HT: Where to buy in Chennai !!!

I checked with the Mordaunt Short dealers in bangalore and chennai, their disc% is only 10% but cressida is giving 25%, will they have this much margin or can it be a demo piece. When i checked with them i was told, it would be brand new only.

Please tell me if anything i need to check with them. Also, let me know which one i should go for. Wharfedale or MRShort. I like the sound quality of both, so looking at other aspects.

Find out if any one of the dealers is willing to give a home demo (wharfedale & Mordaunt short). I think u have to consider the acoustics of your room also before making the purchase. Take several demos before you make up your mind.

Did u try Polk? what was your opinion?

Arvind

Find out if any one of the dealers is willing to give a home demo (wharfedale & Mordaunt short). I think u have to consider the acoustics of your room also before making the purchase. Take several demos before you make up your mind.

Did u try Polk? what was your opinion?

Arvind

My HT will be kept in a living room without any acoustics.

Grand cinema said he cannot do a home demo. He said he cant even do home delivery of the stuff even if i buy from him and i need to pick it up. I havent' checked with cressida yet on the home demo part.

Checked out the Polk speakers at ProFx, tried both t300 and t400, did not sound great to me. Maybe they did not drive it with a proper receiver during demo, i did not get a good feel. I believe you also had the same experience and then you got a Tsi 400 later. Should i try again for Polk. In fact i heard Polk perform earlier and i liked it very much but it performed miserably in the demo.

I have done first round of demos' so far at
Onkyo, Yamaha Square, ProFx, Grand Cinema, Cressida, Audio People, Sony, Reliance, Panasonic.

I liked Wharefdale, Mordaunt and Monitor. Will finalise between Wharfe and Mord. Monitor is very good, but very pricey as well.

Now the challenege is, which dealer is good. My lack of product knowledge should not take me for a ride. Hence i am putting post after post here. and I am getting good response and guidance as well. :clapping:

Did u check paradigm , PSB and monitor audio ?

Which series have you tried so far ?

What prices you were offered ?

List out in detail so you can get more help :)

Onkyo, Yamaha Square, ProFx, Grand Cinema, Cressida, Audio People, Sony, Reliance, Panasonic.

. :clapping:

Cressida gave me a home demo for the amp..and pro fx gives home demos...

Grand cinema said he cannot do a home demo. He said he cant even do home delivery of the stuff even if i buy from him and i need to pick it up. I havent' checked with cressida yet on the home demo part.

Checked out the Polk speakers at ProFx, tried both t300 and t400, did not sound great to me. Maybe they did not drive it with a proper receiver during demo, i did not get a good feel. I believe you also had the same experience and then you got a Tsi 400 later. Should i try again for Polk. In fact i heard Polk perform earlier and i liked it very much but it performed miserably in the demo.

I liked Wharefdale, Mordaunt and Monitor. Will finalise between Wharfe and Mord. Monitor is very good, but very pricey as well.

Now the challenege is, which dealer is good. My lack of product knowledge should not take me for a ride. Hence i am putting post after post here. and I am getting good response and guidance as well. :clapping:

You got me wrong on the acoustics part. I didn't mean acoustic treatment. I meant you have to check how each speaker sounds in your environment.
Compare the tech specs of each speaker too. You can find them in the respective websites or from their brochures (if you have collected them from the dealers).

I would suggest you take a second look at polk - u shd specifically ask them to connect a more powerful amp to the towers - otherwise they won't perform at their peak.

And like Asterix suggested, I too got a home demo of Polk. In fact, I got the home demo, speakers installed & only then parted with the balance money money (until then i had just paid them a token advance of Rs. 10k). How's that for a deal!!!

Arvind

The prices for the larger benefit of all.

1. Wharfdale:
9.5 Front, 9CS Center, 10 DFS Rear, Sw150 sub - After discount RS 65000
9.6 Front, 9CM Center, 10DFS Rear, SW150 Sub - After discount Rs 77500
Asterix also patched me with another dealer who quotes After discount 70000 for (9.6 Front, 9CS Center, 9DFS Rear, SW150 Sub). Thanks Asterix.

2. Mordaunt Short - Aviano Series
Avaiano 6 - Front, 5 - Center, 1 - Rear, 7 Sub - Rs 102000 after disc Rs 78000

3. Polk - Tsi 400 Front, CS 10 Center, TSi 100 Rear, PSW 125 Sub - Rs 68000 after disc Rs 58000

4. Monitor Mx6 series - Rs 78000. Disc they said can try 7-8% max. This was really good as well.

I have laid down choices as per my wishlist. Apart from sound quality, is it possible for anyone to say which is good in terms of longevity, stability and reliability. I will not be changing the HT atleast for the next 7 years or so :)

Did u check paradigm , PSB and monitor audio ?
What prices you were offered ?
The models shown in Paradigm were way beyond my budget, hence did not do an audition. As it was pricey did not check for the model numbers as well. Which brand is PSB and where is it in chennai? Demo'd monitor audio too.

Cressida gave me a home demo for the amp..and pro fx gives home demos...
I will check with them again Ganesh, will push them for a home demo this weekend. Cressida is following up regularly, i can get them to give a home demo.

Compare the tech specs of each speaker too. You can find them in the respective websites or from their brochures (if you have collected them from the dealers).

I would suggest you take a second look at polk - u shd specifically ask them to connect a more powerful amp to the towers - otherwise they won't perform at their peak.

And like Asterix suggested, I too got a home demo of Polk. In fact, I got the home demo, speakers installed & only then parted with the balance money money (until then i had just paid them a token advance of Rs. 10k). How's that for a deal!!!

i am preparing the specs in an excel sheet for comparison. will put it here tomorrow. I will again visit profx this weekend and will ask them for a home demo as well. Sweet deal you got from them.
Guess, i need to negotiate hard with the profx team then.

Last edited:
Soundbar ...

Even I am looking for wharfedale spk for my denon 791 in chennai , planning to go to grand cinema soon . Can u tell me who is the other dealer of wharf in chennai? Did u go to Reliance digital? Is it worth going there?

Even I am looking for wharfedale spk for my denon 791 in chennai , planning to go to grand cinema soon . Can u tell me who is the other dealer of wharf in chennai? Did u go to Reliance digital? Is it worth going there?

Grand cinema is good, that guy is very accomodative when it comes to demos. The other dealer is not in chennai. GC is the official dealer in chennai and i think he is the only one here.

Reliance digital is not worth the visit, the sales team is not even aware of the basic spec of what they are selling.

Hi,Try once with SONODYNE speakers.the Package is around 62,000/-.You can Audition at VIPUL AUDIO TECH,Kilpauk,Mr.Praveen Contact No:9941476667,He deals in Yamaha And Denon Avr's also.

cheers

babloo

PSB is from NAD....should be available for demo at Decibel

I visited Decibel today and auditioned PSB book shelf and QA speakers, was not very much impressed with the sound quality. The guy who gave me the demo said the denon receiver is 2311 and it was quite dull. Later they realised the receiver was denon 1311.

I have asked them to give me a demo with 1911 or 2311 this weekend or next.

Edit: @babloo, will visit him this weekend and share my comments.

Stereo Amp and Speakers

during the extensive demo, i also had the choice of listening to pure audio music speakers and i am just thinking if i should go for a mid range HT and buy some good speakers + stereo amp.

I liked the MS Aviano 2 and Marantz 5003 stereo, it was heavenly and we liked it very much, the price comes to about 36000.

Can you please suggest me good speakers + stereo amp in the budget of about Rs 50000. The room size would be 12x12.

Re: Stereo Amp and Speakers

during the extensive demo, i also had the choice of listening to pure audio music speakers and i am just thinking if i should go for a mid range HT and buy some good speakers + stereo amp.

I liked the MS Aviano 2 and Marantz 5003 stereo, it was heavenly and we liked it very much, the price comes to about 36000.

Can you please suggest me good speakers + stereo amp in the budget of about Rs 50000. The room size would be 12x12.

Well if you liked the combo somuch why not buy it and save the remaining to purchase a marantz cd player ... :rolleyes:

Soundbar ...

Hi,

Pro-Music also stocks Wharfedale at Chennai, check out their website.

http://www.promusicals.com/contactus.html

N.Murali

Last edited:
Well if you liked the combo somuch why not buy it and save the remaining to purchase a marantz cd player ... :rolleyes:

yes, i like the combo. The reason i am asking is, if thats good combo and any other equivalent combo exists in different brands/make. :cool:

Hi,
Pro-Music also stocks Wharfedale at Chennai, check out their website.

I am not able to see in their site, its' not getting loaded properly for me in my browser or its not there.

Have u finalised ur speakers , We have increased our budget and looking between these spks ..

1. Wharfedale 9.5 package
2.Polk 400 package
3.Jamo c405 package.

Also want to know if wharfedale package can be altered with polk subwoofer . (cheaper than wharf woofer ).

Have u finalised ur speakers , We have increased our budget and looking between these spks ..

1. Wharfedale 9.5 package
2.Polk 400 package
3.Jamo c405 package.

Also want to know if wharfedale package can be altered with polk subwoofer . (cheaper than wharf woofer ).

Can you give the costing as well, in your list.

Not yet, still finalizing. But my preferred list is
1. Mordaunt short Aviano series
2. Wharfedale 9.6/9.5 package
3. Polk 400 - I need to revisit for an audition again.

You should be able to match with the correct impedence. But i am noob and let the experts put in their views. Provide specific model numbers what you want to change with.

Can you give the costing as well, in your list.

Not yet, still finalizing. But my preferred list is
1. Mordaunt short Aviano series
2. Wharfedale 9.6/9.5 package
3. Polk 400 - I need to revisit for an audition again.

You should be able to match with the correct impedence. But i am noob and let the experts put in their views. Provide specific model numbers what you want to change with.

About cost .. haven't bargained , been offered 10% discount .Could'nt get the demo for wharf as there is no electricity at that time.Listened to polk (profx )& jamo (e zone with sherwood receiver ) , couldn't make out much . Planning to go for wharf demo this week and will finalise if we like it.

I saw ur wharf pricing , Is it possible to bargain a little more or was it final? I am not a big bargainer .

About woofer ... can polk sw110 be matched with wharf 9.5 series package?

Polk woofer .

PSW 110
200 W, 10 Front Firing Downward Ported Type

Frequency : 32Hz to 250Hz
CrossOver Frequency : 60Hz to 160Hz
Inputs : Speaker Level and Line Level
Dimensions (HxWxD) : 368x362x432mm
Rs.13,000/unit

Hi,

Where can i get the audition for Polk PSW 110 in chennai?
Rs 13,000/= is the best Price or can we bargain? I am looking for a sub woofer within this range.
How good it is compared with wharfedale SW 150?

Thanks

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back