Howz Nokia 5800 XM

musicmypassion

I am planning to buy nokia 5800 XM. Does anybody have any experience in using it. Did quite a lot of research and it looks the mobile does have both good and bad opinions. So, would like to know from our forum if anybody has used it or if yes, please share your experience.

The price for this particular model has been slashed to almost 13.5 K from 21 K when it was launched initially. It seems Nokia has decided to cut down a few accessories which they used to provide earlier with the box. They are not supplying the AV cable, additional stylus pen, pouch, and stand with 5800these days. However, when I checked the Nokia site for other countries (US and UAE), it is evident that the cell phone comes with the full package in those areas? So why the partiality Nokia? We indian's dont want the additional accessories?

I had one for about 2 days before returning it.

The touchscreen is too shabby, I will have to click around twice-thrice before the application opened. May be the phone itself is slow or touch screen isn't responding as I intend it to.

Also if you're new to touchscreen you may want to try it for few days before buying it, I was annoyed for a while before getting hand on sending texts and browsing the internet. I did quite like the clicking on button and bringing up the media functionalities. However as I said above it was pretty unresponsive to me. The headphone's supplied with them are in-ear one's and pretty okay considering the price. On a plus side it does have Wi-Fi and 3G so it could be a proper mobile internet device and it support flash.

Also if you have any friends/relatives elsewhere in Globe you could try and source it as I've seen this get this as low as 12K INR will all the accessories. Equally I "heard" Nokia offer International warranty.

Thanks for the link but I went through the site previously. I wanted to know if any of our forum members own it, if yes would like to know their experience.

I am happy with Nokia 5800. Infact I bought it last April for 19K.
I have paired it with wireless stereo bluetooth , Sony's DS200 model .
Going fine with me.

According to me, 13.5K is a good deal. go for it.

Still, check for Nokia 5230 and compare it with 5800 . Heard 5230 is close to 8K with features almost simlar to 5800.

Going fine with me.

Still, check for Nokia 5230 and compare it with 5800 . Heard 5230 is close to 8K with features almost simlar to 5800.

Albeit it lacks 3G & A-GPS and screen size smaller than 5800.

Hi,

My room mate uses this phone for the last 4 months.

The Pros:

1. Music quality is good.
2. Screen resolution and clarity of screen is good.
3. Almost all smart phone features including 3g and WiFi.
4. Availability of 3rd party applications.

The Cons:

1. Camera quality is very very poor.
2. Phone is really slow.
3. Touch response is poor.

Dont buy the phone if you want a good camera, Otherways it is good. You can also consider the options from Samsung, they are good for Camera and Music. But the problem will be with other features.

I had one for about 2 days before returning it.

The touchscreen is too shabby, I will have to click around twice-thrice before the application opened. May be the phone itself is slow or touch screen isn't responding as I intend it to.

Also if you're new to touchscreen you may want to try it for few days before buying it, I was annoyed for a while before getting hand on sending texts and browsing the internet. I did quite like the clicking on button and bringing up the media functionalities. However as I said above it was pretty unresponsive to me.

I have read a lot of feedback as yours in net. That is the reason why I wanted to know the opinion from my most trusted forum. Yes, I am new to touch screen, right now I am using N series non-touch. The features this mobile offer are excellent for its price. Now I am :confused: :eek:hyeah:

Thumbs down from my side, Musicismypassion.

Sure it looks good as a package as it s reasonably priced for its features. But overall it just doesnt translate into a good phone.
I used it for a while and scrapped plans to get one.
1. Sound quality isnt all that great.
2. Touch interface is quite poor.
3. Camera is 3.2mp af like the n73 but is quite poor!
4. It is Slow.

As I said, I felt the only pros were that it has quite a lot of features for the price and the juicy big screen.
5230 is available for 8k, had checked it yday at a store, but I wouldnt buy an s60 touch from Nokia till they get their act right, probably in a year.
Have you checked the Samsung Jet?
And what are your priorities in choosing a phone?

Going fine with me.

I hope you got it full pack of accessories. Right now, they have reduced the price as well as cut down the accessories. However in other counties it is available with full accessories with almost similar price. I will definitely have a look at other XM sets as well.

Hi,

My room mate uses this phone for the last 4 months.

The Pros:

1. Music quality is good.
2. Screen resolution and clarity of screen is good.
3. Almost all smart phone features including 3g and WiFi.
4. Availability of 3rd party applications.

The Cons:

1. Camera quality is very very poor.
2. Phone is really slow.
3. Touch response is poor.

Dont buy the phone if you want a good camera, Otherways it is good. You can also consider the options from Samsung, they are good for Camera and Music. But the problem will be with other features.

thanks Nizar... The cons section seems to be worth worrying except for the camera part. I rarely use my mobile for clicking snaps. Slowness and unresponsive touch pad will be troublesome for me I guess. :eek:

5230 is available for 8k, had checked it yday at a store, but I wouldnt buy an s60 touch from Nokia till they get their act right, probably in a year.
Have you checked the Samsung Jet?
And what are your priorities in choosing a phone?

Okay iaudio. No, I did not check the Jet, but have looked at Corby Pro (latest).
By basic requirements are as follows:
Brand - Nokia, Samsung, LG
Budget - The damage can be of 15K (as I don't want to feel bad after buying a phone worth 17 or 18K and later when it comes down to 12 or 13K)
Connectivity - Wifi and 3G
Camera - Not that important (3.2 will do)

Any suggestions???

two very important features which come in 5800XM in the budget range which i feel are unbeatable.. i may be wrong as this was 4 months ago, now there may be other launces with similar features..

1) Wifi + 3G
2) TV component out

with a combo of these two factors with the right application you can use 5800XM as wireless streaming client with your HTPC..

i own the 5800XM and find no flaws..
in a budget of 13.5k dont expect high end hardware + RAM..

even if you find better configuration in the LG/Samsung sets they are just java based and dont give you much flexibility to utilize that

android based sets are here but still are about 17k and above and anroid as platform still needs some maturity (about 6months - 1yr) to get stable and effective in the market

two very important features which come in 5800XM in the budget range which i feel are unbeatable.. i may be wrong as this was 4 months ago, now there may be other launces with similar features..

1) Wifi + 3G
2) TV component out

Right now, they are not providing the TV out cables along with the set. Howver, we can still use the TV Out facility in this mobile.

Yes, I know I cannot expect a hifi set within this price range, however would want to go for a decent one than later regretting about the purchase. :)

I am planning to buy nokia 5800 XM. Does anybody have any experience in using it. Did quite a lot of research and it looks the mobile does have both good and bad opinions. So, would like to know from our forum if anybody has used it or if yes, please share your experience.

I picked up this phone as a possible replacement for my iPod, but the SQ is nowhere near the iPod. It cant drive the creative EP630s loud enough and my Etymotic ER6is are just wasted because of the sound. The music player also isn't that great.

Problems with the touch screen display remain, however, kinetic scrolling implemented in the latest firmware 40.0.000.5 (sheesh!) is a big relief.

My old Sony Ericcson W810i sounded way better than this. My advice is to go for a Sony Walkman Phone rather than Nokia 5800.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back