Ideal measurements for a small Home Theatre Room

vapmax

Hi friends

I need help. I just started discussions with builder for building a new house. Total area of the house will be around 1800 sq ft. and the plan is not finalised.
I want to have a dedicated home theater, but i have no idea about the measurement for a good sounding home theatre room. i searched the net but still not able to advice the builder about the required room size.
So please advice :
i)What is the minimum required space for a good small Home Theartre Room. ii) what are the things i should consider before finalising the plan

Thank you
Vipin

I have a 21 x 14 feet hall and I think it is one of the best option. I have a 150 inch screen placed in front and my sitting position is around 19 feet. It looks like a mini multiplex. Distance less then 20 feet is not worthy at all.

Hi friends

I need help. I just started discussions with builder for building a new house. Total area of the house will be around 1800 sq ft. and the plan is not finalised.
I want to have a dedicated home theater, but i have no idea about the measurement for a good sounding home theatre room. i searched the net but still not able to advice the builder about the required room size.
So please advice :
i)What is the minimum required space for a good small Home Theartre Room. ii) what are the things i should consider before finalising the plan

Thank you
Vipin

Since your house is planned at 1800 sft, 10% for dedicated HT is a good start - 180 sft.
You may even be able to pull off 2 sets of surrounds if the room is long enough (say 12x15).
Considerations in planning stage:
  • If you are married, get spouse approval
  • Get 2 power circuits for AV + lights/fans, 1 for AC
  • Proper ventilation (you are in Kerala and dampness can turn out to be an issue)
  • Decide on whether you want in-wall or exposed speaker wiring
  • TV or projector
Post construction
  • If you want to save on acoustics, inherit/start a book collection and turn the HT into a study with floor-to-ceiling bookshelves
  • Say you decide on 2 sets of surrounds; put a small study table on opposite end of screen, get good near field monitors for back surrounds and you have a 2-ch system too

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Remember -
1. Bigger room may be good for visuals but you will need much bigger speakers, subwoofer and electronics to fill it with sound
2. Sound, as you'll realize, is more than half of the movie experience.
3. So choose carefully. I watch a 120" screen from a distance of 13 feet and like it a lot

Thank you guys for the help. I decided for a room of 20x10 size. Structure of the house is over. Now searching for the suitable av receiver and speakers. I want to have Dolby Atmos . My budget for av equipment s including Avr, speakers and projector is 1.5 lac. I am planning to use the wall as the screen. I have a pair of tower speakers from a brand called SPL. I use it for movies and I like the sound too. I plan to use these for the theatre room.
Need your advise on Avr , speakers and projector.
Thanks
Vipin

Considering the room size, if you are utilising the whole of it, at bare minimum you would need
Receiver- Denon X2400 or similar- 70K
Full HD Projector-XGIMI H1 or EPSON TW5300 - 70K
Front R/L-existing speakers
Center - not sure what will match with those SPLs, can try Mission LX-C at 12.5k
Surrounds - Polk OWM3 at 12.5 k
Ceiling-Polk OWM3 at 12.5 k
Subwoofer- BIC F12 - 30K
Cables - another 5k
So as per your requirements, 5.1.2 channel dolby atmos setup with FHD projector would cost upwards of 2.1 lac. You may start with part of the system for now and build up as budget allows later.

Room dimensions in multiples of one another like 20×10 creates issues with sound.
Let the HT experts comment further on that.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back