HT MC Phono Stage AD797

More builds :)
J4gcPzf.jpg

Regards
Sachin

Is that a new batch of Hypno boards?

Om's PSU board looks different. New version?

Yes it's a new layout. It has all the recommended changes like 12x 10 if el caps in place of 8x100uf, .1uf poly caps in place of Ceramic, no 33 nf caps etc.
Power supply layout is also improved once. There is no 0/15 output in this.

Regards
Sachin

Here is my AD797 phono by sachu666 and Blues shunt regulated PSU by doors888. It has been a very long journey finishing this, a happy one nonetheless. So I decided to buy these components on the advice of Joshua who led me down this road and I am thankful to him. My prior experience with DIY was a big fat zero when I started this. I think I might have googled to see what AC current and DC current were. :)The components for both the kits arrived soon after and I armed myself with a multimeter, soldering iron, flux and solder wire. I also bought a few screwdrivers and whatever oddities and other stuff I could lay my hands on partly also because it didn't burn a hole in my wallet not even remotely so. I felt quite the MAN, probably the machismo winning an arm wrestling competition or a fist fight feels like. Just to give you a few laughs at my expense, let me recount in no particular order the comedy involved.
1. I watched endless YouTube videos to tell me what a capacitor, resistor, transformer etc were and the job they did in a circuit, how a multimeter works. As informative these videos are, a lot of them in hindi begin with the words "hello friends, aaj hum apko" so on and so forth.
2. I wanted to test the r core transformer that I had ordered from Hyderabad and see if it was giving out the promised AC voltage output of 15 volts. I put my multimeter to the transformer but I didn't know the damn thing needed to be connected to power and had to have current flowing through it. When it didn't show the required output, I was convinced the transformer had broken down in transit and was quite disappointed to later finding out that I had to power it up and thankfully it was fine.
3. The soldering job done by me was "blobs" for most part but i think I got better towards the end. I had a very strong fear that I had ruined the pcb tracks but it turned out ok at the end.
3. I put one of the transistors in reverse polarity , facing the other way round and the power supply refused to work. Vikas tried to find what was wrong and we finally realized the offending culprits and saved the day. Also at one point when I thought the power supply wasn't working he said I had never been able to power it on and should do "xyz"20181014_132119.jpgto let current pass through it.
4. Sachin had to hold coaching classes to show me what cat5 cable was, what a 3 core xlr plugs looked like, what is hook up wire. To add to my woes, I soldered wrongly when connecting the wire to the rca plugs and mixed up my positive and negative connections. Big thanks to him for sending me a separate courier with a few nuts and bolts and cables etc as I couldn't get them here in Dharamshala where I live. He refused to let me pay for this and I didn't put up too much of a protest.
My turntable is a PTP Solid 12 with a Thomas Schick tonearm and an Ortofon mkii Cartridge and I do not have too much experience with other phonostages or components so i will not be able to make comparisons etc..but I am very happy with the sound.
But it is such a thrill and an achievement to be able to finally put it all together and have a working diy phonostage and power supply. My intent to narrate this story is to tell newbies (like myself) that you can attempt this and be rewarded with learning a bit along the way and have a class component in your chain. As daunting as it can seem with no background in taking on something like this, i would say dive into it. I wish you guys the best should you also attempt and undertake a diy project and don't be too surprised if you see a video with me saying "hello friends, aaj hum aapko".

Attachments

• 20181014_131904.jpg
    20181014_131904.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20181014_132028.jpg
    20181014_132028.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 56
  • 20181014_132159.jpg
    20181014_132159.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20181014_195651.jpg
    20181014_195651.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20181014_195742.jpg
    20181014_195742.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 45
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back