How to take care of Speakers

mbhangui

I have recently acquired Cadence Arista speaker. The speakers have an electrostatic unit at the top and one speaker without any protective grill as shown below

At the moment I am worried that dust may affect the performance as time goes on. At the moment I cover the unit with a cloth when I am not listening to them.

1. Any extra care to be taken for the electrostatic unit?
2. Dust (especially the ones of Indian Nationality) always manages to find its way to each and every corner :mad: . How does one clean the cone? Does anyone use a hand blower?

arista.jpg

Last edited:
@mbhangui-sorry for ot but how much does these arista beauties cost?!

They cost 1.85 L a pair. Much lower than manufacturers abroad

Check this link - a thread started on the same topic on theaudiophile.net :

Tips on Care for Cadence ES Panel Speakers & Owners Experience

Thanks Santosh. Got few tip from hifiashook too (e.g. using a soft brush to wipe away dust).

In the eventuality of dust getting in, will cleaning the unit with isopropyl alcohol cause any damage :p . For all you know maybe the electrostatic unit may love alcohol :cheers: once in a while

I think IPA could have unknown consequences. Amba should be able to give the correct advice.

I am thinking of investing in a powerful blower. It can also do double duty of blowing off the accumulated dust in the innards of amps, CD players, computer, etc.

Answering in general terms, I would never use anything wet on any kind of speaker. IPA's advantage is in removing grease, it is not necessary for removal of dust.

Dust should be easy to remove from most surfaces, by blowing, sucking or dusting, as appropriate, but dust plus moisture equals mud. :eek:

I had a close look at the Aristas at hifiashok's place yesterday. IMO, a brief blast from a hair dryer should be sufficient to take-off the accumulated dust between the two metal surfaces, whatever little gets collected there. Rest, surface dust can be brushed off using a soft nylon brush.

When not in use, the electrostatic portion can be covered by a cloth piece.

DUST can be extremely troublesome. They can atomically bind with the surface and refuse dislodge with blowing. I am familiar with this dust problem because once in a while I have to clean the sensor in my Nikon D200 DSLR. The only way to remove dust (which get atomically welded) is to use what is called "WET Method" where one has to use lint free swipes wetted with a some solution (i think it is IPA). However, these electrostatic speaker units may be a totally different animal than the glass filter that sits on top of the camera sensor and may get damaged by IPA.

I will ask Mr Amba on what they employ for cleaning such units.

This is what I found on the Martin Logan site
"How do I vacuum my MartinLogan speakers?
Vacuuming will be most effective if the speakers have been unplugged for six hours to twelve hours (i.e. overnight). You need not worry about the vacuum pressure damaging the "delicate" membrane. It is extraordinarily durable. Dirt and dust may be vacuumed off with a brush attachment connected to your vacuum cleaner, or you may blow them off with compressed air. When vacuuming or blowing off your panels do so to both sides, but focus the majority of your attention on the front of the panels."

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back