Hybrid SACD Vs regular CD

M

mpw

Hi

I had a query..

I see mainly 3 types of CD''s available on music websites like elusive disc

a. Hybrid SACD which has a Redbook CD layer so this can be played on normal CDP - price about USD 30 each

b. Normal CD - price about USD 15 maybe..

c. Blue Spec CD - compatible with CD players - this is Japanese spec - Japanese site - about USD 15

My CD Player is a normal CD Player and reads ONLY CD-R

Philips CD 960

Will i hear more or better recording is i buy a Hybrid SACD and play it on my CDP OR there is no point buying HYbrid SACD but stick to normal CD's ??

please comment

regards

mpw, the problem with the SACD was not the format ( which is excellent) but the content being in many cases just upsampled content from the CD master. Thats where the problem was

Japanese pressing was good but the master quality was inconsistent, Prem is a very good source of info for all this.

When i did buy CDs, I always stuck to US/UK pressings except for some SHM pressings.

Arj

Will my CD player read a hybrid CD better or will it be the same as normal CD ?

in which case till I move to a good sacd player... There is no point paying additional premium for hybrid sacd

Have you tried ?

Regards
Mpw

I doubt if it would read a Hyb SACD any better as in the end you are only reading the PCM/ 44.1 layer, so it not different from any other cd unless you put it into an SACD player.
Do you plan to get an SACD player ? not sure how long these are going to last as the format has not really taken off.

No plans for a sacd player arj

But I note the high end Marantz CD players are quite good and they play SACD too..

I have some traffic coming to Mumbai from overseas so I was thinking about CD titles and which one the above to go for

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back