HTIB / AVR suggestion for Music / Movies / Games

rockxdude

Hello Friends,

My brother is coming from USA on November 15th. I know he is coming before the best cyber sale :( Still I think I can get a better deal compared to India.

Can someone recommend a good HTIB /AV Receiver? Mainly for Music and Movies and then games.
If the shipping weight is too much then I will get only AVR and purchase a good speaker set from India locally.

Budget < $500

And I guess this step down transformer should work best?

Any other suggestion?

Thank you

You can make a killing by getting avr from the USA. But it would not be worth your brother's effort to lug something costing USD 500 down to India all the way. I've done the exact same thing a few years back. So stretch your budget to atleast USD 1000. That way you will get a quality component that you will be happy with. After lots of compromised purchases, I've lately realised the benefits of saving, and buying once and not giving in to the urge of buying what we can immediately afford.

Not to disappoint your enthusiasm. I can understand how excited you are at the prospect of getting a avr, but we've all been there, and made the same mistakes. So beg, borrow, steal but increase your budget to 1000 atleast.

Sorry if I sounded rude rockxdude..just wanted you to buy once and be happy. Below are the recommended AVR's are different price points . So can read their online reviews and decide for yourselves. My personal recommendations are in brackets . All the best for your purchase.

Usd 500/-

1. Denon avr-x2300w ( my choice at the 500 mark)

2. Onkyo tx-rz610

3. Sony str-dn 1080

Usd 550/-

1. Yamaha aventage rx-670 ( for 50 dollars more, this is a big leap up from all the above AVR's )

2. Onkyo tx-rz810

Usd 1000/-

1. Marantz sr6011 ( This is the only one in this list with 9 channel of amplification. All others here are only 7 channels. I cannot recommend this enough. This beats everything else here for sound quality. The reason I urged you to stretch to the 1000 mark for to buy this. For reference, I bought this is in India for 1.21 lakhs. You make a killing of a saving at 1000 dollars for the same )

2. Sony str-za1100es ( another stellar Sony here. If you are content with 7 channels of amplification, you can go for this. The Sony ES series, is their flagship series. And for very good reason. It's 2 channel performance with music is stellar. And beats many 2ch stereo Amps of the same price )

3. Onkyo tx-rz720.

Hope this helps. And enjoy the hunt :)

You can make a killing by getting avr from the USA. But it would not be worth your brother's effort to lug something costing USD 500 down to India all the way. I've done the exact same thing a few years back. So stretch your budget to atleast USD 1000. That way you will get a quality component that you will be happy with. After lots of compromised purchases, I've lately realised the benefits of saving, and buying once and not giving in to the urge of buying what we can immediately afford.

Not to disappoint your enthusiasm. I can understand how excited you are at the prospect of getting a avr, but we've all been there, and made the same mistakes. So beg, borrow, steal but increase your budget to 1000 atleast.

Thanks for info, I will check them.
I can actually spend that much but my brother will argue for spending that much and might not get one. Ofcourse I will pay but but he is a big bro and I cannot fight with him. :p

One more ques, can I use it with my EVGA GTX 1080 using with HDMI cable? Or should I get a Sound card?
I am totally new into this and I have no idea what to do.

Currently using 5-6 year old F&D 5.1 which cost 4500 INR :D

Last edited:
Thanks for info, I will check them.
I can actually spend that much but my brother will argue for spending that much and might not get one. Ofcourse I will pay but but he is a big bro and I cannot fight with him. :p

One more ques, can I use it with my EVGA GTX 1080 using with HDMI cable? Or should I get a Sound card?
I am totally new into this and I have no idea what to do.

Currently using 5-6 year old F&D 5.1 which cost 4500 INR :D

There is no need for a soundcard, the graphics card if connected with HDMI cable to the AVR will take care of the audio. Nvidia HD Audio driver takes care of this and outputs the audio in the format specified by the game/application.

Haha... rockxdude...I can understand your position. I was in the same boat 4 weeks back, trying to get my dad to buy me a Yamaha wxc-50 from Amazon India. I couldn't buy online as I was out of cell phone network, and trying to convince him to place a order was one hell of a herculean task. They probably rightly want to do the right thing and prevent us from spending too much.

By the way if you go for any of those AVR's you will also have to budget for proper stereo speakers. Which if you can't stretch at the moment, then better to look for htib . But it will be too bulky to bring in baggage from USA. So may be better to go for the Yamaha RXA-670. And spend the remaining on a 5.1 speaker package .

How big is your listening room. There is good 5.1 kit to be had at all budgets . Once we all know your room size, then everyone can suggest some good packages . All the best...

Hi rockxdude....

If you are indeed going to get that avr from USA. Below is the option for speakers. Nothing at Thier price point even touches then for sound quality, if you are looking for a 5.1 setup.

IAM listing down the components you need to buy in the sequence of priority. You can buy each one as per funds in the sequence given below from Amazon India.

1. Pioneer SP-FS 52 - 45300/- per pair on Amazon

2. Pioneer SW- 8MK2 - 16771/- on Amazon

3. Pioneer SP-C22 - 9149/- on Amazon

4. Pioneer SP-BS22 - 15000/- per pair.

Their sound quality will stun you. All the best... :)

Haha... rockxdude...I can understand your position. I was in the same boat 4 weeks back, trying to get my dad to buy me a Yamaha wxc-50 from Amazon India. I couldn't buy online as I was out of cell phone network, and trying to convince him to place a order was one hell of a herculean task. They probably rightly want to do the right thing and prevent us from spending too much.

By the way if you go for any of those AVR's you will also have to budget for proper stereo speakers. Which if you can't stretch at the moment, then better to look for htib . But it will be too bulky to bring in baggage from USA. So may be better to go for the Yamaha RXA-670. And spend the remaining on a 5.1 speaker package .

How big is your listening room. There is good 5.1 kit to be had at all budgets . Once we all know your room size, then everyone can suggest some good packages . All the best...

Yes elders know better investment and always says to avoid any unnecessary expense. My brother always argue whenever I want to purchase any luxury items. :lol:

Yes I forget I also need to get a speaker package so I think at the moment I will go with less amount AVR or lets see which one I finalize.

I am also thinking of getting a Dell 34" Ultra wide monitor if there is a good sale and if I get that then one of the baggage need to be replaced with this monitor. If not then I can get the speaker from USA and get the subwoofer from India. As subwoofer is bulky and better one will not fit in baggage.

At the moment I am on 10x10 room and in few months I will switch to 11x12 room.

For a 11x12 ft room, I would buy the wharfdale SE 5.1 system for 45000. And sit back and enjoy. Don't bother about the above mentioned Pioneer's. They will over power the room with bass and you will end up with booming bass.

This is an addiction I would say which will bring upon many things on to us.(Parents, wife, neighbors.....)
Married people will understand this very well

For a 11x12 ft room, I would buy the wharfdale SE 5.1 system for 45000. And sit back and enjoy. Don't bother about the above mentioned Pioneer's. They will over power the room with bass and you will end up with booming bass.

So your suggestion is getting a good AVR and then wharfdale SE 5.1 speaker package should be sufficient for my need?
Also I tried google wharfedale SI 5.1 in India and can not see any online who is selling this, neither it is in amazon.com
Can you also recommend any speaker package without sub woofer please?
If there is a space I will ask my brother to get it from USA.

This is an addiction I would say which will bring upon many things on to us.(Parents, wife, neighbors.....)
Married people will understand this very well

I know, in fact even the bass produced by my current F&D is too much that my last home owner used to complain a lot to lower down the volume. :eek:hyeah:
And yeah sometimes my mother as well.
I am still single at the moment :)

I had meant the wharfdale DX-1SE. You will find it for 46400 on hifimart. This is all the speaker you will need and much more. It comes as a pack with subwoofer. Sub woofers are really big and heavy. Your brother will cancel his trip to India if you ask him to bring back one :D

Check out its review on the internet . It is the next version of the much acclaimed wharfdale HCP-1. It looks good too. Anything bigger than this for a 5.1 setup in your room is a overkill. I actually feel that even this will over power your room.

I had meant the wharfdale DX-1SE. You will find it for 46400 on hifimart. This is all the speaker you will need and much more. It comes as a pack with subwoofer. Sub woofers are really big and heavy. Your brother will cancel his trip to India if you ask him to bring back one :D

Check out its review on the internet . It is the next version of the much acclaimed wharfdale HCP-1. It looks good too. Anything bigger than this for a 5.1 setup in your room is a overkill. I actually feel that even this will over power your room.

Thanks I will check them out :)

Hi rockxdude...

The pioneer LX101 is their entry level avr from their high end elite line of receivers for 2016. Saw their specs and it has everything to keep it future proof for now. No issues there. It has all the features that are there in rival AVR's around that price, so don't see any reason why you can't go for it. That is all the specs can tell.

How they sound is something I sadly can't comment on as I've never heard them. But they should have the usual pioneer sound signature which is slightly forward and punchy with very good clarity. So all in all , I don't see any negatives here if your brother feels it is on a good deal.

But apart from a good deal, the better performing AVR's at this price range are the Sony str dn1070 and Yamaha aventage rxa 660. These both are also the 2016 models, and should be available around 100 and 200 dollars respectively more than the pioneer. If you brother can find a good deal on these then he can try to bring these . Otherwise that pioneer is also Okay, no issues there.

Hi rockxdude...

The pioneer LX101 is their entry level avr from their high end elite line of receivers for 2016. Saw their specs and it has everything to keep it future proof for now. No issues there. It has all the features that are there in rival AVR's around that price, so don't see any reason why you can't go for it. That is all the specs can tell.

How they sound is something I sadly can't comment on as I've never heard them. But they should have the usual pioneer sound signature which is slightly forward and punchy with very good clarity. So all in all , I don't see any negatives here if your brother feels it is on a good deal.

But apart from a good deal, the better performing AVR's at this price range are the Sony str dn1070 and Yamaha aventage rxa 660. These both are also the 2016 models, and should be available around 100 and 200 dollars respectively more than the pioneer. If you brother can find a good deal on these then he can try to bring these . Otherwise that pioneer is also Okay, no issues there.

Thanks for the info. I still have around 2.5 months to finalize a AVR and I will keep looking.
Looks like lot of better deal will come in future.
Bad is that he is coming in second week in November and the best deals will be available on 24th november :(

Can you tell me what I should be looking to make it future proof please?

I cannot disturb you again and again for deal I see :)

When I will finalize I will confirm :)

Thank You

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back