How to identify if a TV is full HD?

Thanks Shaiju, thats quite a relief. Just curious - what would a HD ready TV show if you do the same?

Does 1080p always mean that the native res is 1920*1080? Complete newbie here.

Not sure. Haven't checked on a HD ready TV. Maybe someone with HD ready can confirm.

Whatever it would be, the manual would still say 50/60 PK5** is full HD.

:cheers:

LG 50PK550R is a full HD display.

With 1080p source connected press the OK button on the remote. It shows 1080p 50Hz.

The manual is generic for PJ and PK series. So no mention of full HD in printed manual. CD manual on page 8 says PK5** is 1080.

though actually that's not emperical proof. when I play 1080i on my 37"HD ready LCD, it shows 1080i. but the tv res is 1366x768. I.E it shows the input signal. for Eg when you play tatasky / any dth it would show 576i while each and every pixel on the screen is still being used.

i think the only way you'll for sure is using a resolution test or checking the EDID.

Well, the TV just got installed. The soft copy manual says that the Pk*** is full hd in the section which shows PC connectivity.

I connected my laptop and set the resolution to 1290*1080 and the picture was sharp [like my Benq HD 24" secondary monitor.

It had the Full HD sticker.

I think it probably is full HD and maybe that one website is wrong?

Edit: Cant edit thread titles so this will be the title for posterity, unless the mods do it ;-)

Unfortunately even I cannot rename the thread within the same forum. If I move it to some other forum, it will not make sense.

Cheers

Well, the TV just got installed. The soft copy manual says that the Pk*** is full hd in the section which shows PC connectivity.

I connected my laptop and set the resolution to 1290*1080 and the picture was sharp [like my Benq HD 24" secondary monitor.

It had the Full HD sticker.

I think it probably is full HD and maybe that one website is wrong?

like I said in an earlier post - unlikely that LG will lie. however, sinch you got your laptop connected, why don't you download moninfo from the link i gave you and fully satisfy yourself?

do report back!

cheers

Hmmm, is this thread a generic discussion for all HDTV or just for PK550?

As for the PK550, I can say it is IT IS FULL HD. The website has it wrong (and some guy gets paid to do that ;) ).

Thanks Shaiju, thats quite a relief. Just curious - what would a HD ready TV show if you do the same?

Does 1080p always mean that the native res is 1920*1080? Complete newbie here.
For HD Ready, If T.V can accept 1080P it will show 1080P on the screen when connected through HDMI unless and until you change the settings to 1080i or 720P.

http://www.ordersomewherechaos.com/rosso/articles/2007/test-pattern/16x9 test pattern.gif

Display this image fullscreen on your TV and check if it looks the same as the 100% size image on your laptop. See if you can make out the tiny background dots and the little horizontal and vertical lines.

Plasma users can also use the same image to check how bad phosphor trailing is on their sets. To check for phosphor trailing, zoom the photo to about 150% and pan across the image. You'll start seeing thin, colorful halos in this grayscale image.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back