I'm trying to get into turntables, please help me.

nastyrak

What are some of the things I need to know about? From buying a turntable to listening and producing music with it and some terms that are commonly being thrown around. Thanks in advance!

What are some of the things I need to know about? From buying a turntable to listening and producing music with it and some terms that are commonly being thrown around. Thanks in advance!

If you are interested, I have a turntable on sale.
Feel free to ask anything that you need clarification on.

Hi,

Welcome to hifivision. I'm sure you'll pick up a lot from browsing through the various threads under Phono/Turntables. If specific queries occur to you while browsing you are most welcome to post them here.

You should decide upon a budget and think of buying equipment only after you are clear about the basics and what do you really need.

Basically a turntable spins or revolves the record which is placed on a mat on top of a platter. A stylus is attached to a cartridge fixed at one end of a tone arm. On being turned on, the platter revolves the record and the stylus tracks a groove on the record where the sound vibrations have been stored.

The cartridge converts the mechanical movements of the stylus into electrical signals which are relayed to an amplifier which magnifies the signals. The amplifier is connected to loudspeakers which convert the electrical signals into mechanical vibrations which we hear as sound.

I hope this simple description conveys the basics to you.

All the best.

Thanks miroflex for the clear explanation. However, just like the OP, I would like to learn what are the few 5 or 7 or 10 (pick a number) things that you should look for when buying a turntable.

There could be an additional component called Phono Stage or Phono Preamp placed between the Turn Table and a Stereo amplifier / AVR. Some TTs, Stereo amps or AVRs comes with built in Phono Preamp. But generally the built in ones are not that great. The Phono Preamp is used to amplify the low voltage electric signals from the cartridge to line levels so that you can feed the signal to a power amplifier.

Also there are two types of cartridges - MM - Moving Magnet or MC - Moving Coil. Most of the entry level TTs come with MM cart. However MC carts are said to give you more pleasing music from the records you play on TT. I have seen most of the high end TTs use MC carts. Again there are two types of MC - Low Output and High Output.

Based on the type of the cart, you have to choose the right Phono Preamp that works with them.

-John.

If you are interested, I have a turntable on sale.
Feel free to ask anything that you need clarification on.

I would really recommend the TT on sale from Shivam. I use the same TT and its an amazing entry level TT. I can guarantee you that it would give a great introduction to the wonderful world of Vinyl.

-John.

I think you have come to the best place for information. I have browsed these pages off and on and am really impressed by the knowledge, experience and willingness to share information here. A nice little community without the elitist attitude some other forums display!

I came across this article a couple years ago which I found very interesting. Cheers!

Turntable Basics: A Beginner's Guide to Turntables and Vinyl Records - AudioJunkies

At low price end i can provide some turntables as well as phono compatible vintage ampliers.or can provide phono with phono pre.

Thank you so much everyone for the willingness to help. Let me start off by asking a question. This may be a stupid question but whatever, I'm a beginner. Is it possible to use like an wav file or mp3 file and use that on like a blank vinyl or do I have to buy every single vinyl that I want to use?

Thank you so much everyone for the willingness to help. Let me start off by asking a question. This may be a stupid question but whatever, I'm a beginner. Is it possible to use like an wav file or mp3 file and use that on like a blank vinyl or do I have to buy every single vinyl that I want to use?

No Dear, I think you have not got the concept as yet. To answer your question, yes you have to buy every single vinyl that you may want to listen to and that's one beauty of having physically possesing the music which you dont get on a wav or mp3 file. That will certainly be a costly affair esp. in days when an mp3 disc or cd costs meagre money or even come for free when downloaded illegally (which our forum strongly condemns). I suggest before making such investments, you visit someone having a TT set and hear it yourself to get the feel. And if still you want it, then you may go for it. & if you feel that it doesnt make any difference be it analog source or digital, and you like cds or mp3s better, then you dont have to pour in so much money. After all its an individual choice and preference.
In case you like vinyl set up & if your budget permits, Shivam's TT is really a good thing for serious listening.

DO let us know your progress.
Regards,
Saket

If your reference is a mp3 and wav sound then you will be amazed at how warm and detailed a good LP can sound with the right gear (not necessarily expensive). But then again this is an expensive hobby not just in terms of money spent but also the time and effort required to acquire quality content.

And there aren't "blank vinyls" for consumers to record on. Thank God for that ;)

I suggest that you first try listening to some of the songs that you have been hearing as mp3, on a good quality LP. Initially it may not sound as you might have expected but give it some time and once you start enjoying what vinyls have to offer, you will never look back. Buy your turntable after you know the sound of LPs.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back