HT connections...noobs question

suprateep

hey guys i am planning to get MS906/908 in the next few weeks but what i understand musically the Onkyo 606 that i have does not do too well. Anyway I can invest in a stereo amp going forward - maybe a Cambridge 640 at the end of this year.

Now i want to understand how would i connect the speakers, my AVR and the stereo amp. The onkyo 606 does not have preouts. I do not wish to change the speaker connections every time i switch from stereo to surround i.e. music and video. Any way can i connect the zone 2 line analog outs to a stereo amo and then drive my front speakers. How will be connection like/

I wish those Yamaha morons had not increased the prices in jan-feb for a month - i would have gone for the 863 for 62-65k but i was quoted 79k for the same in feb/march 1st week.

Last edited:
Now i want to understand how would i connect the speakers, my AVR and the stereo amp. The onkyo 606 does not have preouts. I do not wish to change the speaker connections every time i switch from stereo to surround i.e. music and video. Any way can i connect the zone 2 line analog outs to a stereo amo and then drive my front speakers. How will be connection like/

Though there are various ways of doing this, the safest is a speaker switch box. This will have two set of speakers inputs on one side, and a single speaker output pair on the other. You will connect the AVR and two channel amp outputs to the inputs side. You will connect the output pair to the speakers. You will then use the switch to select the input you want.

I wish those Yamaha morons had not increased the prices in jan-feb for a month - i would have gone for the 863 for 62-65k but i was quoted 79k for the same in feb/march 1st week.

As far as I am aware, Yamaha is yet maintaining the prices till March 31st. Check with your dealer again. But why do you want one more AVR? You already have the 606, right? If you want to optimise music, a two channel amp is a better option.

Cheers

Though there are various ways of doing this, the safest is a speaker switch box. This will have two set of speakers inputs on one side, and a single speaker output pair on the other. You will connect the AVR and two channel amp outputs to the inputs side. You will connect the output pair to the speakers. You will then use the switch to select the input you want.

As far as I am aware, Yamaha is yet maintaining the prices till March 31st. Check with your dealer again. But why do you want one more AVR? You already have the 606, right? If you want to optimise music, a two channel amp is a better option.

Cheers

Thanks mate.

I just said i would have gone for the Yamaha 863 over the Onkyo 606 if it was priced around 60k. When i decided to buy (believe me i decided amongst the denon 1909, Onkyo 606, Yamaha 663/863 within a space of 1 week and hellva lot of auditions) - suddenly the Yamaha guys told me that they have increased the prices. And Vijay Sales (distributor for Yamaha in pune) could not source anything over the 363 and the 463.......so VFM Onkyo 606....am glad i did.

Now where do i get a speaker switch box? any particular manufacturer?

Now where do i get a speaker switch box? any particular manufacturer?

You will have to get one made my a local manufacturer. Should not cost you more than a few thousands. If you have problems in Pune, let me know and maybe I can get one fabricated in Chennai.

Cheers.

DNM address
DNM PACE: Mr.Dilip N Bajaj
#230-D Ansa Industrial Estate,
Saki Vihar Road,Mumbai-400072.
Tel:28474799
Mobile :9820064528.

anyway I can see you have zone 2- i beleive it is like Speakers A & B - am i right?
or zone 2 is seprate amp?
If it is like speakers A & B you can connect your speakers to zone 2- activate zone 2 from remote

Let me see i I can get it's manual

anyway I can see you have zone 2- i beleive it is like Speakers A & B - am i right? or zone 2 is seprate amp? If it is like speakers A & B you can connect your speakers to zone 2- activate zone 2 from remote

Supra's requirements are just the other way around.

In Zone 2, you use the same physical amplifier (or AVR) to power a second set of speakers in another room. Supra wants to power the same two speakers with two physically independent amplifiers.

Cheers

Supra's requirements are just the other way around.

In Zone 2, you use the same physical amplifier (or AVR) to power a second set of speakers in another room. Supra wants to power the same two speakers with two physically independent amplifiers.

Cheers

Even with a speaker splitter, wouldnt Suprateep have to disconnect the common source he uses from the avr and connect it to the stereo amp?
Or do you take some kinda pre out from the avr and give it to the stereo amp?:eek:
sorry for the noob question!

venkat sir you are telling me this can be made - and does not affect the sound quality (much), right? SO i can have peace of mind with my onkyo and the 2 channel stereo amp that comes later. I was pretty down with the choice of an amp with no preout

Even with a speaker splitter, wouldnt Suprateep have to disconnect the common source he uses from the avr and connect it to the stereo amp?
Or do you take some kinda pre out from the avr and give it to the stereo amp?:eek:

No need to disconnect main source ,only to switch them off.

No need to disconnect main source ,only to switch them off.

What I meant is, assuming I ve got a dvd player as the common source( connected to surround amp-avr and speakers for movies and also to play music via stereo amp and 2 speakers) how would i connect the dvd player to both the surround amp and stereo amp at the same time? :eek: ( I am just dumb, aint I?)

What I meant is, assuming I ve got a dvd player as the common source( connected to surround amp-avr and speakers for movies and also to play music via stereo amp and 2 speakers) how would i connect the dvd player to both the surround amp and stereo amp at the same time? :eek: ( I am just dumb, aint I?)

DVDp as source-
1.DVDp >digital out(cox or opt) >AVR dig in
2.DVDp >ana stereo output > St.Amp
3.DVDp >any one of dig out >ext DAC >St.amp
(one connected to AVR)

venkat sir you are telling me this can be made - and does not affect the sound quality (much), right? SO i can have peace of mind with my onkyo and the 2 channel stereo amp that comes later. I was pretty down with the choice of an amp with no preout

There is nothing in the switch box to affect the sound quality. There are a set of 8 cables coming in, being switched and 4 wires going out. Look at the following figure. Imagine the same without all the electronics, and power connections. Just add a switch between the 8 in cables and the 4 out cables. It is an extremely simple device.

http://www.smarthome.com/images/9725780side1big.gif

Cheers

Last edited:
venkat sir,
once as i wanted and thinked about to connect a same speakers for both AVR and stereo amp as like suprateep is asking now to connect as same, whether it is poosible to connect both the AVR and stereo amp simultaniously to Same speakers. one(AVR) by spades and other(stereo) by screwing it in the banana plugs bare speaker wires insert. can this cuase any problem or damage to the AVR, Stereo amp or speakers and if it causes the damage, what will be the damage to AVR, stereo amp and speakers. sir, can you please clarify it for me and for our forum members.​

venkat sir, once as i wanted and thinked about to connect a same speakers for both AVR and stereo amp as like suprateep is asking now to connect as same, whether it is poosible to connect both the AVR and stereo amp simultaniously to Same speakers. one(AVR) by spades and other(stereo) by screwing it in the banana plugs bare speaker wires insert. can this cuase any problem or damage to the AVR, Stereo amp or speakers and if it causes the damage, what will be the damage to AVR, stereo amp and speakers. sir, can you please clarify it for me and for our forum members.

Do NOT connect two amps to the same speakers directly. It really does not matter whether you use spades or banana plugs or anything. If you connect two amps to the same set of connectors on a speakers, the feedback from one amp could well short circuit and burn your other amp. If, by mistake, you keep both amps on, you could create a massive short circuit that could burn you speakers or any of the units in the chain.

A speaker switch like the one I suggested isolates the two connections so that there is no feedback whatsoever.

Cheers

venkat sir where can i get this made.......i have checked some sites in the us - they have cheap solutions like 20USD but are huge. Can something small and handy like a small digicam size be made available......can this be done like you said. how much will it cost if i get one fabricated.

absolutely......sheer laziness might lead to a great economic loss.......could have in my case so need a similar solution.........only if the 606 had pre outs.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back