How to use laptop as a music player/streamer?

I have an old laptop lying around which I want to repurpose as a cloud music player (one I can control from other devices like Spotify connect). How do I go about achieving this?

I have a Marantz PM6007 integrated amp which already has a DAC built-in, but does not have a USB input. So how do I connect my laptop to this DAC in the cheapest way? Is there any USB to optical converter kind of thing that's available?

Additional query: If I buy the cheapest possible DAC with an optical out, couldn't I connect it to my amp and use the DAC of the amp and bypass the external DAC sound? I'm really not looking forward to spending 10-15 grand if a DAC is the only option.

Last edited:
You can put linux and install few applications to make it a streamer. But it is rare to get a USB dac with optical out. But you will easily get DAC (even low priced that you are looking for) with analog audio out. You can connect the analog audio out to any of your AMP's analog input.

here is one such dac

EDIT: I did find one. The behringer UCA222 dac

See also this

Here is a good quality one that supports DSD too. The optical out can be connected to your amp

Last edited:
I use a Topping D10 to get Optical output form my PC.

I bought from a fellow FM, pre-owned.
Works perfectly.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back