How to improve FM Reception quality

Hi a simple T type FM antenna works best. Just google it and u will have many detailing the process. But what exactly is ur issue. Is the tuner not able to pick up stations. Or is it a weak signal. If the stations are within 50km ur a simple cable like urs should work. However make urself a T antenna. Use good quality coaxial cable and hang it outside if possible, even indoors it should give u much better reception. For the connector use MX branded ones if u can get them. Hope it helps

You guys can try Avon antenna too. I installed it on my rooftop years back and using with Technics ST-K55. Pulls high quality signals from local to medium ranges, and tracks DX stations with noise from all directions( as it is omnidirectional, for directional DX'ing better go for Yagi antenna)

If you have DIY capability, then may not be good to spend 1+K on an FM antenna, in my case I was running with no time, so bought and installed it directly and started enjoying right away, no hassles :licklips:

:: Welcome To Avon Connectors ::

You guys can try Avon antenna too. I installed it on my rooftop years back and using with Technics ST-K55. Pulls high quality signals from local to medium ranges, and tracks DX stations with noise from all directions( as it is omnidirectional, for directional DX'ing better go for Yagi antenna)

If you have DIY capability, then may not be good to spend 1+K on an FM antenna, in my case I was running with no time, so bought and installed it directly and started enjoying right away, no hassles :licklips:

:: Welcome To Avon Connectors ::

How much it cost ?

It costed me 1.8K I believe 2yrs ago, for the price and availability nowadays please send an email to Mr Kirit Budh of Weltech elect or give him a call. He will pack it and send it to your nearest dealers.

I also bought the LNA module separately to use with a proposed DIY Yagi antenna that I had in mind( still it resting in my drawyer :D ). The LNA costed around 500, you can also buy the DC/RF separator, low current 12v DC adapter every parts separately for your DIY FM antenna needs.

My installation is just on a 2meter pipe drilled on to the parapet of a single storey building. I used pre-installed RG-11, however RG-6 is absolutely fine. Stretch it more upwards and have a clear path towards the transmitter location to gain more results.

The antenna does performs! Here is few installation pics and ad of this antenna

Attachments

• ant1.jpg
    ant1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 192
  • ant2.jpg
    ant2.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 188
  • ant3.jpg
    ant3.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 189
  • FM RADIO ANTENNA - addited.jpg
    FM RADIO ANTENNA - addited.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 189
Thanks a lot for the useful post, will surely try to get the antenna. Can u pl let us know how this antenna was helpful at what distance whether it can pull stereo signals at 100km away etc. Thanks again

Dear Mr. Gautam,

The reception will depend on many factors like your location geography, multipath reception/nullification, height of the antenna mounted, even receiver capabilities etc. This is a broad subject, can't put everythibg here, I suggest you google it for more information.

You can first scan your building terrace using a sensitive FM portable( eg,SONY SW7600GR, DE1103) and find a location where the desired signal strength and signal quality is optimum. There you stretch the antenna and have a stable reception of surrounding signals, or you effectively 'pulling' those signals to your indoor receiver without any signal loss by providing adequate amplification. Hence you don't need to fiddle with your indoor antenna and it's directions and length to receive each signal, additionally you get many signals available on your rooftop those will be normally highly noisy or not at all available at indoor location.This is what simply this antenna will do for you!

The antenna element is just a halfwave dipole oriented for omnidirectional application, if you receive a stereo signal from 100Km away and is still noisier, then try increasing the mounting height. You should see difference. I forgot to mention that this antenna comes with few meters of RG-59 cable that should be acceptable for normal applications, however I suggest to use RG-6 for durability and if you stretch the antenna more upwards. With RG-11 you never need to worry about a signal loss :p

For a guaranteed coverage of a distant station at 100Km away, you may later modify and use a Yagi element with the LNA as I said in previous post. But you may need to rotate the antenna for catching signals coming from other direction, with omnidirectional setup you get clear local signals + marginal reception of distant signals. I was only getting a noisy reception of few local signals at indoors using a wire antenna, now I only needed to switch between the preset FM stations to receive many high quality stereo signals. Stable reception from all directions, No fiddling, no worries!

My installation was not more than 6meter high, and the farthest signal I could detect was from 200kms away(Thiruvananthapuram) from my house located near Cochin. This was highly noisy, only shows it's presence there. Although I was surrounded by trees, there was no heavy obstacles or multistoreyed buildings nearby. So don't immserse the antenna in the middle of a concrete jungle and expect high results.

If you plan to build a Yagi truly DX antenna later, you can order the following parts from the company, refer any website/books to get measurements and constructional notes:

> FM LNA
> DC/RF separator
> 250mA,12V DC adapter(DIY this thing if you can, but don't use noisy SMPS)
> Coax connectors
> 300ohm to 75ohm balun to use with folded dipole(this thing is our vintage television antenna adapter)

Feed the high quality FM tuners the essential thing, raise them above the signal poverty line, and you rock :)

Hope I have given a clear insight of this antenna that will take your Tuner/AVR's FM radio into performance level!

Thank you,
AKR

Yes surely now its clearer and many thanks for the detailed explanation. I had just updated a thread about the PL380 which is receiving 14 stations without the antenna and the NAD or my Onkyo are pulling in a max of 6/7 stations that too with some noise. The PL380 was exceptional, I am lost for words as to how a palm sized radio can be so good in pulling in stations where the hifi ones fail. I am aware that the comparison is not correct but if the IC based deisgn of the PL380 is so good then I wonder why others dont follow it. I tuned SW now and there are 194 stations tuned in the tuning mode most of them listenable that too without an antenna. Its astounding and in this case the receiver makes all the difference.

However listening on the NAD / Onkyo is a different experience as the static is literraly zero and most of the casual listeners think that its a CD. It HiFi end of the day...

I contact Mr. Kirit Budh. The antenna cost Rs.2300+250 shipping. Once I receive, detail the comments.

The antenna performs excellent. Shipping is pathetic. The aluminum tube broken in transit. I have tools and sorted the issue. The antenna package includes few connectors, crocodile clips and cable for required length. Ready to use condition.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back