How to stream Flac from Mac?

ISO

I have Yamaha AV receiver that can play Flac files from USB.

Using VLC player and HDMI cable I can play FLAC from Mac to AV receiver but I think VLC convert Flac to PCM on the fly.

How can I send Flac files to AV receiver wirelessly? AV receiver has wireless networking capability.

The best option will be to run an UPnP/DLNA server on the Mac. ReadyMedia/minidlna (brew install minidlna) and minimserver are two options. Btw, in case you are using Kodi on Mac, then Kodi also has a built-in UPnP server that can be enabled.

The best option will be to run an UPnP/DLNA server on the Mac. ReadyMedia/minidlna (brew install minidlna) and minimserver are two options. Btw, in case you are using Kodi on Mac, then Kodi also has a built-in UPnP server that can be enabled.

Thank You so much for the precise advice. Hifivision rocks.

After running server, do I see files (flac) of the mac in Yamaha music cast app on the iPhone? There is 'server' option in the music cast app.

Or

Which mode of the AVR I should select to play files?

The "PC" input option of Yamaha AVR can be used to activate UPnP/DLNA player mode. I am not sure whether it changed with recent models. In case, there is no "PC" input mode then tell me your exact model name.
The Yamaha AV Controller iPhone app can also be used to select "PC" input and browse media content from UPnP/DLNA sources. I am not sure of MusicCast App.

The "PC" input option of Yamaha AVR can be used to activate UPnP/DLNA player mode. I am not sure whether it changed with recent models. In case, there is no "PC" input mode then tell me your exact model name.
The Yamaha AV Controller iPhone app can also be used to select "PC" input and browse media content from UPnP/DLNA sources. I am not sure of MusicCast App.

Edit: Is there any setting of Minim server configuration? from the same mac I can do airplay to this receiver.

Thanks for the quick reply.

HT: Yamaha RX V 683

MinimServer is installed and running on my mac. Can select the location of flac files but all flack files are greyed out.

Also 'PC input mode' is not seen on yamaha AV controller app.

Last edited:
For RX-V683 the input source is called "SERVER". From Remote press NET button multiple times to select "SERVER" as input. You should see MinimServer on Mac now listed on the TV as well as the display on RX-V683

For RX-V683 the input source is called "SERVER". From Remote press NET button multiple times to select "SERVER" as input. You should see MinimServer on Mac now listed on the TV as well as the display on RX-V683

Minim watch and minim server both are running on mac and I can see them in the menu tab bar of the mac.

But unfortunately by pressing 'Net' button repeatedly to bring 'Server' on the display, Message say 'No content'

minim server is not seen.

Sounds like firewall on Mac is blocking the minimserver on network
See if the following steps to allow MinimServer through Firewall on Mac helps
1) Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy
2) On the General tab, make sure that "Allow apps downloaded from" is set to either "Mac App Store and identified developers" or "Anywhere"
3) On the Firewall tab, click "Click the lock to make changes"
4) Click "Firewall Options" and make sure that "Block all incoming connections" and "Enable stealth mode" are unchecked and "Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections" is checked
5) In the list of applications, it should be OK if MinimServer is not listed or is listed with "Allow incoming connections". If it is listed with "Block incoming connections", change this to "Allow incoming connections".

There could be SMB issues with Mac. But if you have Kodi, you can avoid that.

I stream from my mac mini to Denon through Audirvana +. It is an excellent player and comes with iOS app to control playback.

There could be SMB issues with Mac. But if you have Kodi, you can avoid that.

I stream from my mac mini to Denon through Audirvana +. It is an excellent player and comes with iOS app to control playback.

Thanks I will try Kodi

Great. File is sent or read as is when you use dlna. My guess, flac is compressed pcm.

While you are enjoying the sound of music, I suggest you try Audirvana as well.

Happy listening.

Update: I also found serviio is very good dlna server which worked on mac without doing any setting. It also detected my AVR automatically.

It is under trial of fifteen days. Hope after that it will serve me in crippled free mode.

I streamed DSD and Flac without any problem and without shuttering.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back