HTPC/TV Tuner card

toaster09

Hi Guys,

i'm looking to setup a HTPC/light gaming rig, below would be the components, do let me know if you see any issues or have better suggestions

1) Asrock Z87M Pro4 32GB DDR3 Intel Motherboard
2) i3 4130
3) 3 TB HDD WD Green
4) Corsair VS 550
5) Adata XPG V1.0 4GB 1600
6) Samsung 840 Evo Series 120GB SSD
7) Graphics Card - I have a gtx 770 on my main rig that I will move later this year for an upgrade
8) will transfer my i5 4670k when the time comes for upgrade

my big question is on the TV tuner card (AverMedia AVER 3D CAPTURE HD TV Tuner Card - AverMedia: Flipkart.com),

The connection would be tata sky HD -> TV tuner input -> HTPC (XBMC -PVR -> Live TV) - TV over HDMI

I was wondering whether live TV it would work first of all and whether there would be any issues? Has anyone of you done it?

I'm really surprised I haven't heard on the tv tuner part? Has anyone tried this?

I doubt whether the TV tuner card will work with Tatasky or any other satellite provider as the signals are encrypted and the set top box with the smart card can only decode the signals.

You've haven't understood me correctly, the connection would be the set top box hdmi out connected to the TV tuner IN on the PC, the PC HDMI would connected to the TV, that is the ideal way to try doing a TV capture but what I want is just to view channels via XBMC/PVR with this setup

Ok but why would you want that unless you are hell bent in using XBMC to view TV. (if we assume it even would work) Your display what ever you must be using(, TV projector via AVR, or directly) must be having HDMI, you just directly connect Tata Sky STB in to display .... just switch the source (AVR or what ever you have) to STB from PC (XBMC) when ever you want to view TV. Why would you want to invest in a TV tuner card .......???

You've haven't understood me correctly, the connection would be the set top box hdmi out connected to the TV tuner IN on the PC, the PC HDMI would connected to the TV, that is the ideal way to try doing a TV capture but what I want is just to view channels via XBMC/PVR with this setup

Do you have these kind of TV tuner cards which accepts HDMI out of set top box and gives you HDMI out to the TV. But I think I have seen HDMI capture cards which normally people use to record the TV but it strictly not called as TV tuner cards.

@Mani

AverMedia AVER 3D CAPTURE HD TV Tuner Card - AverMedia: Flipkart.com

@Sam

I dont have an AVR, hopefully with the xbmc/PVR, I could just use one interface and screen, I can switch between xbmc list of movies and live tv directly, do you think it would work?

Thanks for the link, but it seems too costly for the purpose of recording if you intend to do along side more energy consumption as your set top box also should be always powered on which in fact consumes the most around 200w I suppose. As Sam suggested routing it all your sources thru an AVR actually serves all the purposes and also a good investment in the long run considering that the TV tuner card itself costs around 10k.

@Sam

I dont have an AVR, hopefully with the xbmc/PVR, I could just use one interface and screen, I can switch between xbmc list of movies and live tv directly, do you think it would work?

Frankly I dont want to burst the bubbles, but it aint worth it ..... Just switch the source, (if you dont have an AVR then get an HDMI switcher like THIS all you need to do is switch the source, (via the button or remote) the display will flick and you will switch from your XBMC PC to your STB on screen and vice versa. :)

....and BTW the switch really works good, I personally am using it ..... (thought I have the manual one)

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back