Ideas to revive a dead subwoofer

Bharadwaj Bunga

I have a 9 year old Boston Acoustics Soundware satellite system which is still working well except for the subwoofer. The plate amp has gone kaput and I've been trying to get it fixed for the past 1 year but to no avail.

I'm planning to get a new sub + bookshelf package after an year or so. I'm thinking of ways to revive the sub so that I can use the system for time being.

1. DIY amplifier that can be retrofitted over amp plate.
2. DIY external amp
3. Buying a prebuilt external amp [least preferred in my case]

Looking for some help here!

I have a 9 year old Boston Acoustics Soundware satellite system which is still working well except for the subwoofer. The plate amp has gone kaput and I've been trying to get it fixed for the past 1 year but to no avail.

I'm planning to get a new sub + bookshelf package after an year or so. I'm thinking of ways to revive the sub so that I can use the system for time being.

1. DIY amplifier that can be retrofitted over amp plate.
2. DIY external amp
3. Buying a prebuilt external amp [least preferred in my case]

Looking for some help here
Use a crown power amp to drive it. Leave the dead amp as is. It will keep the sub cabinet sealed.

Mash

Use a crown power amp to drive it. Leave the dead amp as is. It will keep the sub cabinet sealed.

Mash
Sorry to sound so naive but how sir? I mean how to connect ? I have a Polk subwoofer whose amp died. I was quoted 18k for replacement by ProFx which I refused. I would hence be very glad to understand the way to connect the power/integrated amp to a crown amp to the woofer and then to the speaker.

Sorry to sound so naive but how sir? I mean how to connect ? I have a Polk subwoofer whose amp died. I was quoted 18k for replacement by ProFx which I refused. I would hence be very glad to understand the way to connect the power/integrated amp to a crown amp to the woofer and then to the speaker.
This is what my electrician did few years back when my DIY sub went bad:

Unscrew the plate amp, cut the cables coming from the driver, lengthen them, and attach to any external amplifier. Reseat the plate amp after this. For wire routing, you will have to drill a small hole in the cabinet or the amp plate.

As explained above, unscrew the plate amp. Disconnect the cable from sub driver connecting to the plate amp. Extend the cable to come out of the cabinet somehow and connect to the power amp of choice.

MaSh

This is what my electrician did few years back when my DIY sub went bad:

Unscrew the plate amp, cut the cables coming from the driver, lengthen them, and attach to any external amplifier. Reseat the plate amp after this. For wire routing, you will have to drill a small hole in the cabinet or the amp plate.
One thing to keep in mind is that once the wire has been drawn through the hole that was drilled in the plate amp or the cabinet, it needs to be sealed. Otherwise, there will be a very obnoxious air leak noise when the subwoofer is playing. I learnt the lesson the hard way, I had to reopen the plate and generously pour araldite into the hole

When my subwoofer plate amp died, I opened the plate amp, disconnected the speaker cables, passed the speaker cables through the subwoofer port into my Crown XLS 2502. The crown was in bridged mode receiving the audio signal from the AV Receiver.

Then my AV Receiver died. I replaced it with another Crown XLS 2502 which I already had for HT and used a signal splitter to send the signal from my DAC to both the stereo crown amp and the sub-woofer crown amp.

Set the crossover at the sub-woofer crown amp to 60 Hz and am happily listening to music and watching movies again.

The crown amps must have cost me 25,000/- or so at the time of my purchase

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back