I POD with Yamaha RXV 361

jaudere

Hello friends,

I have purposely started a thread here and not in the" portable gadgets section". I want to use my Yamaha RXV 361 purely as an Amplifier. for that I want to connect an Ipod to the "front speakers" in of multichannel input through stereo to RCA cable.

why multi channel: that way, bass-treble become non functional. so i think it is the purest"direct mode". Why Ipod: if i use apple lossless, I pod would be the best gadget to work as DAC i guess.

so my questions are
1) is I pod that good from the view point of a DAC for lossless format?
2) can I pod be damaged by the current flowing back from amp to i pod if i connect it in the way i have mentioned? RXV 361 has a separate input in front
for portable players. shall i use that? is it more safe?

and why all this? i feel very bored to change CDs. so if i can store all my songs on a good device in lossless fromat:confused:, that should solve my problem.I do not want to go for WD TV(don't want to have another remote and i don't keep my LCD on all the time. so while accessing the data through WD TV, i think i will have to put on the Screen which i don't want)

Please correct my concepts if i am wrong.

someone told me that connecting Ipod through I pod dock that has RCA out is a better option. is it true?

:confused:,

Last edited:
Is Lossless playback on Ipod ,through headphone out or thr Dock is as good as average CD Player?

i have the same avr as u have ,

- Use the portable socket with a good cable
set the input mode to V-AUX and click the "enhancer" button to display 'Straight'...so all DSP stuff are disabled

you may have to increase volume to 13db

i use this setting for laptop playback

- get an ipod remote for convinience
- ipod with lossless audio is ok ,as a portable device
it cant reach the PC playback with dedicated card like
Xonar or audiophile CD player
- excellent (as portable) ipod output achievable by doing capacitor replacement and some tweaking ,but u have to be good in DIY with smd components ... search for imod in headfi forums

i have the same avr as u have ,

- Use the portable socket with a good cable
set the input mode to V-AUX and click the "enhancer" button to display 'Straight'...so all DSP stuff are disabled

you may have to increase volume to 13db

i use this setting for laptop playback

- get an ipod remote for convinience
- ipod with lossless audio is ok ,as a portable device
it cant reach the PC playback with dedicated card like
Xonar or audiophile CD player
- excellent (as portable) ipod output achievable by doing capacitor replacement and some tweaking ,but u have to be good in DIY with smd components ... search for imod in headfi forums

seems like i have to drop the idea. may be WDTV is my only hope:mad:

few clarifications...

Hello friends,

I want to use my Yamaha RXV 361 purely as an Amplifier.

It is not meant for the usage you have in mind even if you connect external components and enable pure-direct mode.

for that I want to connect an Ipod to the "front speakers" in of multichannel input through stereo to RCA cable.

I am not sure i understand here. Are you saying you will connect via 2 channel auxiliary input jacks?

why multi channel: that way, bass-treble become non functional. so i think it is the purest"direct mode". Why Ipod: if i use apple lossless,

so my questions are
1) is I pod that good from the view point of a DAC for lossless format?I pod would be the best gadget to work as DAC i guess.

Unless its the earliest versions, ipod has one of the industry worst DACs.

2) can I pod be damaged by the current flowing back from amp to i pod if i connect it in the way i have mentioned? RXV 361 has a separate input in front
for portable players. shall i use that? is it more safe?

You can connect the ipod to any analogue input (2 channel) using an RCA. No other inputs should be tested with.

and why all this? i feel very bored to change CDs.

without a remote and an ipod doc you are still facing the issue of changing songs back/forth.

so if i can store all my songs on a good device in lossless fromat:confused:, that should solve my problem.I do not want to go for WD TV(don't want to have another remote and i don't keep my LCD on all the time. so while accessing the data through WD TV, i think i will have to put on the Screen which i don't want)

Please correct my concepts if i am wrong.

someone told me that connecting Ipod through I pod dock that has RCA out is a better option. is it true?

:confused:,

My suggestion is to get an amp with USB input or a DVD player with USB input and play songs off of that. YOu will not be able to play anything other than wma or mp3 fro the most part but thats the way to go instead of a HTPC. Otherwise, store it on your PC and get a decent pair of power speakers from m-audio or audioengine and you are good to go.

seems like i have to drop the idea. may be WDTV is my only hope:mad:

WDTV for audio?
u mean SPDIF out to yamaha avr... internal DAC of yamaha
is ok ,as it is a entry level Avr will not reach near the audiophile DAC.

WDTV 6.5k +5k(for HDD) =11.5k
only good incase you are looking for movie playback
and have a large screen TV

just if you only need HiQ audio source .. setup a pc (if u already have a desktop)
with Asus xonar (9k),get a PC remote for 600Rs ...and that will do magic!

Last edited:
There are dedicated ipod docks avaliable from 5K onwards which lets you take the pre out route from your ipod and in this manner if you have lossless music stored on your Ipod then its quite close to a budget CD player performance, most of the docks comes with a remote control which lets you control your ipod without leaving your seat or you may need to buy a one 4 all universal remote to control your all AV gear. Ipod Docks like Arcam and Onkyo are award winners in their respective catagories. I myself use a setup like this so I can assure you about the quality of the sound as compared with the output from the headphone jack which would result in more of distortion and less of pure music performance.
PS: Do change the analoge interconnectors with a reputed one to achive the best performance.

There are dedicated ipod docks avaliable from 5K onwards which lets you take the pre out route from your ipod and in this manner if you have lossless music stored on your Ipod then its quite close to a budget CD player performance, most of the docks comes with a remote control which lets you control your ipod without leaving your seat or you may need to buy a one 4 all universal remote to control your all AV gear. Ipod Docks like Arcam and Onkyo are award winners in their respective catagories. I myself use a setup like this so I can assure you about the quality of the sound as compared with the output from the headphone jack which would result in more of distortion and less of pure music performance.
PS: Do change the analoge interconnectors with a reputed one to achive the best performance.

A simple question:
Using Ipod Dock needs a TV? Because i did read some where that the dock needs to be connected to the TV so that you can use the display of the ipod (pause, stop, play, foward, next song or whatever) to play the songs?
If that is the case, then the TV should also be in ON mode, which i think is again not possible to have it all the time.
I understand the dock can be connected to any of the powered speakers and the remote of the dock can be used to navigate the menus/functions of the ipod. (But for playing videos through dock, one anyway needs the TV which is understood). Correct me if iam wrong?
Onkyo's DS-A2X is available for 7k, right? Can you tell me which model of Onkyo, Arcam you are using and from where did you get the same? Iam looking to buy a dock for my ipod 4G, because changing CD's (atleast) at this time may not work for me.

@ jaudere: Just a question i raised. Not to take as hijacking the thread.

A simple question:
Using Ipod Dock needs a TV? Because i did read some where that the dock needs to be connected to the TV so that you can use the display of the ipod (pause, stop, play, foward, next song or whatever) to play the songs?
If that is the case, then the TV should also be in ON mode, which i think is again not possible to have it all the time.
I understand the dock can be connected to any of the powered speakers and the remote of the dock can be used to navigate the menus/functions of the ipod. (But for playing videos through dock, one anyway needs the TV which is understood). Correct me if iam wrong?
Onkyo's DS-A2X is available for 7k, right? Can you tell me which model of Onkyo, Arcam you are using and from where did you get the same? Iam looking to buy a dock for my ipod 4G, because changing CD's (atleast) at this time may not work for me.

@ jaudere: Just a question i raised. Not to take as hijacking the thread.

I have an Onkyo dock the model is as you have mentioned, now this dock has two options:
1. You can use it with your monitor or screen in on mode which would be suitable when you are sitting far from the system and you are not able to read the screen of your Ipod.
2. Now the second option is that you play and control the list through your Ipod screen and in this case you don't have to turn on the TV screen.

So my friend its quite simple and the option rests in your hands and in both ways its controlable through the Ipod remote, which gives full access to ipod functions.
I bought it from Onkyo India itself when there was some promotion going on thorught my credit card company so I just had to pay 2.5K for it.

I am not sure i understand here. Are you saying you will connect via 2 channel auxiliary input jacks?

>> I got the double inverted comas wrong. I should have written: i want to connect I pod to the "front speaker in" of the multichannel input sockets. when the input is "multichannel in", the bass and treble is automatically disabled. so probably it is the purest direct mode where the AVR is working just as a simple amplifier.

i hope i make some sense now.

WDTV for audio?
u mean SPDIF out to yamaha avr... internal DAC of yamaha
is ok ,as it is a entry level Avr will not reach near the audiophile DAC.

WDTV 6.5k +5k(for HDD) =11.5k
only good incase you are looking for movie playback
and have a large screen TV

just if you only need HiQ audio source .. setup a pc (if u already have a desktop)
with Asus xonar (9k),get a PC remote for 600Rs ...and that will do magic!

I don't want to use PC just to listen to music. thats why i am exploring other options. seems that WDTV is hopeless for my purpose. so what is the best external DAC?

Or shall try to find out Pioneer 610? someone told me that oppo980 is out of production. :sad:

jaudere
tiny portable devices wont give very remarkable audio output
there are some factors that are responsible:
- all portables have SMD ceramic resistor and capacitor
to reduce size , they introduce unwanted coloration
to the audio
-chips that are used for processing are optimized to consume less battery, and are not that high end ..due to cost reduction
beresford is one external DAC ..may b itz 8k with shipping..
check the beresford thread
other good external DACs go beyond 20k ...+dvd player 610 is 4k

why u dislike pc playback? some people told pc have jitter,noise........?believe me at entry level all that are baseless ,may b after u regularly listen to some very high end source you may not like computer as a source.

if you dont like noisy pc(i dont want to write how we can make it very silent,itz possible!),and have a very silent laptop like my vaio ,try hot audio USB DAC,with burrBrown chips ,they have got good reviews:

Ebay-hot Audio

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back