If you had to pick between these brands for floorstanders

anirudhchandrashekar

If you had to pick between these brands for floorstanders, what order of preference would you go with? I will be happy to listen to your personal preferences.

1. Dynaudio
2. PSB
3. Totem

What order would you go with and pick? And why?

I 1s heard totem mini it was awesome, owned emit m20 fantastic speaker, overall better than totem, totem mid were better than dynaudio. Never heard psb.
But i guess it more depend on model then just brand.

The Totems usually need loads of power to shine. I have heard the Mani powered 100 watt Class A mono block amps, and they sounded very good.
Dyn as well as PSB both are highly capable.

If you have a chance to audition, that would be the best route to take.

If you had to pick between these brands for floorstanders, what order of preference would you go with? I will be happy to listen to your personal preferences.

1. Dynaudio
2. PSB
3. Totem

Hmm go with with what sounds good to you. You cannot buy what someone else likes. If you have the chance to audition these, great, else shortlist the the ones you can audition.

You are in Bangalore, so there should be no shortage of brands and models available for audition and purchase.

MaSh

Hmm go with with what sounds good to you. You cannot buy what someone else likes. If you have the chance to audition these, great, else shortlist the the ones you can audition.

You are in Bangalore, so there should be no shortage of brands and models available for audition and purchase.

MaSh

I am not going with anyone else's choice, I would never blindly do that. I am just asking for their preference to see what 'their' views are on the preference, that's it!

What does brand have to do with anything? Choose whatever "sounds" good you. Selecting based on brand isn't a great idea, IMO.
Just wanted to know your opinion on the topic, that's it. Brand does have something to do with it. For example PSB are expensive even though they manufacture entirely in China, so this comes into consideration if you're a purist as well. Just saying.

1. Dynaudio
2. PSB
3. Totem

I would go with least expensive one with at least two drivers (excluding tweeters) of at least 6" diameter. Why? Because I have realized that in order to have system sound relaxed, this is bare minimum. I mean, one should not force a good soccer player to play in a table tennis room and similarly a good table tennis player must not be forced to play on a dining table if you really like to see them playing with their full potential.

Are you buying blind?
If not, hear, hear again another day, then again after a week. Sleep over it.
If possible, lug your gear for audition.

There are no purist components or speakers. Trust your ears, and your wallet.

When auditioning, check the SMs at dealer.
You may be pleasantly surprised.

Anyways, the most important things are:
How big is your room?
What is your amp + source?
Primary content you have mentioned.

If possible, hook up with local FMs who have similar setups.

Cheers,
Raghu

Just wanted to know your opinion on the topic, that's it. Brand does have something to do with it. For example PSB are expensive even though they manufacture entirely in China, so this comes into consideration if you're a purist as well. Just saying.
Brand still doesn't have anything to do with it because why does it matter whether the speakers are made in China or Mexico?
A brand is a promise. It comes in handy when you don't/can't know much about the product, or can't test it as being fit for "your" purpose. If you do, then the brand becomes irrelevant to a large extent. Maybe it retains some value for something like after sales support, but to be honest in India, relying on the brand name for support is not a great idea.
So, I would gain urge you, as have others, to just listen, with your songs, your other equipment, and choose the speaker that sounds good. Forget about the brand.

Are you buying blind?
If not, hear, hear again another day, then again after a week. Sleep over it.
If possible, lug your gear for audition.

There are no purist components or speakers. Trust your ears, and your wallet.

When auditioning, check the SMs at dealer.
You may be pleasantly surprised.

Anyways, the most important things are:
How big is your room?
What is your amp + source?
Primary content you have mentioned.

If possible, hook up with local FMs who have similar setups.

Cheers,
Raghu
No. Please understand what the goal of the thread is. I just want to know if these 4 brands are put across the table, what the forum members would pick and why. For example, the Dynes because of their airy staging or PSB because of their tonality etc.

I am auditioning multiple speakers and I just wanted to know the views of the FMs.

The room is about 15x15 and I will be finalizing a power amp after the speakers are finalized. Cheers!

My experience with the brands you have mentioned.
Dynaudio (listened to them at a show; could not really assess it's musicality)
PSB (have heard Imagine towers; but what caught my attention was the the Imagine mini BS)
Totem (have not heard these; FM @mpw, if I remember used to have a pair)

My experience with brands not on your list.
Harbeth (ooh la la; they are true monitors; truly heard them at a fellow FM's place)
Graham (again great large-ish monitors; this sound will grow on you)
B&W (heard 6xx, CM, and 8xx series towers and SMs; great sound though CM did not impress me that much over the 6xx)
Monitor Audio (have listened to Bronze and Radius series; Bronze was better for music; Radius for looks, needs a sub)
Polk (RTI series A7/A9; visceral speakers if one likes that kind of sound; will do well for rock music)
KEF (Q, R series, LS50 and LS50W; wide dispersion and decent tonality; R series can punch and get rowdy too)

So you can put more brands on the table and audition them without bias or prejudice before pulling the trigger.
Listen to a few home rigs if possible; in "Namma Bengaluru" there are many FMs who may oblige.

Read below to understand how crazy it can get deciding on what you like vs what you buy and live with.

My take:
What did I settle on finally.
Well with my listening area being small 12x12 (open on sides; but limited front to back), towers did not make sense.
Also, I realized that I prefer near field listening; good monitors were out of budget or too much hassle to procure.
So acquired KEF R300s (placed on stands) to replace older B&W DM303s (very loveable speakers).
Are they great; no. They are finicky on placement.
Can I work with them in my listening space and electronics/gadgetry; definitely yes.
I seem to like KEF sound (tsk, tsk, very heavy bias; it better be this way; they cohabit with me)

My power train:
Marantz PM7001 (used as preamp) --> Outlaw Audio M2200 (monoblocks) --> KEF R300

My sources (past and present):
Used to have older Onkyo CD/tape decks (not any more)
DAC (Schiit Modi 2 Uber; busted for about a year now); when working it was very good at its price point.
Currently making do with Chromecast Audio (analog output); stream from HDD or online

My content:
Lots of 60s-today rock, metal, grunge
Some Blues and country (rediscovering it)
Some western classical
Some Indian classical, ghazals
Old Hindi/Kannada

Cheers,
Raghu

My experience with the brands you have mentioned.
Dynaudio (listened to them at a show; could not really assess it's musicality)
PSB (have heard Imagine towers; but what caught my attention was the the Imagine mini BS)
Totem (have not heard these; FM @mpw, if I remember used to have a pair)

My experience with brands not on your list.
Harbeth (ooh la la; they are true monitors; truly heard them at a fellow FM's place)
Graham (again great large-ish monitors; this sound will grow on you)
B&W (heard 6xx, CM, and 8xx series towers and SMs; great sound though CM did not impress me that much over the 6xx)
Monitor Audio (have listened to Bronze and Radius series; Bronze was better for music; Radius for looks, needs a sub)
Polk (RTI series A7/A9; visceral speakers if one likes that kind of sound; will do well for rock music)
KEF (Q, R series, LS50 and LS50W; wide dispersion and decent tonality; R series can punch and get rowdy too)

So you can put more brands on the table and audition them without bias or prejudice before pulling the trigger.
Listen to a few home rigs if possible; in "Namma Bengaluru" there are many FMs who may oblige.

Read below to understand how crazy it can get deciding on what you like vs what you buy and live with.

My take:
What did I settle on finally.
Well with my listening area being small 12x12 (open on sides; but limited front to back), towers did not make sense.
Also, I realized that I prefer near field listening; good monitors were out of budget or too much hassle to procure.
So acquired KEF R300s (placed on stands) to replace older B&W DM303s (very loveable speakers).
Are they great; no. They are finicky on placement.
Can I work with them in my listening space and electronics/gadgetry; definitely yes.
I seem to like KEF sound (tsk, tsk, very heavy bias; it better be this way; they cohabit with me)

My power train:
Marantz PM7001 (used as preamp) --> Outlaw Audio M2200 (monoblocks) --> KEF R300

My sources (past and present):
Used to have older Onkyo CD/tape decks (not any more)
DAC (Schiit Modi 2 Uber; busted for about a year now); when working it was very good at its price point.
Currently making do with Chromecast Audio (analog output); stream from HDD or online

My content:
Lots of 60s-today rock, metal, grunge
Some Blues and country (rediscovering it)
Some western classical
Some Indian classical, ghazals
Old Hindi/Kannada

Cheers,
Raghu
This is exactly what I wanted to hear from the thread. Thank you so much for taking your time to help out, it really does help me with my decision!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back