 files. But good recordings really shine through it.

Meridian on the other hand has slightly less details and bass but it has warm, balanced and addictive sound. I never felt to keep the volume down when Meridian is playing. Also, I never felt to switch it off when I listen through Meridian. It is great for extended hours listening.

I think if you have a brighter amp or speakers, Meridian will suit better and if amp and speaker had warm sound signature, HRT will bring out greater details.

Honestly, I could not determine much difference in 192khz and 96 kHz files playing on both of them.

So the big question is which one I like more. Though answer to this question is quite difficult but strangely I like HRT more due to its more detailed presentation. Please note that I do not consider myself an audiophile and these are only my personal observation on my very humble set-up. Results might be different to someone in different set-up.

Hope I was able to describe the minor differences.

Thanks Vinay[emoji106]....this what am expecting, yes HRT is brighter which may be harsh at some instance and couldn't use for a prolonged hours....but it delivers outstanding details.
I like to audition with ME[emoji41]

Yes. I think HRT has more raw, unbiased and honest presentation than Meridian.

Also, I think in your set-up it is even more enjoyable because I found wharfedale to be a bit on warmer side. So they compliment each other well :).

From what i can say, I correct in wanting an explorer. I dont like V shape sounds and My amp is also flat sounding. I have checked reviews of the SMSL sanskrit 6th gen. really good but cant really use with a laptop. Hence the Explorer. Are there any other options?

Thought about the Dragonfly. but it costs as much as an Explorer but doesnt sounds as good (from reviews)

ShutterX - Explorer is an excellent usb dac and it is selling at half of its price hence true value for money. It is a premium product. You will immediately fall in love with this little beauty. As I mentioned earlier, you will not want to switch it off it has such addictive sound. It is just that I like a little bright sound hence I am little biased towards HRT. My friend likes explorer more.

Thought about it long and decided to step away from the explorer. Will get one after a build a portable setup with laptop. Instead ordered the SMSL Sanskrit 6. Fingers crossed.

Instead of going for Meridian dac which is costly just buy below one.I have already used meridian and sold it its good but not worth for the money.Check the below site and select a model with sabre 9018 chip USb dac excellent for the money

HiFimeDIY Store

recommended or it have other models with same dac chip just serch around on there site
HiFime 9018 Asynchronous High resolution USB DAC

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back