How to make a 120" screen (16:9) out of polyester foam board?

r_s_dhar

Polyester foam boards are only available in smaller sizes and to make a 120 inch 16:9 screen ((105X59 inch, excluding borders) we have to join these smaller boards. But how? How do we cover the joints? I request all members who have handled these polyester foam boards to help me out with tips. Many thanks in advance.

But why? screen materials are made with a purpose to give better gain.
Thanks for taking time to reply. But you have misunderstood my question -- it is nothing to do with gain. I am talking of size -- how to make 16:9 120" screen out of polyester foam boards which come in smaller sizes than the size of the screen required. Thanks again.

oh ok, sorry, my bad. Fevicol will stick, thats what they usually use for making structures out of it. White fevicol.

oh ok, sorry, my bad. Fevicol will stick, thats what they usually use for making structures out of it. White fevicol.
That was the kind of tip that I was look for. Thanks. But does not the joint made by Fevicol show up when the screen displays bright scenes? Thanks Premblr.

No, if you are joints are razor sharp, it will not show up. You need precise joints and a thin layer of Fevicol. Apply on both sides and clamp the joint some way to set it.

No, if you are joints are razor sharp, it will not show up. You need precise joints and a thin layer of Fevicol. Apply on both sides and clamp the joint some way to set it.
Thanks. I must then look for some workshop as I do not have the DIY expertise or the instruments to do all that. Anyway, a 105"X59" pvc foam screen to me constructed out of 8X4 feet boards would involve quite a few joints, right? Thanks, again, Premblr.

Yes, many joints. You can also look for gypsum board. They come in 6 x 4 feet size. Saint Gobain is a good brand.

Yes, many joints. You can also look for gypsum board. They come in 6 x 4 feet size. Saint Gobain is a good brand.
Gypsum would be heavy and involves quite a bit of work with putty. Any tricks to glue polyester foam boards together at home? I read about black back pvc sheets. Has anyone tried that material?

I have used blackout cloth, stretched over a frame and it functioned as a superb screen for me. Another option is to go for pull down/automated screens which are available at stores/amazon

I have used blackout cloth, stretched over a frame and it functioned as a superb screen for me. Another option is to go for pull down/automated screens which are available at stores/amazon
thanks. Have tried both. Painted wall gives me better blacks and contrast.

thanks. Have tried both. Painted wall gives me better blacks and contrast.
Let us know how you painted walls and tested. As per my experience, matte white pull down screens show better picture than white wall

Let us know how you painted walls and tested. As per my experience, matte white pull down screens show better picture than white wall
I haven't experimented with wall paints as such, but have tried a couple of grey paints from asian paints and dulux -- pearl or soft-sheen, I dont remember exactly now. To my surprise the contrast, colour density and shades were appreciably better that ordinary screens. But then, I have not tried expensive or branded screens. So my observations are very limited and have to be taken with more than a pinch of salt.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back