How to set speaker levels on AVR ?

Well if you feel that sound was good without Audyssey then go for Manual settings ...Nothing wrong in that.(For Manual settings u may require a SPL meter to do it for best settings ,In case if the manual settings which u have said was good to hear then leave it as it is,finally your are the one going to enjoy it).

Audyssey is good ,but some times it may give improper result because of many reasons. It may give best result if u place the speakers at the appropriate locations recommended for surround setups spec and the room has good acoustics . Audyssey also have +ve & -ve.
Still if u prefer to use Audyssey ,try the below..
  • Place the Audyssey Mic at Ear level ,(Take measurements for Only for ur seating position -Middle ,Right & center couch position ,skip the rest of the locations.)
  • Keep Dynamic .EQ on and Dynamic Volume in OFF.
  • Check the results of each speakers ..If audyssey make the speakers as Large -set it to small.
  • The crossover settings for all speakers shall be 80hz - U can toggle it and keep the best.
  • The subwoofer -LFE settings shall be kept to 120 Hz.
From the photo ,U r center channel can be raised little bit higher ,or else slightly tilt it above so that it will match your earlevel.
Also try sub crawl for optimum placment of subwoofer.
Best of luck.

Thanks for such a detailed response. Manual settings are good, however I am facing the issue that if I want to hear the dialogues clearly I need to raise the volume and at that volumes, the effect sounds are becoming too loud. I have calibrated to 75db using SPL meter and kept the center channel 1.5 dbs higher.
I was doing the Audyssey calibration as you instructed itself. Only I was using all the positions.

I will try to tilt the center channel as instructed by everyone.

When I am turning on Audyssey, the sound quality is lacking dynamics and effects. With Audyssey off, during certain scenes, the sound is getting too loud and I am afraid it may damage the speakers.
Don't worry.Speakers can handle upto certain loudness in the movies.AVR also will not output huge power wattage.Since speakers are designed in that way keeping in mind of movie playback,they won't damage s long as volume is not too loud.
Other factors like speaker wires, Interconnects and room does affect overall sound quality.Speaker position and placement also matters a lot.Looking at pictures,center speaker is ahead of fronts and may it fail to produce exact sound field which is there in the recording.

Don't worry.Speakers can handle upto certain loudness in the movies.AVR also will not output huge power wattage.Since speakers are designed in that way keeping in mind of movie playback,they won't damage s long as volume is not too loud.
Other factors like speaker wires, Interconnects and room does affect overall sound quality.Speaker position and placement also matters a lot.Looking at pictures,center speaker is ahead of fronts and may it fail to produce exact sound field which is there in the recording.

Ok... but how much is "too loud volume"? I typically keep it at 68-70 level (not db).

I have turned them off for now.

That's Good. How does it sound? You could try the various Audyssey presets.

Unfortunately no. The future plan is to wall mount the tv and place the center channel on the tv unit.

I have kept the distance as recommended by some videos I had seen on YouTube (Audioholics). Also, I don't want the display glass to be hidden.

I did this. It's a bit better now, but it still feels like all the gunshots etc are being muffled. Should I just turn off Audyssey and manually calibrate?

Used The Dark Knight 4k bluray for reference. The initial scene of bank robbery.

1. Yes, TV on the wall is a good idea. The speaker on the TV unit is fine as long as the TV unit does not resonate or vibrate. You could consider some kind of isolation. Plastic table or stool is way too light to hold that speaker stable.

2. Youtube videos are like the Ideal Fuel efficiency figures spat out by auto magazines. They are good to pick ideas from and then tweak them to suit your setup and your room. They cannot be implemented as is. As said, Glass is kind of an enemy for sound. End of the day it's your priority.

3. Switch off Dynamic Volume.

4. That's a good scene.

Ok... but how much is "too loud volume"? I typically keep it at 68-70 level (not db).
It's loud when your ears are hurting. As long as you keep the levels set by Audyssey, your speakers and amp are fine. Switch to dB levels, which most of the members can relate to.

MaSh

Does avr show volume as '70'? Usually if volume starts from '-80' ,then vol '0' is the last & safe loud limit(avr upper limit may be +12-18) Usually l do not go above vol ' -15' Also you can set upper volume limit .

That's Good. How does it sound? You could try the various Audyssey presets.

It was sounding exactly with Audyssey off. I tried all the presets. For now I have turned off Audyssey.

1. Yes, TV on the wall is a good idea. The speaker on the TV unit is fine as long as the TV unit does not resonate or vibrate. You could consider some kind of isolation. Plastic table or stool is way too light to hold that speaker stable.

Will be doing this soo.

2. Youtube videos are like the Ideal Fuel efficiency figures spat out by auto magazines. They are good to pick ideas from and then tweak them to suit your setup and your room. They cannot be implemented as is. As said, Glass is kind of an enemy for sound. End of the day it's your priority.

3. Switch off Dynamic Volume.

4. That's a good scene.

It's loud when your ears are hurting. As long as you keep the levels set by Audyssey, your speakers and amp are fine. Switch to dB levels, which most of the members can relate to.

Is there any way to switch to DB levels?

MaSh
[/QUOTE]

Does avr show volume as '70'? Usually if volume starts from '-80' ,then vol '0' is the last & safe loud limit(avr upper limit may be +12-18) Usually l do not go above vol ' -15' Also you can set upper volume limit .

Yes, the AVR (Denon X1400H) shows the volume level as 70. I am not sure how to take it -80.

Hi..you'd go to the receiver's test tone choice and turn it on. Audyssey prepared recipients ordinarily consequently set the ace volume to reference after you conjure the test tone. Others such as Yamaha for illustration require you to physically set the ace volume to 0db (reference). Note that unless you've a generally costly master review SPL meter then you shouldn't anticipate to urge exceptionally exact perusing when managing with the lower frequenies yield by means of a subwoofer.

Back