Humaneness has taken a walk..

senseless killings
2 very apt words sir

It is possible to be a non veg and yet be humane ( the thread topic )
&
it is possible to be a pure veg and yet be inhumane in so many things...

We need to consider the fact that us humans have "evolved" from hunter gatherer and foraging beginnings in which case the diet would have been a mix of both - Omnivore...

Bhook lagi - shikaar kiya - jo mila - kha liya !!

at that point in time... the menu in the restaurant would not have had a veg / non veg divide i suppose.

2 very apt words sir

&

We need to consider the fact that us humans have "evolved" from hunter gatherer and foraging beginnings in which case the diet would have been a mix of both - Omnivore...

at that point in time... the menu in the restaurant would not have had a veg / non veg divide i suppose.

Exactly my point sir.. those were different times and hence decisions made basis the situation. Now that we have alternatives in today's world, it makes sense to change accordingly, hat all I am saying..

And what makes you think that those reading the publication cannot/don’t think for themselves? And why should it being run an ex-editor of Indian Express and funded by all those respectable names mean any less than your subjective opinion of it? You didn’t substantiate your opinion with any credible data or logic.

I expressed my opinion just as you did. It was directed at people who don't think for themselves and get swayed by names..I am sure you are not one of them so obviously not directed at you unless....

2 very apt words sir

&

I think it’s about the volition. Killing for food is prakriti, conserving endangered species is sanskriti and killing for fun/game is vikruti.

I expressed my opinion just as you did. It was directed at people who don't think for themselves and get swayed by names..I am sure you are not one of them so obviously not directed at you unless....
I didn’t. I only offered the counter to your opinioning. I have no reason to believe people can’t think for themselves.

I think it’s about the volition. Killing for food is prakriti, conserving endangered species is sanskriti and killing for fun/game is vikruti.

If someone eats an animal knowingly that he is eating it for taste and not because he cannot get anything else to cater for his hunger, its certainly not prakriti. A lion doesnt eat a giraffe just because it is tastier than a deer.

If someone eats an animal knowingly that he is eating it for taste and not because he cannot get anything else to cater for his hunger, its certainly not prakriti. A lion doesnt eat a giraffe just because it is tastier than a deer.
And what about someone knowingly eating a particular vegetable for taste? Would you term it prakriti and if so, why?

Disclosure: I am a veg by choice, but not for ethical reasons. However I don’t promote any particular diet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lion does not always get the deer on its menu so it has to eat giraffe. :)

One thing as a nonveggie I was always asked and I always found it amusing is that why I eat animals when I can just live on veg food. My answer to them always was that they should also stop drinking milk as milk is meant for calves and not humans. Humans just steal the milk from the calf's mouth and almost all milkmen kill male calves so that all the milk goes to humans.

Now I call this "male infanticide" leading to a skewed male-female ratio in the animal kingdom.:) And I have to find a veggie who has ever raised a voice against male infanticide and stealing milk meant for animals. :)

I do not have second thought about the love of south indians (not only kerala) about Elephants and we treat them as our family members...
Ah, elephants... They have always been an intriguing magnificence. From the tender age where one would hope to score a strand of hair from its swatting tail (for that coveted ring of mysterious powers!) to the first time you gingerly walked under its belly gasping at the sheer enormity, to the time you got your first chance to ride one and finding it ever so disappointingly uncomfortable, to the times you get to bath and feed and play with them freely, to get chased down and mud wrestle a spirited calf... lots of fond memories with elephants from childhood. The cinemas kept the fascination alive somehow, from Haathi Mere Saathi to Guruvayur Kesavan to Gajakesariyogam to Kumki to Onk-Bak to Leela.. too many to list!
PS: I know, weird flex on a tangent. Apologies. Please carry on.

Folks, am sure you are all keeping it in control here but on topics like these, we can keep arguing forever and either party will not change their view because beliefs are too strong and all of us have our own view on what is right !

I am sure you will continue to keep it civil and within limits as you have been doing so far

I remember the philosophy of eating which stuck to me as being sensible
If you eat for satisfying hunger - it does not matter if its veg/meat as long as it is within societal norms​
whatever you eat beyond it and for the sake of eating and waste- no matter what you eat is criminal​

Not sure if Taste should be ignored since it like asking us to listen to not so great music ;)

My point is that non vegetarianism promotes killing of animals. Lets see how many non veg eating people will be able to kill an animal by their own hands even if they are hungry and have nothing to eat, infact leave alone killing, many may not be able to see the sight. once one starts to kill and gets comfortable to the blood gushing out, what difference does it make whatever animal it is or even a human being. Blood is blood. Anything that promotes killing of animals should not be promoted. Its not about promotion of vegetarianism, its just nonpromotion of animal killing.

:)

whats that ??
Cannibalism !!!!

My point is that non vegetarianism promotes killing of animals. Lets see how many non veg eating people will be able to kill an animal by their own hands even if they are hungry and have nothing to eat, infact leave alone killing, many may not be able to see the sight. once one starts to kill and gets comfortable to the blood gushing out, what difference does it make whatever animal it is or even a human being. Blood is blood. Anything that promotes killing of animals should not be promoted. Its not about promotion of vegetarianism, its just non promotion of animal killing.
Ignoring the sentimental part which is shaped by our childhood and society among others and is of course very personal and important, surprisingly the scientific difference between Hemoglobin and Chlorophyll is Iron in one and magnesium in the other. Else its almost exactly the same structurally . This is perhaps because one consumes oxygen to give our Co2 vs Vice Versa for the other :)

There are lots of differences and commonalities between all living things ie plants and animals and lots of philosophies/facts/perceptions which shape our individual practices .
But again, each is free to practice their option, the problems start when some consider themselves higher than the other and starts to evangelise that belief on others

Last edited:
Blood is blood.
And all blood is not the color of blood as we know it.
Like @arj pointed out - it's perceptions that shape our beliefs and by extension our choices and what we eat. Dig deeper and one will be amazed at how much similarity is there among all creatures at a molecular/cellular level. It is very interesting, fascinating and for some, it changes the way they think, act and eat. For other's like me it doesn't affect us for long - I would eat anything just as long as I like the taste. Yes, I also like the taste of meat. If someone doesn't like that - too bad. For that someone! :)

My point was if anyone had to choose between killing a dog or a plant if they could save only one, who would they choose? Even an avid gardener would not kill a dog and would kill a plant if needed..

Plants usually grow back their stems and leaves when eaten but I don't think a lamb/chicken/goat/cow grows back a leg or any other body part ..

Killing trees is a sin but not eating it's leaves and fruits per our ancestors...

Back