How to identify if a TV is full HD?

deepakvrao

Hi Guys,

You can see from this thread that there is some doubt as to whether the LG50PK550R is 1920*1080 or 1024-768. Anyway we can check?

LG has no specs either in the manual or on the box, but there is a sticker saying Full HD 1080p, however at least 2 websites show the model as non Full HD, while more than 2 show it as full HD.

LG rep say that the 'K' in PK denotes full hd as against a 'J' which would have denoted HD ready.

Need help please.

http://www.hifivision.com/television/10319-potential-lg-50pk550-buyer-group-7.html#post145942

Count the pixels man! Coun 'em pixels!! Start at the top left and proceed horizontally ... get a magnifying glass for ruppes 40 :) :D

Count the pixels man! Coun 'em pixels!! Start at the top left and proceed horizontally ... get a magnifying glass for ruppes 40 :) :D

gobble,

you rock ! :lol:

Deepak please check the manuals or look for the product label where it says full HD... or 1080p any where in the book.

Kittu

connect to pc and check the max resolution it can handle..

if you can connect it to the pc, you can get the EDID information which woudl tell you the native resolution.

another way would be to resize the desktop to 1920 x1080 when connected to the pc. you can then find some checkerboard patterns on the internet whcih would allow you to see if you have full hd. (if it's not.. the screen will appear smeared grey - else, you should be able to discern the black & white dots when you get real close.

to extract edid info--

EnTech Taiwan | Utilities | Monitor Asset Manager

hope this helps

do report back with your findings.

Thanks Kapvin.

Is it not sufficient if I can just set it at 1920*1080? Is not the fact that it accepts that resolution alone proof that its the native resolution?

Will test it tomorrow after the LG guy comes home for installation but I just cannot believe that LG would lie and put a Full HD sticker. Maybe wishful thinking.

Thanks Kapvin.

Is it not sufficient if I can just set it at 1920*1080? Is not the fact that it accepts that resolution alone proof that its the native resolution?

my 3yr old 37" LG is HD ready (1360x768) but accepts 1080i. someone on this forum once told me his hd-ready SOny 32" accepts 1080p24. so, no, it's a necessary but not sufficient condition.

cheers

yes u got that pin right its a vga connector 15pin..
connects and increase resolutuion to 1920 x 1080 ..
if u can see the screen properly.. u are good to go if not then either u will get message for out of resolution or a black/grey screen .
then try 1400x900 or 1280x900 if 1280x900 or slight above it works its a HD ready panel.

however i do not think that LG will have a sticker on 1080p on a non FULL HD tv..
they can get screwed up big time for this.. and can be sued for the same
under the section 420 for forgery.

But no manuals no papers no warranty cards nothing in the box that says its a FULL HD .. Is it a display piece ..... Common something shld be there let the LG guy come and open the stuff ask him to show you ... thats better ...

GOOD LUCK ... reply back tomorrow saying hey :yahoo: its a full hd...

Kittu

Hi Guys,

You can see from this thread that there is some doubt as to whether the LG50PK550R is 1920*1080 or 1024-768. Anyway we can check?

LG has no specs either in the manual or on the box, but there is a sticker saying Full HD 1080p, however at least 2 websites show the model as non Full HD, while more than 2 show it as full HD.

LG rep say that the 'K' in PK denotes full hd as against a 'J' which would have denoted HD ready.

Need help please.

http://www.hifivision.com/television/10319-potential-lg-50pk550-buyer-group-7.html#post145942

Seriously.. If you cannot identify, why bother?? :p

But no manuals no papers no warranty cards nothing in the box that says its a FULL HD .. Is it a display piece ..... Common something shld be there let the LG guy come and open the stuff ask him to show you ... thats better ...

GOOD LUCK ... reply back tomorrow saying hey :yahoo: its a full hd...

Kittu

Nope. They got 5 new boxed pieces. Its a group buy that started on this forum and I just joined in. I saw all the boxes at the shop. There is a manual in each but no specs for the TV. Kind of a general manual for multiple models I think.

Oh.. then the thread title should read "How to identify if a TV is full HD without using a HD source". :rolleyes:

Yup - my bad.

Edit: Cant edit thread titles so this will be the title for posterity, unless the mods do it ;-)

Last edited:
LG 50PK550R is a full HD display.

With 1080p source connected press the OK button on the remote. It shows 1080p 50Hz.

The manual is generic for PJ and PK series. So no mention of full HD in printed manual. CD manual on page 8 says PK5** is 1080.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back