I'm Fulla Schiit

raghupb

Yes, that's what it says on the PC/Laptop's playback devices list.
Got to hand it to the guys at Schiit for their whacky sense of humor.

Recently, I acquired a pair of headphones (Panasonic RP-HTF890) on the insistence of my 12-year old boy.
Connected these to the headphone output jack of the PC or laptop for listening purposes.
For casual listening, say Youtube videos and other seemingly interesting stuff that my boy explores, the headphone socket out of the motherboard is fine.
I am not a "cans-fan", so was not really impressed with direct interface of headphones with motherboard when listening to music.
The same headphones played great when hooked up to Marantz PM7001, but was missing overall finesse and clarity on the laptop/PC.

Enter Fulla from Schiit. The little DAC/Amp combo is about the size of 2 matchboxes placed end to end.
It has a mini USB one one end, HP socket on the other end and a volume pot.
The volume pot goes from about 7:00 o'clock to 2:00 o'clock, if you imagine it on a clock dial.
It is completely plug and play, no extra drivers required. There is a 4" USB-miniUSB cable included in the package.
Landed cost was USD 85 or Rs. 5700; it was hand carried from US.

Now for my opinions (this is not a review in a true sense); I am not qualified to post a review.
  • The volume needs to be between 9:00 o'clock and 10:00 o'clock; no need to go above this level; all the tracks I sampled were listened to in this range.
  • Bass is precise and tight; mids are clear and flowing; highs are can be heard well enough. Some tracks seemed to lose it on the high end, but this may be due to drivers on the headphones.
  • Vocals are smooth/fluidic/lilting or raw/guttural depending on content; very close to true rendition
  • Excellent dynamics; a few tracks I played demo'ed the swirling effect around the ears
  • I may seriously pick up headphone listening going forward
In summary, for a shade north of 10K, a wonderful beginner's headphone chain (5.7K for DAC/Amp and 4.5K for HPs)

Cheers,
Raghu

Schiit is wonderful (fanboy obviously as I've 3 of their products), but for some reason they separate their amps and DACs.

Most companies (at least the budget end ones) like SMSL include a headphone amp in their DACs. They cost roughly the same too... maybe Schiit has $30 over the competition, but not much. Fulla is the obvious exception here.

Your son should enjoy... my first personal stereo was a walkman in the late 80s from Sony and obviously played a huge part in turning me towards music.

Schiit is wonderful (fanboy obviously as I've 3 of their products), but for some reason they separate their amps and DACs.

Most companies (at least the budget end ones) like SMSL include a headphone amp in their DACs. They cost roughly the same too... maybe Schiit has $30 over the competition, but not much. Fulla is the obvious exception here.

Your son should enjoy... my first personal stereo was a walkman in the late 80s from Sony and obviously played a huge part in turning me towards music.

Boy is loving it. He has his own music collection.
Mostly new pop, hard rock, metal and some rap (choice of tunes pre-approved by my wife)

Schiit's philosophy has been do one thing in a product and get it right at the correct price point.
Can't argue with this business model. Hopefully some can talk them into miniature power bricks.

Cheers,
Raghu

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back