How to reduce extra Bass?

spirovious

Hi,

I own Tannoy F1 custom spk.
If I put them in open space they sound Best.
But bcos no choice, I have to keep them on shelf where they sound
boomy.

So what are the Tipps to reduce that extra Bass?

If it is a ported speaker, check with the manufacturer if you can close them with a port bung/plug. How far away are they from a wall behind them? If they are in a completely enclosed space (except for front) then there is not too much to be done.

Hi,

I agree with particleman's advice ! please do check according to what he has said !!

What I would like to add here is,If you have tried all other options and have found little success (after trying the above suggestions aswell) ! One trick might just work for you,that is the DIY mod trick !

What you can do is,add some extra damping material to already existing !! you can use polyfill or glasswool based on your choice and availability !! This for sure will eat the additional bass and make it more sober or tight !! This has to be done inside the speakers ! so one you should be ready for removing the drivers and such ! second there's shouldn't be any warrenty issues from dealer !!! so please check for this before proceeding with this method !!

Let me know if you require more info or any additional suggestions regarding this !!

Regards.

Last edited:
Just to get a rough idea- Try placing a pillow near and around the port. I think it should help get rid of of the boomy base. If it works then perhaps you could get something made especially for the same.

Also, home made base traps can be made.

Sumit

Hi,

I agree with particleman's advice ! please do check according to what he has said !!

What I would like to add here is,If you have tried all other options and have found little success (after trying the above suggestions aswell) ! One trick might just work for you,that is the DIY mod trick !

What you can do is,add some extra damping material to already existing !! you can use polyfill or glasswool based on your choice and availability !! This for sure will eat the additional bass and make it more sober or tight !! This has to be done inside the speakers ! so one you should be ready for removing the drivers and such ! second there's shouldn't be any warrenty issues from dealer !!! so please check for this before proceeding with this method !!

Let me know if you require more info or any additional suggestions regarding this !!

Regards.

Thanks to you all.

I may not open spk but try to add damping through bass port.
Spks are placed on shelf with hardly any space,so pillow want do.

But thanks for opinions.

Hey! Spiro the boom is due to external reflections so pl do not try to damp the spk from inside.You might end up damging the spk,so also pl do not insert any thing through the port.
You must ve been supplied a cylindrical sponge to cover the port. Try & do that first. If it still does'nt improve you'll have to try damping the surrounding of the spk as placed.
All the best.
Cheers

Hi,

With all due respect Neo !! what do you mean by damaging speakers by damping :eek:???

Its pretty much clear and evident from Spiro's post that it is due to the room conditions and limited placement options !! also he has very very clearly mentioned that he cannot do much bout it !! hence various solutions are being offered and one happens to be mine !!

If you read clearly I've made it very clear that try all methods and then resort to internal damping !! but even otherwise I being DIY guy myself have done tonnes and tonnes of such mods to various speakers and till date have only managed to improve the sound rather then damage any speakers !! Not to mention have designed and built number of Speakers over the years !! So I know what Am talking bout !!!

I mean forgive me if I sound rude ! but its ridiculous to even think that extra damping will damage the speakers ! if you say it might cause some issues with the sound reproduction or may reduce overall sound quality I may have agreed to certain extent !! but DAMAGE ???? give me a break :p!!

On the other hand I agree with you on the other thing you have said !! Spiro do not try to stuff anything from the port !! it is not atall recommend !! at the most what you can do is just buy some round shaped sponge and just insert into the port (only till the end of it,not more)and see how that works ?? if that does the trick then fine !! else try to dampen the speakers from inside I guarantee it will cut the bass !! if you have any doubt as how to go bout it,just ask I'll explain !!

Regards.

the best option is to move it out further from the walls on to speaker stands . As has been mentioned by others above the walls are what gives a bass boost.

could you give an idea of what your room is like and where the speakers are placed ? as any of the walls or the ceiling can contribute to a bass hump

large-2.jpg

Is this your speaker ? being front ported you definitely can place it near the back walls..

opening the speakers may not damage it but might lose you warranty and definitely spoil chances of a second sale..so even if you have the guts to do it keep is as the last option.

Last edited:
Hi,

Opening the speakers, should be your last option.Though extra damping material should not damage the speakers, while taming the bass boom it could alter the sound at other frequencies.This may not always be for the better .

You mention that you place the speakers on a shelf.Try placing the speakers on cones or spikes to isolate it from the shelf. Placing some heavy object on top of the speakers(if the shelf can take the weight) may also help

If you cannot get hold of foam plugs just stuff the ports with socks and see if it helps and then get yourself some foam plugs.

Another trick is to take few packs of drinking straws and fill up the port with them so they sit tight ! Many small tubes in one big. This will give a slight air-flow resistance in the vented area.You can change the tuning by adjusting the depth of the straws .

Regards
Rajiv

well ..
if you dont want to do anything with speaker ...
one solution may be to add Rc-passive bass reduction circuit...[just 2 or 5 passive components]
this will slightly cut bass from source so finally u can enjoy a clean music... it should be placed as follows

CDP Analogue out >Passive bass reducer>Amp>Speakers

let me know if u choose this technique !!!!

kaushik

Hi,
Thanks for valuable suggestions.

My wall unit is heighted 12inch (30.5cm) & speaker is 30cm.
So very little place left.
I tried trick with port ,closed with spounge and it did reduce the boom.
Now Bass is clean & rich.

Even idea of straw is welcomed,but the above worked.

Thanks.

Hi,

I mean forgive me if I sound rude ! but its ridiculous to even think that extra damping will damage the speakers ! if you say it might cause some issues with the sound reproduction or may reduce overall sound quality I may have agreed to certain extent !! but DAMAGE ???? give me a break :p!!

On the other hand I agree with you on the other thing you have said !! Spiro do not try to stuff anything from the port !! it is not atall recommend !! at the most what you can do is just buy some round shaped sponge and just insert into the port (only till the end of it,not more)and see how that works ?? if that does the trick then fine !! else try to dampen the speakers from inside I guarantee it will cut the bass !! if you have any doubt as how to go bout it,just ask I'll explain !!

Regards.

Yes Sir! This is what i meant as well, sorry for the mis comunication, I am well aware of your expertise, so was'nt trying to contradict your advice.
Cheers

You can reduce the bass from the speakers by using some form of contour circuit like having a capacitor and resistor in parallel and which goes in series with the speaker system. The value of the capacitor will be the cut-off frequency where you want to have the bass reduced and the value of the resistor will be the amount of dB you want to reduce. You can calculate the capacitor with the formula C = 1/(2*PI*fc*z) where PI = (22/7) and fc is the cut-over frequency below which you want the bass to be reduced and Z is the nominal impedance of the speaker. You can try the value of resistor as equal to the impedance of the speaker to start with and with exprementation increase or reduce the value of the resistor by the amount of bass you want to reduce. Please note that the capacitor shoud be Non-Polar type around 250 volts and the resistor should be wire-wound with 10watts to 20 watts power handling.

This will be a typical high-pass filter (6 dB/octave-Butteworth).

Thanks, Hari Iyer.

if u are using a computer based source you can try reducing bass via software equalizer. Also any other nature if sound can be tweawed to suit personal tastes.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back